The Student Room Group

Prom Suit: Slim fit vs Regular Fit

Prom Season is approaching!
I have one simple question regarding suit choice.

Regular Fit or Slim Fit?
I assume most people will go with slim fit, but I don't think I would like one. I hate skinny ties and big ties on slim fit suits. I'm thinking of going in a regular fit suit, but what do you advise? Go with the crowd or wear what you like? My decision mostly comes from watching Suits, with Mike's slim fit suit and skinny tie being heavily scrutinised compared to Harvey Specter's regular fit suits.
Original post by Marshall Taylor

Regular Fit or Slim Fit?
I assume most people will go with slim fit, but I don't think I would like one. I hate skinny ties and big ties on slim fit suits. I'm thinking of going in a regular fit suit, but what do you advise? Go with the crowd or wear what you like? My decision mostly comes from watching Suits, with Mike's slim fit suit and skinny tie being heavily scrutinised compared to Harvey Specter's regular fit suits.

Slim fit suit. Don't wear a skinny tie OR a big tie, wear something inbetween?

But to be honest, it's best to go into the store of your choice, get measured and get a proper fitting suit. Gieves and hawkes, Ted Baker or something. Hugo Boss are too skinny imo.
Reply 2
Depends on your body shape really. I need slim-fit formal attire because I'm a skinny-ass dude, but yeah, just pick whatever you feel fits you best.
Depends if you're planning on attracting any attention? Slim fit suits and skinny ties are definitely more fashionable at the moment and will be more flattering.
Personally I would go for a slim fit for MYSELF because a regular fit would look way to baggy and ugly because I'm skinny af. But, if you can pull of a regular suit and not look like it's falling off your shoulders etc, then why not? Go for it!
I'm about 6ft Tall and I weigh 70-75kg if that helps. Kinda broad shoulders like a mesomorph. Quite lean too, but not looking for any attention or anything (too focussed on exams for any distractions!)
Why don't you go to a store and try both types of suits on. Then buy the type that flatters you more :smile:
Update: bought a tuxedo in size small, fits perfectly, just extended the trouser length.
Reply 8
Original post by Alexion
Depends on your body shape really. I need slim-fit formal attire because I'm a skinny-ass dude, but yeah, just pick whatever you feel fits you best.

Original post by homeland.lsw
Personally I would go for a slim fit for MYSELF because a regular fit would look way to baggy and ugly because I'm skinny af. But, if you can pull of a regular suit and not look like it's falling off your shoulders etc, then why not? Go for it!

In the interest of debunking a common misconception; slim-fit caters for those classically 'mesomorphic' males whose shoulder-to-waist ratio is such that a regular fit of corresponding size would result in excess swathes of fabric at the midsection, not those who are merely 'skinnier' overall.

I take a thirty-inch waist—arguably tending towards "skinny as ****" myself—yet an off-the-shelf XS Regular from Next conforms far better to my physique than any Slim-Fit S.
(edited 7 years ago)
Slim fit. Easy
Original post by Marshall Taylor

Regular Fit or Slim Fit?

i'd got for regular suits as they allow you to move more so you can walk comfortably
Using Suits as an example as you did. Harvey has great definition and size and can fill out a regular fit suit. Kids going to prom don't have that as they have't grown into their bodies yet and as such don't match the proportions of the people the cuts of the suits were designed for. Regular and slim fit suits are for two different builds, basing it on what an incrediblely well dress lawyer wears isn't a good idea as it is a very formal , very expensive attire.

As you are 6ft and only 70-75kg I would 100% go with the slim-fit suit and shirts, otherwise they will look to boxy on you. Harvey has tailored suits don't just it by that.

FYI I'm 6ft1 and 93kg lean, and I still wear slim fit shirts and suits just because I don't like the stiff and boxy regular cuts. As the jamesthehhustler who advised against slim fit because apparently you can't walk comfortably in them, he is wrong. The right cut and the right size come into it, slim cut is for slim people and if you're 6ft and 70-75kg with a young persons proportions then 100% for the the slimfit, and pleaseeeeee don't get a hat.
Original post by geolowiser
Using Suits as an example as you did. Harvey has great definition and size and can fill out a regular fit suit. Kids going to prom don't have that as they have't grown into their bodies yet and as such don't match the proportions of the people the cuts of the suits were designed for. Regular and slim fit suits are for two different builds, basing it on what an incrediblely well dress lawyer wears isn't a good idea as it is a very formal , very expensive attire.

As you are 6ft and only 70-75kg I would 100% go with the slim-fit suit and shirts, otherwise they will look to boxy on you. Harvey has tailored suits don't just it by that.

FYI I'm 6ft1 and 93kg lean, and I still wear slim fit shirts and suits just because I don't like the stiff and boxy regular cuts. As the jamesthehhustler who advised against slim fit because apparently you can't walk comfortably in them, he is wrong. The right cut and the right size come into it, slim cut is for slim people and if you're 6ft and 70-75kg with a young persons proportions then 100% for the the slimfit, and pleaseeeeee don't get a hat.

Just to clarify, I said that because if you're buying your first suit you have to realise that the suit cuts were designed for adults who have finished puberty as that is their primary demographic. At 6ft and 75kg your chest hasn't filled out yet and your shoulders have some room to grow still, a slim-fit suit won't last you very long but it will look much better on you. It's worth going to a shop and trying them both in a range of sizes. Don't try on black suits when attempting to compare cuts as the darkenss can hide folds and curves etc.
Solve the problem- don't take part in this American tradition. Have an evening out with friends somewhere else instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending