The Student Room Group

Can't sleep before an exam!!!

Hi guys,

I have a psychology exam this Monday at 1:30 in the afternoon.
I can never fall asleep the night before an exam due to extreme anxiety and stress, and this is no exaggeration. This has been a problem for me for the past 2 years, so I've always been forced to do an all nighter which has always left me feeling like death in the actual exam.
Shall I do an all nighter tonight so I can get a good early night's sleep on Sunday?

What are your suggestions?
Reply 1
Original post by johnd45
Hi guys,

I have a psychology exam this Monday at 1:30 in the afternoon.
I can never fall asleep the night before an exam due to extreme anxiety and stress, and this is no exaggeration. This has been a problem for me for the past 2 years, so I've always been forced to do an all nighter which has always left me feeling like death in the actual exam.
Shall I do an all nighter tonight so I can get a good early night's sleep on Sunday?

What are your suggestions?

So of course, it sounds way easier than actually done, but DO NOT pull an all nighter. Even if the exam is in the afternoon, I wouldn't advise it, you studying all day and all night is not going to completely 100% maximise your chances especially if you don't take breaks or get enough adequate rest. Believe me I know how you feel about the exam anxiety and stress - having done GCSEs and AS Levels - usually what forces me to go to sleep is the fear that I will be too tired to focus in the exam. I'd recommend just doing some relaxing things maybe around 2-3 hours before you go to bed: e.g. take a hot bath, talk to a friend, watch t, eat some comfort food - whatever you want! This is the best way to physically force yourself to calm down and not get too wired about the exams!

Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by britmj
So of course, it sounds way easier than actually done, but DO NOT pull an all nighter. Even if the exam is in the afternoon, I wouldn't advise it, you studying all day and all night is not going to completely 100% maximise your chances especially if you don't take breaks or get enough adequate rest. Believe me I know how you feel about the exam anxiety and stress - having done GCSEs and AS Levels - usually what forces me to go to sleep is the fear that I will be too tired to focus in the exam. I'd recommend just doing some relaxing things maybe around 2-3 hours before you go to bed: e.g. take a hot bath, talk to a friend, watch t, eat some comfort food - whatever you want! This is the best way to physically force yourself to calm down and not get too wired about the exams!

Good luck

but wouldn't it be ok if I did an all nighter tonight so I would actually make up for a lot fo sleep on Sunday night?
Reply 3
Original post by johnd45
but wouldn't it be ok if I did an all nighter tonight so I would actually make up for a lot fo sleep on Sunday night?

That would make sense, but what if you still ended up having an all nighter on Sunday, simply because you couldn't sleep... That would be 48 hours without sleep on the day of your exam
try exhausting urself by some exercise !!!! so u could sleep !!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest