The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology Unit 6 IAL (WBIO6)/ May 13th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PlayerBB
I don't think that's right, the experiment was about the effect of frequency of yoga classes on vital capacity

Posted from TSR Mobile

A control was ppl who did not go to yoga class
So u compare the vital capacity of the ppl who went to those who did not go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bdoon esm
A control was ppl who did not go to yoga class
So u compare the vital capacity of the ppl who went to those who did not go

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah exactly which makes going or not going to yoga class is the independent variable and the vital capacity is the dependent variable which depends whether the person went or not to a yoga class

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
For the random error question, i wrote that not all of the counted eggs may be transferred to the nest (my method involved counting the eggs first, then transferring them to a nest). Is this correct?
Original post by majidabdul
What are variables in question 1

I talked about the size of the egg, type of soil used to incubate the eggs in eg. Loamy soil, Volume or depth of soil used to cover the eggs eg. 5cm, Using eggs from the same parents(controlling genetic factors).. What were yours?
Original post by ab9826
For the random error question, i wrote that not all of the counted eggs may be transferred to the nest (my method involved counting the eggs first, then transferring them to a nest). Is this correct?

I don't think that's right. If this is so, then it would be a systematic error. Random errors are errors that come about unexpectedly.. Here you could have talked about the eggs being not viable enough for them to hatch, etc.
Guys I made a really stupid mistake omfg:laugh:
I forgot to mention that you use a spirometer to determine VC! It was a spirometer question and I had it in my head but it seemed so obvious I didn't state it, nor did I state how you take the value from the spirometer graph. Feeling stupid :frown: I'll defo lose two potential marks there I think.
Original post by Annaaix_
Guys I made a really stupid mistake omfg:laugh:
I forgot to mention that you use a spirometer to determine VC! It was a spirometer question and I had it in my head but it seemed so obvious I didn't state it, nor did I state how you take the value from the spirometer graph. Feeling stupid :frown: I'll defo lose two potential marks there I think.

Ahh that sucks :/ I also made stupid mistakes in this part, I mentioned that I find the VC from the peaks and also from the troughs and I didn't write increase for the dependent variable, feeling so stupid right now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How difficult did you find the exam compared to previous years
Guys, what were your calculated means ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah exactly which makes going or not going to yoga class is the independent variable and the vital capacity is the dependent variable which depends whether the person went or not to a yoga class

Posted from TSR Mobile

If i write down the control but don't mention that this was the control will it be right? And can someone pls tell me that if i wrote in 3d that a bar graph must be drawn for the ones who did yoga and the ones who did not do yoga will it be totally wrong?
Guys, what were your calculated means ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For Modern Apples: 13.5 g
For Traditional Apples : 12.4 g
Original post by Mahdia Akter
If i write down the control but don't mention that this was the control will it be right? And can someone pls tell me that if i wrote in 3d that a bar graph must be drawn for the ones who did yoga and the ones who did not do yoga will it be totally wrong?

Did you also talk about Variability (Error Bars) to be drawn on the graph? If so, You are good to go. You need to have shown a bar graph with labelled axes, all the Independent variables i.e frequency of participating in yoga classes in terms of days or no. of classes taken, and some error bars. But they also give you marks if you just write it, so not to worry. :smile:
Reply 92
Guys, what do u think will de the grade boundary for A* this time??
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
Did you also talk about Variability (Error Bars) to be drawn on the graph? If so, You are good to go. You need to have shown a bar graph with labelled axes, all the Independent variables i.e frequency of participating in yoga classes in terms of days or no. of classes taken, and some error bars. But they also give you marks if you just write it, so not to worry. :smile:

In 3c i wrote independent variable is the frequency of participation but didnt not mention in terms of days or anything and wrote the experiment should be done on people who do yoga and who do not.....that's it!In 3d i drew a table of groups of ppl who did yoga and their corresponding VC and ppl who did not do yoga and their corresponding VCThen told to draw a bar graph with proper labelling in the axis. It may sound complicating but pls give your opinions cuz i m already way too demoralised to study for the next exam :frown: and no i did not give any error bars just wrote that a bar graph with the name of these axis will be drawn and a statistical test
(edited 7 years ago)
In 3c i wrote independent variable is the frequency of participation but didnt not mention in terms of days or anything and wrote the experiment should be done on people who do yoga and who do not.....that's it!In 3d i drew a table of groups of ppl who did yoga and their corresponding VC and ppl who did not do yoga and their corresponding VCThen told to draw a bar graph with proper labelling in the axis. It may sound complicating but pls give your opinions cuz i m already way too demoralised to study for the next exam :frown:

You should not lose marks for that, there was two ways to describe the experiment, either comparing between people who attended yoga and people who didn't attend or as the frequency of classes increase, the VC increase with people who didn't attend yoga classses as a control. In your case, you should draw a bar graph but in the other case you should draw a linear or scatter graph

However, you might lose a mark for not writing that the frequency of yoga classes was in days

Posted from TSR Mobile
In 3c i wrote independent variable is the frequency of participation but didnt not mention in terms of days or anything and wrote the experiment should be done on people who do yoga and who do not.....that's it!In 3d i drew a table of groups of ppl who did yoga and their corresponding VC and ppl who did not do yoga and their corresponding VCThen told to draw a bar graph with proper labelling in the axis. It may sound complicating but pls give your opinions cuz i m already way too demoralised to study for the next exam :frown:

You may lose a mark in 3d for not showing bar graphs WITH variablity. THe independent variable is "Frquency of participation", so just saying who did yoga and didn't do yoga may not give you the mark as you were supposed to specify the no. of classes attended or perhaps the no. of days attended to the classes. But that's only 2 marks. So don't worry! Stop thinking about this paper and start revising for the next one. You can't change what you did the Bio paper but you can change what you may get in the Next paper. Good Luck! :h:
Original post by Sandy_Vega30
For Modern Apples: 13.5 g
For Traditional Apples : 12.4 g

Thank god!! Thanks :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank god!! Thanks :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your Welcome! :h:
Original post by ssshah2
you could have either chosen different levels of yoga or you could have done one with yoga, and without.
If you did with different levels, your test had to be spearman rank, otherwise it had to be a t-test.
Dependent variable was yoga whilst vital capacity was independent

It's wrong to do a differentiation investigation as we were asked to study the affect of the frequency of attendance on the vital capacity. We were supposed to investigate the claim that the more the athlete attends the better the results.
It had to be a correlation investigation, number of classes per week is definitely continuous data, so proper statistical test is spearman's rank or PMCC,
Dependent variable is only the % change in vital capacity, change itself most probably won't get you the mark.
Reply 99
Original post by Annaaix_
I did the same thing! It's still correct because they specified a table showing means of traditional and modern apples.
Adding the raw data in the table would be including the sugar content of each apple but don't think we had to add specific names!
As long as all the numbers were there :smile:

oh phew. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending