The Student Room Group

Only a chump would buy an engagement ring with a "real" diamond.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlphaSteel
still amazes me to see so many guys choosing to get married and willingly cucking themselves

Why do you assume my potential future wife will cheat on me?
Original post by unprinted
If you feel better for wasting your money when you can't tell the difference...

I don't think you understand the concept of a Veblen good.

Do you buy fake Rolex's too?
Only a chump would get married
Original post by brainhuman
I don't think you understand the concept of a Veblen good.

Do you buy fake Rolex's too?

Oh, I understand the concept ok. I just don't want to buy them.

Do you buy Beats headphones?
Oh, I understand the concept ok. I just don't want to buy them.

Do you buy Beats headphones?

But you are buying them. You are just faking it. Hence why I said you don't understand the concept.

No.
Reply 45
I don't understand the concept of engagement rings. Why does only the woman get one? And what does she do with it when she gets a wedding ring? Seems kind of pointless to me.
my engagement ring was an amethyst. but still, i didn't end up getting married. thank god. (this coming from a girl!)
OP assumes people having logical reasons for buying a diamonds in the first place. We don't. It has value because we, as a society, give it a value. There's nothing intrinsically good about a diamond, it's made from carbon, just like we are.

SS
Original post by Supersaps
OP assumes people having logical reasons for buying a diamonds in the first place. We don't. It has value because we, as a society, give it a value. There's nothing intrinsically good about a diamond, it's made from carbon, just like we are.

SS

And because the diamond cartel control the supply and demand strictly hording away the diamonds to keep the price inflated and the rarity myth alive
Original post by Betelgeuse-
And because the diamond cartel control the supply and demand strictly hording away the diamonds to keep the price inflated and the rarity myth alive

Thank you, that supports my point nicely.

The whole "diamonds are precious" is an entirely man made concept. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Massively simplifies the issue but this is a pretty good video:

[video="youtube;N5kWu1ifBGU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU[/video]
Original post by Supersaps
Thank you, that supports my point nicely.

The whole "diamonds are precious" is an entirely man made concept. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

No it's not man made concept. It's the fact that nature made something so beautiful.
Reply 52
Original post by llys
I don't understand the concept of engagement rings. Why does only the woman get one? And what does she do with it when she gets a wedding ring? Seems kind of pointless to me.

Some gay men get them too join the dark side and get your ring! :h:
Reply 53
Original post by Ciel.
If my partner got me a lab grown diamond I'd chase him out of the house because I know he can afford a real one. :h:

So what if he can afford a "real" one? Chances is are, it will have a worse quality than lab grown ones anyway. The reason you'd chase him out the house is because it'd mean you wouldn't be able to brag about how rich you are to everyone and you'd feel like you have less status/prestige. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by AlphaSteel
Only a chump would get married in this day and age!

These days getting married is pointless if you're a man because of 50% divorce rate, divorce laws that unfairly favour women, and little to no upside to marriage for men.

Get a prenup, man!
Original post by kickingstitches
my engagement ring was an amethyst. but still, i didn't end up getting married. thank god. (this coming from a girl!)

Original post by llys

She wears both the rings together are you new?
The guy can get one too. After he proposes, I think the girl should get him one as well.
That's true, but I already have one :colondollar:

But I've got a feeling that it's going to be a long time before I find any use for it :lol:
Reply 57
Original post by jaz,
So what if he can afford a "real" one? Chances is are, it will have a worse quality than lab grown ones anyway. The reason you'd chase him out the house is because it'd mean you wouldn't be able to brag about how rich you are to everyone (like you are here) and you'd feel like you have less status/prestige. :smile:

I don't think you understand what my point is. It's not 'so I can brag about how rich I am' (hell, I'm not rich, personally I am broke because I went insane and quit my job some time ago). It's not even about the quality, it's about its significance. Call me old fashioned but, to me, there's a big difference between something artificial, human made, and something that mother nature made all by herself :h: It's just something really special.
The point that's been alluded to earlier is that diamonds don't have much value. They're not rare and they're not valuable, but a cartel means that they're expensive to buy.

Diamonds lose more value going out the shop than a car does when it's driven off the dealer's forecourt.

If you want someone to show they're prepared to waste money, get them to give it to me instead...

It still is considered valuable. Maybe not intrinsically so, but still .

Most modern currencies, such as a 100 pound note, have no intrinsic value either, its value comes from society, from it supposedly being backed by silver owned by the state, and not even from that because it actually isn't backed by an equivalent amount of commodity, otherwise we wouldn't have things such as inflation and interest.

I suppose women just want to see that their loved one is willing to splash out on them. And then you have those that want to show off.
Original post by Indeterminate
That's true, but I already have one :colondollar:

But I've got a feeling that it's going to be a long time before I find any use for it :lol:

Why'd you buy a ring already?

Quick Reply

Latest