The Student Room Group

Prodrug - Why is A a prodrug but B isn't?

Hey Guys;

Well, can someone please answer the attached question?

Q1.PNG
Anything guys?
My exam is on Monday... =(
Original post by Scienceisgood
Anything guys?
My exam is on Monday... =(

The active form of A likely to be when the ester group is hydrolysed to the acid. the ester is not the drug but is metabolised to the acid which is the active. In other words, ester A is a prodrug.
Look at the log P values. The log p value of molecule A is much higher than that of molecule B, meaning that it is far more lipophilic. Polar species are hydrophobic and have a hard time crossing the cell membrane to enter cells, therefore the higher the log P value, the higher it's cell penetrability will be. That's your first indication that molecule A might be a pro drug. And then as TeachChemistry has stated, esters are usually metabolised in cells to the active carboxylic acid form.
Original post by TeachChemistry
The active form of A likely to be when the ester group is hydrolysed to the acid. the ester is not the drug but is metabolised to the acid which is the active. In other words, ester A is a prodrug.

Original post by VanEkerDr
Look at the log P values. The log p value of molecule A is much higher than that of molecule B, meaning that it is far more lipophilic. Polar species are hydrophobic and have a hard time crossing the cell membrane to enter cells, therefore the higher the log P value, the higher it's cell penetrability will be. That's your first indication that molecule A might be a pro drug. And then as TeachChemistry has stated, esters are usually metabolised in cells to the active carboxylic acid form.

Thanks guys, helped me out a lot. Can't find anything on prodrugs in my books in terms of identifying them and obviously couldn't contact my lecturer before Monday. =)
Reps for all! =D
Original post by TeachChemistry

Original post by VanEkerDr

Need to ask guys just so I don't forget, what are the main functional groups on Prodrugs which make them easy to identify?
It's hard to generalise.. just in general anything the makes a polar functional group more lipophilic.. like turning an acid into an ester, potentially turning a phenol in a benzyl ether..

Quick Reply

Latest