The Student Room Group

Let's get this straight, laptops vs desktops

If a desktop and a laptop have the same performance which one would you prefer? What reasons would you choose a desktop with worse performance over a laptop?

Don't mention cost in your answers, assume money is infinite.

Edit: Ok loads of varied answers to this thread. Responses tend to favour laptops in this scenario but there are good cases to be made either side.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Same performance? Laptop, clearly. The only reason to buy a desktop is as a workstation, since performance output usually outranks a laptop.

If you're offering me a laptop with the same power as a desktop, I'd take it :lol:
Reply 2
yeah, only reason to get a desktop is if you're making it powerful as **** for graphics work, gaming etc.
Original post by xylas
If a desktop and a laptop have the same performance which one would you prefer? What reasons would you choose a desktop with worse performance over a laptop?

Youve already distorted this against desktops because youve taken out the two main advantages. Namely desktops are cheaper or for the same money you get a lot more power.

I would prefer a laptop if I needed a laptop. As you have given me infinite money and top notch performance, then ofce a laptop is more attractive because the scenario you decided in is artificial.

Even then a desktop has better reliability, is easier to repair and upgradeable. I can also have a 29" monitor and excellent sound and storage.

Your last question about choosing a worst perfomring desktop over a laptop is even more stupid.
Laptop. It easily plugs into an external monitor, giving you the best of both worlds.
Original post by PaulACP
yeah, only reason to get a desktop is if you're making it powerful as **** for graphics work, gaming etc.

Or if you dont plan on moving it and dont want a small screen
Original post by xylas

A laptop obviously, since you can hook it up to the mains with a monitor, keyboard and mouse plugged in and use it like a desktop if you wanted to as well. The only real detriment the laptop has is thermals and noise.

However considering similarly powerful laptops and substantially more expensive than their desktop counterparts and there aren't even laptops capable of matching some not-to-insane desktop builds, it's not really a fair fight when you say "same performance" and "Don't mention cost".
On average, ignoring what you said about performance. I've ignored cost as well, but in reality, cost plays a huge factor.

Desktops
+ no battery
+ more customisability
+ better components available
+ full sized graphics cards
+ more RAM
+ more storage
+ more memes
+ more peripherals
+ changeable peripherals
+ flexible setups
+ more performance possible
- stationary unless you got wheels
- weigh more than ur mum
- take up more space than ur mum

Laptops
+ can move them around
+ better for general use
+ lightweight
- battery has to be charged
- components are fixed
- less powerful usually
- no customisation
(edited 7 years ago)
Its just a ridiculously loaded question in favour of laptops.
Reply 9
Original post by Another
Same performance? Laptop, clearly. The only reason to buy a desktop is as a workstation, since performance output usually outranks a laptop.

If you're offering me a laptop with the same power as a desktop, I'd take it :lol:

Exactly what I was thinking :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Youve already distorted this against desktops because youve taken out the two main advantages. Namely desktops are cheaper or for the same money you get a lot more power.

I would prefer a laptop if I needed a laptop. As you have given me infinite money and top notch performance, then ofce a laptop is more attractive because the scenario you decided in is artificial.

Even then a desktop has better reliability, is easier to repair and upgradeable. I can also have a 29" monitor and excellent sound and storage.

Your last question about choosing a worst perfomring desktop over a laptop is even more stupid.

No need to get offended.

So even though you have stated loads of advantages of a desktop you would still prefer a laptop in this scenario. Thanks for answering!
Reply 11
So thermals and noise is not enough to choose a desktop in this scenario?
Original post by xylas
No need to get offended.

So even though you have stated loads of advantages of a desktop you would still prefer a laptop in this scenario. Thanks for answering!

He just said "I would prefer a laptop if I needed a laptop", I assume he would choose a desktop in any other circumstance.
Original post by xylas
So thermals and noise is not enough to choose a desktop in this scenario?

That would depend from person to person and laptop to laptop. If it sounded like a wind turbine while running at full load or became uncomfortably hot, I wouldn't buy that laptop.
Reply 14
Original post by donutellme
On average, ignoring what you said about performance. I've ignored cost as well, but in reality, cost plays a huge factor.

Desktops
+ no battery
+ more customisability
+ better components available
+ full sized graphics cards
+ more RAM
+ more storage
+ more memes
+ more peripherals
+ changeable peripherals
+ flexible setups
+ more performance possible
- stationary unless you got wheels
- weigh more than ur mum
- take up more space than ur mum

Laptops
+ can move them around
+ better for general use
+ lightweight
- battery has to be charged
- components are fixed
- less powerful usually
- no customisation

Ok so basically you're major point in favour of a desktop in this scenario is no battery.

Everything else you said about peripherals, ram, storage etc. is not correct.
desktop so I can run cs on 200fps

but seriously this question is flawed as the main factor in deciding between laptop and desktop is cost for performance. The only advantage a laptop really has is portability, so assuming they had the same performance why wouldn't you choose a laptop?

The question should be with a set amount of money, not as much as you can spend tbh
Reply 16
"As you have given me infinite money and top notch performance, then ofce a laptop is more attractive"

Ok but compared to the best desktop, you would still choose the best laptop in the world even if it was noisier and had worse thermals?
Reply 17
Original post by AstroNandos
desktop so I can run cs on 200fps

but seriously this question is flawed as the main factor in deciding between laptop and desktop is cost for performance. The only advantage a laptop really has is portability, so assuming they had the same performance why wouldn't you choose a laptop?

The question should be with a set amount of money, not as much as you can spend tbh

Fine, set amount of money £10,000. Don't deny that some people spend that much on computers.
Original post by xylas
No need to get offended.

You have an inability to set a fair question and an inability to read. Its distorted to try and give you the answer you wnat, rather than one discussing the genuine pros and cons or one that has any basis in reality.

Both of them have pros and cons. All you have done is say lets pretend laptops have no cons or lets make sure desktops have no advantages only disadvantges, then which one would people choose? Utterly ridiculous.

I have both, but if I had to choose or rebuy then I know which one to pick.
Someone with different needs may make a different choice.
Original post by xylas
Fine, set amount of money £10,000. Don't deny that some people spend that much on computers.

Have you got a £10,000 laptop or desktop?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending