The Student Room Group

Anyone else sick of all the petitions?

Scroll to see replies

I dont have stress because i did exceptionally well in paper 2 - i only needed a C anyway. You dont get my point: you were being really horrible and immature, you should think about using the right words. You WERE being rude and thats my point
I think I probably got a B this year due to all the stupid mistakes I made but I will defiantly try and get it remarked if that's the case as I worked extremely hard in maths this year and my teacher said I was gonna get an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sameehaiqbal
I dont have stress because i did exceptionally well in paper 2 - i only needed a C anyway. You dont get my point: you were being really horrible and immature, you should think about using the right words. You WERE being rude and thats my point

Nah I got that but at the end of the day I can be as rude as I want. But it's not worth it.

Congratulations if you think you met your grade. Be proud and happy
Original post by RossB1702
I think I probably got a B this year due to all the stupid mistakes I made but I will defiantly try and get it remarked if that's the case as I worked extremely hard in maths this year and my teacher said I was gonna get an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You adv higher?

Why B!?!? I'm sure you will get the A! Maybe you done better than you hope!
Original post by Jeff548.
Lovely.

So you clearly studied more and got better grades or are you just a boss hahaha :cool:

We only have one and I got 74% which was good I guess. Lots of stupid mistakes though and I mean lots. Like forgetting to square root etc. Probably correct that to amateur mistakes lol

Yep the mistakes I made in this years exam were horrendous though. In the vectors questions in paper one where it asked you to get the value of K I accidentally did the full question wrong cause you were to do C-A and I stupidly did B-A after I got the point B haha and I also misread the second question in paper 2 I thought it said equal roots and I said p=2. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You adv higher?

Nah I feel as if the grade A boundary will be like 76-77% this year. I marked mine using the solutions online and I would say I roughly got 70-74%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh and yeah I picked advanced higher as I plan on studying maths at uni after school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
After having a glance over this Nat 5 paper that's causing so much controversy I must say I'm mildly confused..
Granted I was an A student at Nat 5 and an A student at higher (although my grade did vary throughout the year a lot) but I think Paper 1 really doesn't look that difficult at all? I'm a year out of practice and hated maths with a passion and while some questions are obviously challenging due to the fact you know, it's an exam (A, B and C level questions mixed ) and not a NAB (solely C level questions) - overall it seems to be a pretty fair paper to me with a good weighting of fairly simplistic C-Level questions and more taxing A-Level ones.

I doubt the SQA will do much in response to the petition, however the widespread outrage leaves me questioning the current standard of teaching in schools - or indeed, the current standard of the candidates being presented.
(edited 7 years ago)
There's not really much need for petitions to lower the grade boundaries because the SQA adjust the boundaries for every subject depending on how well all candidates do anyway, happens for every single subject. A lot of people seemed to have found nat 5 maths difficult which means that they will adjust them.

When I sat nat 5 maths last year, we hardly went over parts of the course because we were told that there wasn't a lot of time. This is something which is quite concerning and I can completely understand that people will be annoyed if that comes up in an exam, however you just have to look at the course assessment specification to see what you should know.
You adv higher?

Yep the mistakes I made in this years exam were horrendous though. In the vectors questions in paper one where it asked you to get the value of K I accidentally did the full question wrong cause you were to do C-A and I stupidly did B-A after I got the point B haha and I also misread the second question in paper 2 I thought it said equal roots and I said p=2. Oh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah I feel as if the grade A boundary will be like 76-77% this year. I marked mine using the solutions online and I would say I roughly got 70-74%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think they will make it that high? Harshly marked I got 74% but normal marking I got around 80%.

Yeah like in paper 1 I forgot to square one of the questions. Just stupid mistakes.

I don't think they would make it that high? Do you really think that?
Reply 70
I do agree. A lot of people are taking this too far, like when you leave school and look for a job, ya don't petition for the work load being "too difficult" like.... you would get your arse fired ?? most people need to accept that it's an exam! you don't always get your way with things in life
It's just funny because everyone knows here (I hope) that these petitions are going to get patched by the SQA, and even admitted it themselves on the news for national 5 maths.

Yes, back to the original post, these petitions are getting out of hand, but so are some people who are trying to justify that if someone found their incredibly difficult, mind numbing maths exam straightforward, they think too highly of themselves. I don't get how you can take all this information about your courses, but can't take in the fact that perhaps, some people find what you do a bit easier than others, while you might find what they find hard, relatively easy.
I'm in sixth year so I did the bulk of my highers last year. I didn't sit higher maths last year (I was always **** at it and I didn't need it for what I wanted to do at uni anyway so national five was enough) but a number of my friends did and i remember people were in literal hysterics. One of our favourite maths teachers broke down crying over how hard the paper was. In that case I believe a petition was necessary because the maths paper was unfairly hard to everyone who took it. Yes the maths papers are beginning to gain a reputation for being difficult and I can understand the stress over national five (to my not at all mathematical brain the national five paper did look tough) but at the same time it's pathetic how other people are just running with the whole petition idea and ruining it for everyone else. I mean a petition for higher music? Come on!

There are some real issues with the exam board and with the new curriculum if you ask me. Some subjects appear to be slightly better for the changes but if you ask me the multiple issues coming up seem to show that there are some real problems needing to be addressed. I was the first year group to go through these changes and a week before we were due to start exams the head of the SQA resigned. This year there was a leak two days before higher English and a tsunami of petitions over other exams. It'll be interesting to see how results day plays out this time around...
I just hope everyone did well in their exams and that if youre not happy on results day just remember its not the end of the world and that theres other ways to uni. Keep trying. - didnt really want to argue with anyone on this thread so apologies everyone
Reply 74
I agree that making a petition after every exam a few pupils find "hard", often through poor preparation - 2014 CfE H Maths was an exception to this - makes all of us look pretty stupid tbh. The SQA don't care about petitions and they can see for themselves whether candidates found an exam hard or not and change boundaries based on what they find. Petitions don't do that, the SQA have always done that of their own accord.
I'm not going to get into arguments over specific exams/petitions here as I think I've already voiced my opinion on various other threads, but so far looking at some of the papers (the ones I can understand, as in I did those subjects) I can't see what people are on about - meaning in terms of standards of paper layout, questions asked and topics covered - and certainly nothing that better preparation either from teachers or on your own wouldn't have solved.
I do agree that results day this year will be interesting, and the documents that detail how each exam faired will also make for some interesting reading when they are released.
Original post by PTS_99
I agree that making a petition after every exam a few pupils find "hard", often through poor preparation - 2014 CfE H Maths was an exception to this - makes all of us look pretty stupid tbh. The SQA don't care about petitions and they can see for themselves whether candidates found an exam hard or not and change boundaries based on what they find. Petitions don't do that, the SQA have always done that of their own accord.
I'm not going to get into arguments over specific exams/petitions here as I think I've already voiced my opinion on various other threads, but so far looking at some of the papers (the ones I can understand, as in I did those subjects) I can't see what people are on about - meaning in terms of standards of paper layout, questions asked and topics covered - and certainly nothing that better preparation either from teachers or on your own wouldn't have solved.
I do agree that results day this year will be interesting, and the documents that detail how each exam faired will also make for some interesting reading when they are released.

Wait the SQA release documents on how the exams were for the students ? When do they usually release them?
Reply 76
Original post by Ethan100
Wait the SQA release documents on how the exams were for the students ? When do they usually release them?

Yup! Look up "SQA grade boundary decisions". I'm not sure when they'll be posted this year but usually they come out around October. I can post them in this forum when they get released, if you want.
Original post by SSJBlue
Yup! Look up "SQA grade boundary decisions". I'm not sure when they'll be posted this year but usually they come out around October. I can post them in this forum when they get released, if you want.

That would be great :P Haha Gonna have a look at the 2015 one
There's a document here on how many people achieve each grade in every exam, plus for each subject there is always an course report saying what questions most candidates got wrong and what was done well.

http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/64717.html
Lol @ this thread.

School exams are piss. I love how loads of you want to study medicine/science at top unis then make petitions about how hard higher maths is lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending