The Student Room Group

Applying to 5 year Medicine course as a GRADUTE

Are we allowed to do this?
I have BBB in my A levels and 1st class degree prediction.

Will the 5 year courses only look at my A levels? Or will they look at my degree ? or both?
Original post by Ignorant

Will the 5 year courses only look at my A levels? Or will they look at my degree ? or both?

Yes but the first four years aren't funded. You would need £36k for tuition fees.

Whats your degree in? You're probably best off applying for GEM. For five year courses, some will still look at a-levels and others won't.
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
Yes but the first four years aren't funded. You would need £36k for tuition fees.

Whats your degree in? You're probably best off applying for GEM. For five year courses, some will still look at a-levels and others won't.

Yeah i am applying to GEM was wondering if its worth applying for 5 year as well - i know it is unfunded but if it increases my chances it may be worth considering

So i would need to phone them up individually and ask them if they wanted me to meet A level minimums as a graduate i guess?
I applied for dentistry starting this year, you would be in the same situation as me you can apply but you wont get a tuition fee loan; however, you would be able to get a maintenance loan up to 8.2k. regarding your grades you might lose out because you have BBB at A'levels so you will have to do your research for the requirements universities have for graduates. Generally they are 2.1 with AAB-ABB at A'levels.
Yes, and its quite common for grads to apply for 5 year Medicine courses so the requirements for grads will be on the online course pages for each Uni. They will look at everything - degree, A levels and GCSE. Plus relevant work experience.

One example : MB ChB Medicine at Bristol, requires a 2:1 in a relevant subject and at least AAB at A-level including Chemistry at grade A and one other lab-based science subject at grade B or above, plus minimum five GCSEs at grade A to include Mathematics, English Language and two science subjects.
Yeah i am applying to GEM was wondering if its worth applying for 5 year as well - i know it is unfunded but if it increases my chances it may be worth considering

So i would need to phone them up individually and ask them if they wanted me to meet A level minimums as a graduate i guess?

No. If you look on their websites, all the five year courses give the requirements for graduates applying.

I'm always doubtful whether it increases your choices. If you've struck out after several attempts at gem, maybe. Or you bomb the ukcat (bear in mind that the ukcat has changed this year, so a good score this year may have been a terrible score last year). But you have decent grades, I would say go for the four year courses. Some medical schools, like Southampton, have limited places for grads on five year courses, so the competition can be just as bad.

Also seriously consider whether you can afford the fees. You don't want to have to drop out part way through because you can't afford it. Universities are pretty unforgiving if you can't pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ForestCat
No. If you look on their websites, all the five year courses give the requirements for graduates applying.

I'm always doubtful whether it increases your choices. If you've struck out after several attempts at gem, maybe. Or you bomb the ukcat (bear in mind that the ukcat has changed this year, so a good score this year may have been a terrible score last year). But you have decent grades, I would say go for the four year courses. Some medical schools, like Southampton, have limited places for grads on five year courses, so the competition can be just as bad.

Also seriously consider whether you can afford the fees. You don't want to have to drop out part way through because you can't afford it. Universities are pretty unforgiving if you can't pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well most GEM universities only accept around 50 people whereas the 5 year course has significantly more places so I thought the 5 year course was less competitive but not sure now.
So you reckon applying to 4 GEM unis?
Also my degree is in Chemistry (Bsc)
(edited 7 years ago)
Well most GEM universities only accept around 50 people whereas the 5 year course has significantly more places so I thought the 5 year course was less competitive but not sure now.
So you reckon applying to 4 GEM unis?
Also my degree is in Chemistry (Bsc)

I think Soton only has about 20 places for grads on their undergad, so I don't think it always works as a safer option. I don't think many other courses publish if they have specific places for graduates, but for the majority most of their places will be taken up by undergads. It may technically be a little less competitive, but only because not as many people can afford it. I think the cost of five year courses is not to be underestimated.

Unless you massively screw up the UKCAT, your academics so far should give you a good shot at GEM. Unless you want an easier pace, and can easily afford the £36k, I would give it a go applying for 4 GEM unis.
Well most GEM universities only accept around 50 people whereas the 5 year course has significantly more places so I thought the 5 year course was less competitive

It isnt just 'available places'- its that most applicants to GEM are well-qualified in terms of A levels grades and are a dead cert for a 2.1 or First so there are not just more apps per place but more good aps per place. At Bristol for GEM this year there were over 500 perfectly good applicants for 19 places. You have to very good to rise to the top with those sort of odds.
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi there,

You've hinted in the posts above that you have considered funding and other aspects of being a graduate and applying for the standard Medicine 5-year course, so we won't lecture you about it! :smile:

With your grades, it is definitely possible to apply to the 5-year course. However, as mentioned above, you need to make sure you check the university entry requirements. They usually do specify entry requirements separately for graduates, including A level grades and predicted/achieved degree grades.

For instance, Barts says that you must have at least a 2:1 in a degree with a significant focus on Biology or Chemistry, or alternatively, if there isn't a focus on these subjects, you need to have BB in A level Chemistry & Biology. You have both of these!

Brighton & Sussex Medical School also only specify a minimum 2:1 in a Chemistry or Biology degree, or adequate knowledge of those subjects to A level. Again - you satisfy this! N.B. on the BSMS link, although the graduate information is labelled under 'graduate entry', BSMS don't offer a 4-year programme. The graduate entry title refers to graduates applying for the 5 year course.

Plus, Cardiff states that for graduates applying to the 5-year course you need minimum BBB at A level, and at least a 2:1.

So, that's already three med schools that would consider you. Just have a think about what schools you'd like to apply to, and check their requirements carefully.

We hope the above helps, and good luck with your application!

The Medic Portal
If applying as a graduate do A levels matter? Or do A levels only matter if you are applying as a graduate for the 5 year course?
Original post by 1lastchance
If applying as a graduate do A levels matter? Or do A levels only matter if you are applying as a graduate for the 5 year course?

A levels always matter. Graduates applying for 5 year courses will have a lower A level (or equiv.) requirement but all will want them - and usually specific GCSEs as well.
Original post by 1lastchance

In general, gem courses will not look at your a levels. A couple do (Southampton require a c in chem and I think Cambridge ask for high grades) but most do not. Graduates applying for the 5 year course often have to fulfil a level requirements but I'm not sure about the specifics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hi,

I applied as a graduate for the 5 year course at Kings, got an interview and an offer and I'm starting this September! My A-levels are terrible but I achieved a 2:1 in Biomedical Sciences. My UKCAT was 680! Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending