The Student Room Group

algebraic devision

Hi Guys,
does anybody see any problem with this algebraic devision? the quotient should come out as x^2 -5x+10 but mine keep coming x^2-5x-10 i don't what part I'm going wrong :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Alen.m
Hi Guys,
does anybody see any problem with this algebraic devision? the quotient should come out as x^2 -5x+10 but mine keep coming x^2-5x-10 i don't what part I'm going wrong :frown:

Post the attachment and I'll help :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by TheBride
Post the attachment and I'll help :smile:

i did actually i don't where it's gone
Reply 3
Original post by Alen.m
i did actually i don't where it's gone

You've treated the +20 as +20x, I would put an extra term "+0x" in the middle to prevent mix ups :smile: (See my solution below)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alen.m
Hi Guys,

The first problem i can see is your spelling of division, thank me later :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
20160514_174834.jpg
Original post by LewisClothier
The first problem i can see is your spelling of division, thanks me later :biggrin:

I'm kidding, but yeah you need a coefficient of each power of x before trying to divide using long division. (e.g. to divide 3x^4+2x^2+18 by whatever root you find you would need to divide by 3x^4+0x^3+2x^2+0x+18 instead, always remember this step! it'll make a huge difference.
Reply 7
Original post by TheBride
You've treated the +20 as +20x, I would put an extra term "+0x" in the middle to prevent mix ups :smile: (See my solution below)

Thanks mate
Reply 8
Original post by LewisClothier
I'm kidding, but yeah you need a coefficient of each power of x before trying to divide using long division. (e.g. to divide 3x^4+2x^2+18 by whatever root you find you would need to divide by 3x^4+0x^3+2x^2+0x+18 instead, always remember this step! it'll make a huge difference.

Very well explained thanks
Original post by Alen.m
Very well explained thanks

not a problem, good luck in your exams! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest