The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL Physics Unit 3 WPH03 May June 2016 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by moath700
guys, for the comment on safety, i put relatively safe experiment/ low risk experiment
and i got the vernier caliper question wrong, i put C
question 7 was actually nice, it was a delightful change
but there was a comment on whether repeat readings are appropriate or not, i wrote they are unless lamp gets hot, is that right?
also there was list additional apparatus, i wrote protractor and pins
also Last question, the resistivity was 1.11 x 10^-6, but i wrote it only to 2 SF, is that fine?

2 SF should be fine; I predict that the mark scheme will have a range of accepted values for the resistivity, and if yours is in it, then you should get the marks.

The lamp getting hot is irrelevant in the experiment, because you're using it as a light source and measuring angles. If it was in an electrical circuit, then the lamp heating up would be relevant.
guys, for the comment on safety, i put relatively safe experiment/ low risk experiment
but there was a comment on whether repeat readings are appropriate or not, i wrote they are unless lamp gets hot, is that right?
also Last question, the resistivity was 1.11 x 10^-6, but i wrote it only to 2 SF, is that fine?

Repeat reading are necessary when it comes to angles. you should atleast repeat it three times for the same angle of incidence to get an average which makes your answer more reliable and accurate. I got 1.20x10^-6 for resistivity. for additional equipment I mentioned protracter and optical pins. And its a low risk experiment because its low voltage used
Original post by Ayaaazzz
what did you guys answer for the question about how to keep current constant? I wrote use a variable resistor.

I wrote keep the temp constant
Original post by Ahmed3651998
What was the diameter of the wire from which we had to calculate the area.
if u remember tell the diameter.

0.56 x 10 ^ -3 m

Your question 7 I wrote the same, and it should be fine.
also the additional apparatus was only 1 needed so I wrote protractor.
last question not sure if there is a range but here is the workout that was needed

First find the gradient, which I got 4.96 which rounded to 5,
The resistivity should equal = Gradient x Cross Sectional Area
Resistivity = 5 x (Pi[(given diameter)/2]^2)
Resistivity in my calculation = 1.23x10^-6
Original post by don't cry-craft
But doesn't a variable resistor also alter the current in the circuit?

It does but if you have an ammeter connected and as far as the connections are at same place, you can ensure that the current is constant.
Original post by joose_99
just kiddin. Anyone doing computer science (9608) tomorrow?

Yo How did your computer science exam go?
Mine was component 12 what was yours?
Anyway it was comparatively harder than the previous 2 terms.
Original post by ahnafhaque
Yo How did your computer science exam go?
Mine was component 12 what was yours?
Anyway it was comparatively harder than the previous 2 terms.

I did component 12 too and I also thought it was quite hard. I hope they are lenient with the grade boundaries.
Original post by joose_99
I did component 12 too and I also thought it was quite hard. I hope they are lenient with the grade boundaries.

Yeah. Anyway remember that "special register" question where they asked you to talk about the fetch cycle?
I described all the 4 registers(mar,mdr,cir and pc) and their function during the fetch cycle. What do you think the correct answer is?
and also that DBMS question where they asked about the use of query processor, what did you write there?
Did anyone find any unofficial mark scheme for unit 3?

Yeah i got the same answer for the resistivity. 2 significant figures is fine :smile:
i remember my value for resistivity it was 1.4*10-6 is it right?
My answer on comment on safety:
Although the experiment has a low risk but there is a chance that the glass block can fall down and injure the student's toes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yepp resistivity was something like (1.xyxyxy)x10^-6 and everyone make sure the unit for resistivity is given which is (ohm meter)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
i have one question wrong way that who you control current , if our answer is wrong does it effect the other marks and what xaminear thinkabout me, i am to much woried!
Reply 175
Wats ur guys opinion about the grade boundaries.....??how many marks may be 4 A
Original post by Abdullahmaqbool
i have one question wrong way that who you control current , if our answer is wrong does it effect the other marks and what xaminear thinkabout me, i am to much woried!

don't worry examiners dont award marks like that and they dont cut if one easy question is wrong. There are many examiners that check our papers and the papers are checked under circulation of mixed examiners so there wont be any problem.
One examiner wont check one whole paper, its like check one question then pass it on to another to check it.
Well for the grade boundaries i think its gonna be 30 (+/-)1
for an A
Reply 178
Well thats gr8. In the last question for the assumption of resistivity i worte two points
1. Temperature may not be constant
2. Terminal velocity not reached
So can any 1 of these be correct......there shouldnt be parallex error r8 coz they mentioned that our calculation is correct doesnt that mean there is no parallex error in our calculation????
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jannz
Well thats gr8. In the last question for the assumption of resistivity i worte two points
1. Temperature may not be constant
2. Terminal velocity not reached
So can any 1 of these be correct......there shouldnt be parallex error r8 coz they mentioned that our calculation is correct doesnt that mean there is no parallex error in our calculation????

Terminal velocity is absolutely wrong. Beaucse terminal velocity is not in any way related to resistivity

Quick Reply

Latest