The Student Room Group

not showing up to an exam?

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure your parents would get fined £60 or something like that, that's what my school have said anyway but I'm not sure if that's true!
And I got told if there's a serious problem that makes it so you can't physically turn up then you'll get whatever your mock grade was for that subject!
Reply 62
Original post by SkyeAmber
I'm pretty sure your parents would get fined £60 or something like that, that's what my school have said anyway but I'm not sure if that's true!

Your school may have a policy to do this, but it isn't a standard thing. Also, a serious problem is pretty much unconscious in hospital, and all other situations don't qualify to not take the exam.
Original post by kirigiri
i have never read anywhere that you need lit to get into uni. some people arent even offered to take lit. i dont see why unis would check your gcse grades if theyre entirely irrelevant to the course youre taking, arent pushed by the government, and again, arent even offered to everyone as a separate gcse (since some take the hybrid).

im not asking for it to be condoned, i just wanted to know. its stressful because i dont want to sit the exam. if i do have to sit it, despite the fact that i know ill fail, i will still panic immensely. i panic really easily. comes with the ill mental health.

thank you, thats what i was looking for.
they couldnt really give me a grade anyway. i missed the lit mock, and i havent done anything at all in class over the last two years that could be considered either. they would have absolutely Nothing to go off of.

look, it seems like you really do have some problems, which are really hard for people to understand, especially in a forum like this. I personally cannot imagine any situation where I'd feel like you do now, and that makes me want to say 'omg just do them??' But obviously I literally cannot imagine what being you is like. Look on official sites, Q&As, all that jazz. Search, and you will find :smile: it may be a bit more work than just asking but there you go :smile:

I have extreme circumstances, and I'm amidst my GCSEs, but I cannot expect anyone to really fully empathise with the way I feel. I feel obligated to do my exams, despite my ~hardship~ if you will. Sorry if I'm swaying to criticism, I find it really difficult imagining a situation where I would just not do my exams ANYWAY

good luck. Maybe ask a parent or good friend to help you find the relevant information. Remember, whatever you do won't be an easy-way, so it may actually be a solution to get tutoring or something and stick it, and try to pass :smile:
Reply 64
have you even read this properly? or is your reading comprehension just this poor?
i am not "everyone". I AM TRYING MY HARDEST. living is difficult - the fact that im in school for more than two days a week is a massive achievement for me. it's not just a case of me deciding not to do something - I LITERALLY CANNOT DO IT. MY BRAIN DOES NOT WORK THE WAY IT SHOULD. IM SORRY.

@Juno thank you, i really appreciate your understanding a lot and a lot. ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ youre getting across what i mean a lot better than i ever could OTL

You don't have to apologise for you not being able to do, if thats the case then you must have a disability, which I have nothing against.

However, if you don't have a disability then you need to try harder to stay afloat.

Also, if you re-read my post, it says 'IF everyone'. I emphasised the IF to say if more people shared the same mentality as you do... I wasn't saying you are everyone I was saying if everyone was like you.

note: despite lots of people being 'officially' disabled they manage to achieve greater things then both you and I, and in comparison giving up in english literature is minuscule.

In summary... try harder.
Original post by Dammio
You don't have to apologise for you not being able to do, if thats the case then you must have a disability, which I have nothing against.

However, if you don't have a disability then you need to try harder to stay afloat.

I usually don't get involved in this stuff, but seriously - kirigirl has literally said she's autistic. I'm not sure if you missed that or something, but being autistic means you're disabled.

And even if she wasn't disabled - people generally know their own limits better than other people do. If they say that they can't do something, it's not because they can but they don't want to - it's literally because they can't. So at least try to show some respect when someone asks for advice.
ive seen some posts on the internet talking about the consequences of not showing up to exams but i dont know whether theyre still applicable now so

what could happen if i didnt show up to my two english lit exams?
i literally know none of the content and i didnt complete my coursework. i wanted to drop it but the person who decides that in my school is really tough on dropping exams + i already dropped all of chemistry (C1, C2 & C3) last year and after school ad maths and french for this year. i know my camhs worker would support me on this but:/

edit: please stop telling me that not showing up is daft and that i should sit it. i didnt ask for your opinion. i just want to know what the consequences of skipping it could be.

OK, this is English lit. You could not show up and get a U, and nothing else would happen but I think we can do a little better than that :smile: . My english lit gcse isn't for another week, but you might be different. Lets assume be have the same exam board. Anyway, you don't need to do lots for english lit- it's actually really easy! 1) GOOGLE A SYNOPSIS OF YOUR BOOK. Get a general idea of what its about.2) READ THE DAMN BOOK! That'll take you like half a day if you get up early. 3) ORDER 'YORK NOTES' on your book. These are a really good series of notes that give you an indepth understanding of the book and the underlying themes. Seriously, these things are amazing- roughly about £8 off amazon and they come super fast. 4) writing an essay:OK, this is super simple.In the exam you'll have 2 questions, an extract or a whole text Q, you can do either. DON"T EVEN BOTHER READING THE WHOLE TEXT ONE, JUST DO THE EXTRACT. Go through the text and highlight about 4 really powerful images that have alot of meaning behind them. DON’T bother with an intro-it gets you no marks. BUT PLACE THE EXTRACT –i.e. say whereabouts in your book the extract comes (shows you’ve read it :P) Start each paragraph with a senteance about the quotation you're going to analyse and how IT RELATES TO THE QUESTION. Then put in your quote. Finally talk about it. e.g: (for sake of argument we'll use the quote 'if he be mr hyde, then I shall be mr seek' from my set text (jekyll and hyde) and say the question is ‘how does the author strikingly portray Utterson’s intention to track down Hyde?) Stevenson portrays Utterson as having determination and intent in the quote ‘if he be Mr Hyde, I shall be Mr Seek’. "If he be Mr. Hyde is a homophone of "hide", or "keep secret". Thus Stevenson uses ‘seek’, as it is the opposite of ‘hyde’ to illustrate to the reader how different Utterson is to Hyde. ‘Seek’ also implies that he wants to discover the truth, as we would expect from a lawyer. By using the analogy to the children’s game, hide and seek, Stevenson creates a sinister twist on childish imagery, analogous to chapter one where Hyde tramples on the child. Overall, This shows that Utterson is more than willing to uncover the real secret of what is going on between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.This isn't my best work, but I'm aiming for an A* and have one in my coursework, so if you're just trying to get a C it should be sufficient. JUST LOOK FOR IMAGES! good luck and don't give up! :smile: xxx
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest