The Student Room Group
University of York
York

What if I miss my grades?

I've applied for History at York, but I know it's highly unlikely that I will get the needed grades.

Did anyone get in with lower grades that expected?
Yeah, tons of people do. Make sure you go check UCAS on results day as soon as you've received your results.
Edit: I did
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by jonnynoctu
Yeah, tons of people do. Make sure you go check UCAS on results day as soon as you've received your results.
Edit: I did

Do you think they'd still be flexible even if York is your insurance choice?
Every University takes into account the whole application. Personal Statement, Interviews, Grades etc. When I was doing my Scottish Highers I was asked to get BBB by my firm choice. I cocked it up big time and got CCC. Results day came and UCAS hadn't updated my firm offer, it wa still pending. I phoned up the University and the course tutor was so impressed by my interview they offered me a place regardless.

Long story short. It is more than possible to be admitted if you seriously crash land your grades! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by dexterford97
I've applied for History at York, but I know it's highly unlikely that I will get the needed grades.

History and Philosophy at York here. I don't know too much about how they are with grade allowances, but I'm willing you on regardless! Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by dexterford97

Try not to be so pessimistic! :smile: But even if you just miss your offer, you're likely to get in. I read somewhere that only ~8% of people typically go to their insurance choice, so if you're off by a grade then they may well accept you after reviewing your personal statement etc. It does depend on how many others also miss their offer, but there's hope. I've applied for Law so obviously a separate department, but they openly said that they'll try and be flexible on results day (prioritising firm applicants, generally regardless of grades, before going into Clearing), and that may well be a university-wide policy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending