The Student Room Group

Self-teaching A Level Maths and A Level Computer Science - confused

So I want to self-teach myself A Level Maths and A Level Computer Science during my time at university starting this September so that I can unroll unto a MSc Computer Science (conversion) degree at UCL. For now I'm not worried about the difficulty of doing all of this.

But I'm just confused as to what the A-Level reforms are. If I were to start self-teaching from September 2016, do I still do the AS exams in summer 2017 and A2 exams in summer 2018? I was told during sixth form that AS doesn't count towards A2 anymore so do I just do A Level exams in the summer of 2018?

Also what are the most straightforward/easiest exam boards to do A Level Maths and A Level Computer Science in?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!
Original post by orphan_black
So I want to self-teach myself A Level Maths and A Level Computer Science during my time at university starting this September so that I can unroll unto a MSc Computer Science (conversion) degree at UCL. For now I'm not worried about the difficulty of doing all of this.

But I'm just confused as to what the A-Level reforms are. If I were to start self-teaching from September 2016, do I still do the AS exams in summer 2017 and A2 exams in summer 2018? I was told during sixth form that AS doesn't count towards A2 anymore so do I just do A Level exams in the summer of 2018?

Also what are the most straightforward/easiest exam boards to do A Level Maths and A Level Computer Science in?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Nobody will know which board's going to be hardest for either subject since the first examinations for the new spec will be this summer. However, according to the current one, MEI is considered the hardest, and Edexcel the easiest. But don't be fooled, every board will prove difficult! I'd certainly go for Edexcel however, as that is the one most schools choose, thus its the one you'll find most resources for; since you're self-teaching, those resources are key. Good Luck
Original post by lordoftheties
Nobody will know which board's going to be hardest for either subject since the first examinations for the new spec will be this summer. However, according to the current one, MEI is considered the hardest, and Edexcel the easiest. But don't be fooled, every board will prove difficult! I'd certainly go for Edexcel however, as that is the one most schools choose, thus its the one you'll find most resources for; since you're self-teaching, those resources are key. Good Luck

Thanks a ton! I'm going with AQA since their reform timetable makes sense. I also read that I can't do Computer Science as a private candidate so I'll do Economics for the 2017 exam session and Maths for the 2019 exam session:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/library/AQA-W-REFORM-TIMELINE-ALEVEL.PDF

Quick Reply

Latest