The Student Room Group

Can my teacher withdraw my Ucas reference?

My teacher threatened me saying he would withdraw my Ucas reference he wrote, as i have been coming into School late and have not been trying very hard. Is that actually possible? Will that affect my unconditional offer?
Firstly, please don't bump posts after only half an hour or so. You're asking quite a specialized question so it's unlikely you'll get a response straight away.

With regards to withdrawing a reference, this would be highly unusual, and I think it would be best to contact UCAS directly to see if this could happen and if a uni could withdraw their offer in this circumstance. My feeling is that if he was able to withdraw it as it was no longer accurate, then it might be possible for unis to reconsider their offers, but really this is something you'll need UCAS to clarify.

Chances are it's just an empty threat, as this would be pretty extreme action to take unless there's actually more to the situation than "not trying very hard".

A bigger issue would be if you were no longer allowed to sit your final exams. Unconditional offers are usually still dependent on you taking all the exams you said you would in your original application.

It's also worth bearing in mind at uni you'll need to be very self motivated- there won't be anyone checking up on you or nagging you to do the work. If you get into bad habits at this point in sixth form, it can be hard to get back into good habits in September. Also, even if you've got an unconditional offer, future employers might look at your A-level results, so it's in your interests to get the best results you can.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Firstly, please don't bump posts after only half an hour or so. You're asking quite a specialized question so it's unlikely you'll get a response straight away.

With regards to withdrawing a reference, this would be highly unusual, and I think it would be best to contact UCAS directly to see if this could happen and if a uni could withdraw their offer in this circumstance. My feeling is that if he was able to withdraw it as it was no longer accurate, then it might be possible for unis to reconsider their offers, but really this is something you'll need UCAS to clarify.

Chances are it's just an empty threat, as this would be pretty extreme action to take unless there's actually more to the situation than "not trying very hard".

A bigger issue would be if you were no longer allowed to sit your final exams. Unconditional offers are usually still dependent on you taking all the exams you said you would in your original application.

It's also worth bearing in mind at uni you'll need to be very self motivated- there won't be anyone checking up on you or nagging you to do the work. If you get into bad habits at this point in sixth form, it can be hard to get back into good habits in September. Also, even if you've got an unconditional offer, future employers might look at your A-level results, so it's in your interests to get the best results you can.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the bumping as well. I have already sat my exams and decided to take a third year, to have a break. However i decided to still go back to school to keep my mind active. So i am now just studying a btec. So would be dependent on whether i complete the btec or not? Or is it different for btecs?
Reply 3
Original post by tailred
Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the bumping as well. I have already sat my exams and decided to take a third year, to have a break. However i decided to still go back to school to keep my mind active. So i am now just studying a btec. So would be dependent on whether i complete the btec or not? Or is it different for btecs?

Do you have offers? Are they conditional?

And even if they are unconditional offers, you would still be expected to complete any qualifications you mentioned in your application (i.e. your BTEC).
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Do you have offers? Are they conditional?

And even if they are unconditional offers, you would still be expected to complete any qualifications you mentioned in your application (i.e. your BTEC).

Sorry for the late reply and yes it is an unconditional. So if i do not complete my qualification, even though i already have the needed grade to get in, will my place at university be taken away?
Original post by tailred
Sorry for the late reply and yes it is an unconditional. So if i do not complete my qualification, even though i already have the needed grade to get in, will my place at university be taken away?

There's no guarantee. The unconditional is based on your application being accurate - ie you will complete the qualifications you said you would.

If you change your application then your universities are allowed to change their offers or withdraw them.

If you're considering dropping a qualification or your school is threatening to withdraw you from it then contact your university and ask them if your offer will still be honoured if you don't finish the BTEC.
No.

UCAS wouldn't even entertain such a request!

Its a silly threat from a teacher - ignore it.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
There's no guarantee. The unconditional is based on your application being accurate - ie you will complete the qualifications you said you would.

If you change your application then your universities are allowed to change their offers or withdraw them.

If you're considering dropping a qualification or your school is threatening to withdraw you from it then contact your university and ask them if your offer will still be honoured if you don't finish the BTEC.

Ok thank i will do.

Quick Reply