The Student Room Group

Dating someone 33 years older

I've been talking on and off with this 55 year old man. He's so sweet and genuine but I feel like if I ever got with him he would actually not like me. He has two kids 11 and 12 and he's on the verge of a divorce. Other than the fact that I feel wrong for talking to him because he's married and has kids. Could this relationship work? I understand there are a lot of down sides to this because I'm 22 and he's 55.

Would being with him be a terrible idea or should I consider it?

Scroll to see replies

33 years is a massive age difference you could practically be his child. Stick to men your own age or a few years older.
Original post by Anonymous
I've been talking on and off with this 55 year old man. He's so sweet and genuine but I feel like if I ever got with him he would actually not like me. He has two kids 11 and 12 and he's on the verge of a divorce. Other than the fact that I feel wrong for talking to him because he's married and has kids. Could this relationship work? I understand there are a lot of down sides to this because I'm 22 and he's 55.

Problem here is you are both at different stages of life, you are still so young and he will soon be an OAP. My advice, live life a bit first and settle down with someone a bit closer to your age.
Reply 3
It is a big age gap, so wait a while before you seriously consider this. It may work but you need to be careful. Just live a while, you're only gonna be young once
Reply 4

If you yourself feel wrong then I see no better indicator that this relationship isn't for you.
Reply 5

"On the verge of a divorce" as in he's moved out, papers have been filed etc, or as in "My wife just doesn't understand me, we never have sex, talking to you makes me feel so young and alive again blahblahblah..." (but still living with her and the kids and playing happy families) sort of verge?

Either way, I think steer clear. Too much potential for all sorts of power imbalance.
Reply 6
When you're gonna be 40, he's gonna be a pensioner. :lolwut: I wouldn't go there.
Reply 7

I don't think it would work because it sounds like a typical case of ''I want a younger fruit''. I bet if you got with him and turned 40, he'd dump you for another 20 year old...
If it works then go for it, although imo the gap is too big as you are at a different stage. If you were older say 30, then maybe as you should know who you are by that age. Also the fact he's still married is another no no. You might think he's sweet and genuine b but you dont know him well enough.
He's gonna be retired before you're past your prime. Then who'll pay for dates n stuff?
Reply 10

You already know the answer
I once dated someone who was 13 years older than me, which for me personally, was a huge age gap. And he also had kids.

Only you and him know if it's going to work. There are age gap relationships that do work and there are some that don't. And it's not just because of age.
If this guy was say 15 years older than you or something, the age gap would be big but it wouldn't be a creepy age gap.

55 year old dating a 22 year old? Creepy as hell even though you are an adult. He's old enough to be your dad.
these relationships are not uncommon ?

is daddy issues spelt with a small or capital D?
Reply 15
Personally I would say, bonkers. But your life, live it..
Reply 17

SUG's done worse, so keep it up I say
Reply 18

strange to think when he was 30, she didnt even exist. not even a foetus. Not even a sperm cell swimming around. Conceptually speaking, im not sure how it works, but she probably existed as a piece of food that later turned to glucose in sperm?

biology pls.
Original post by difeo
SUG's done worse, so keep it up I say

Shots

Original post by swirly
strange to think when he was 30, she didnt even exist. not even a foetus. Not even a sperm cell swimming around. Conceptually speaking, im not sure how it works, but she probably existed as a piece of food that later turned to glucose in sperm?

biology pls.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending