The Student Room Group

Was I in the wrong?

Met this guy on a dating app and we got along really well. We would FaceTime and speak on the phone for ages. He always answered my texts quickly and we had no problems. We were supposed to meet yesterday (he was the one eager to meet btw) and he kept promising that he would come. I asked him are you sure you're coming and he said definitely yes, in the afternoon. Then it came to the day I rang him asking what time he's coming he didn't pick up but texted me to say that he's in a lecture.

Then I said what time do you finish? He said he had an assignment due in on the day so it depends when he would finish it. He told me about this assignment at like 3pm. He had never told me before that he had a deadline on the day that we were supposed to meet. I was really looking forward to it plus I had made the effort of dressing up and getting all done up so I kept ringing and he kept rejecting my calls.

Then I texted him, he would read it then wouldn't reply. He never texted me to say that he wouldn't be able to make it or come today. At around 11pm I texted him saying that what he did wasn't nice at all and then he blocked me. Who was in the wrong here? Was it my fault?
Yes you were in the wrong for two things - for one you should've at least allowed him the chance to explain. The second is the fact that you were going to meet someone from a dating app in real life, even though it seems like you knew him quite well, I'd really suggest revising your choices.
Reply 2
Plenty of people meet up from tinder
No, I don't think you were in the wrong. Hopefully forget about him and better luck next time!
Original post by The_JoKeR
Yes you were in the wrong for two things - for one you should've at least allowed him the chance to explain. The second is the fact that you were going to meet someone from a dating app in real life, even though it seems like you knew him quite well, I'd really suggest revising your choices.

I disagree. Of course he was in the wrong. Just because it's someone from online doesn't mean that you can be a jerk to them. They called him multiple times, he chose to ignore them which meant that he couldn't explain, because he chose not to.

Original post by Anonymous
Met this guy on a dating app and we got along really well. We would FaceTime and speak on the phone for ages. He always answered my texts quickly and we had no problems. We were supposed to meet yesterday (he was the one eager to meet btw) and he kept promising that he would come. I asked him are you sure you're coming and he said definitely yes, in the afternoon. Then it came to the day I rang him asking what time he's coming he didn't pick up but texted me to say that he's in a lecture.

Then I said what time do you finish? He said he had an assignment due in on the day so it depends when he would finish it. He told me about this assignment at like 3pm. He had never told me before that he had a deadline on the day that we were supposed to meet. I was really looking forward to it plus I had made the effort of dressing up and getting all done up so I kept ringing and he kept rejecting my calls.

Then I texted him, he would read it then wouldn't reply. He never texted me to say that he wouldn't be able to make it or come today. At around 11pm I texted him saying that what he did wasn't nice at all and then he blocked me. Who was in the wrong here? Was it my fault?

I'd try not to worry, and move onto someone nicer :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks
Reply 6
I can see why you'd be a little bit anxious and annoyed. But to be honest, you shouldn't have hounded him with texts and calls. You probably came across too eager and clingy and this can be extremely annoying!

He was probably just trying to concentrate on his work without any distractions. When he said he was in a lecture you should have replied and said like "ok cool, call me when you can" and left it at that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_JoKeR
why does it matter where she met him. It seems like almost everybody meets people online now. That guy should have shown her a little more consideration and respect. Everyone knows you don't make plans with somebody and then blow them off. He was rude. We are not children anymore. I honestly think she shouldn't talk to him again. If he did this now then what else is he going to do in the future. I think she obviously can't depend on him. He was rude. don't feel bad about it.
I am sorry for your inconvenience. Unfortunately your scenario is not uncommon these days, especially with the increased use of online connections etc. I suggest that you lower your expectations- of politeness, for example- and take things more slowly.
For what it's worth I don't think you were wrong, but probably through inexperience of the medium you were expecting more than he could, or wanted, to deliver.
The old-fashioned advice for buyers, caveat emptor, is perhaps still worth considering in situations such as yours.
I'd say don't bother.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not nice him promising to meet you then says he won't if he knew he couldn't meet up then he should have been honest with you.
He was rubbish by promising to meet you and then making excuses up or at least not keeping you informed.

You were poor by persistently ringing him and being pushy. You should ahve just asked a few times and left it at that.

You have some lessons to learn that soemtimes people are unreliable or arent straight with you. A phone call and a text would have veen enough and then I would have let it go and move on. he isnt or wasnt serious. Some people are like that. Not all of them are though, so dont waste time worrying or thinking about him and find someone better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending