The Student Room Group

How do I get an A in A-Level Literature?

I always get high B's, but I really want to come out with an A in the AS-Level exams, I just don't know how.

We've had a student teacher teaching us all year, the rest of the class are getting U's, and I just really want to come out with an A grade.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I always get high B's, but I really want to come out with an A in the AS-Level exams, I just don't know how.

We've had a student teacher teaching us all year, the rest of the class are getting U's, and I just really want to come out with an A grade.

What exam board are you on? :smile:
Reply 2
Concise writing style, well embedded quotations alongside a great knowledge of the texts.

Try have a couple of multipurpose high level arguments you can use across multiple themes (for example 'dualism is used in '...' to catalyse the power of ...) or (it could be suggested that the text follows a dialectic structure, this presents...)

I got an A at AS, I really didn't work very hard but I had a couple of high level ideas and the examiner seemed to like how I articulated myself, so read lots of high level essays and academic analysis and steal both ideas and try grab some inspiration to improve your writing style if you can :smile:
No substitute for knowing your anthology or whatever inside out - technical point and broad themes. Don't know what board you're on, or which option you're doing, but when I went through past papers the questions were always more or less getting at the same debate within the anthology.

Got to know the material really well to get top grades I reckon.
Reply 4
I really want to get an A as well (all this hassle for a letter, quite comical considering we've read tonnes of them) and I'm doing stuff like:
- lots of background reading on your texts, critical essays may not be overwhelmingly exciting but they have good points.
- making character notes of "sophisticated" phrases to describe characters from study guides online.
-writing up topic sentences that deliberately hit the AOs like context or critics.

My exam's with edexcel. What exam boards are everyone else with? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest