The Student Room Group

Give ONE reason for...

If I were to give more than one answer, how would the examiners go about it? I would appreciate it if people could be specific regarding AQA, OCR and Edexcel!
Reply 1
Original post by worksmartnothard
If I were to give more than one answer, how would the examiners go about it? I would appreciate it if people could be specific regarding AQA, OCR and Edexcel!

Hiya :smile:
I've been told that if you give two answers, and one of them is incorrect, the incorrect answer cancels the correct answer, resulting in zero marks.

If they specifically ask for one answer, it is best to follow the instruction because if you put down two correct answers then you won't get any extra credit, and if the first one you put down is correct, but the second one is incorrect, you won't be awarded for the first correct answer. It's a lose-lose situation.

As far as I know, this is the same for every exam board.

Hope that helps:smile:
Original post by CaptErin
Hiya :smile:
I've been told that if you give two answers, and one of them is incorrect, the incorrect answer cancels the correct answer, resulting in zero marks.

If they specifically ask for one answer, it is best to follow the instruction because if you put down two correct answers then you won't get any extra credit, and if the first one you put down is correct, but the second one is incorrect, you won't be awarded for the first correct answer. It's a lose-lose situation.

As far as I know, this is the same for every exam board.

Hope that helps:smile:

Great, thanks for your reply!
Idk I think they mark what ever awnser you wrote first. So if you got the first awnser wrong but the second right you wouldn't get the mark because you didn't write it first.
With Edexcel (I'm speaking of science) they ignore it at GCSE if your answers contradict, and give you the mark, but at A Level they wouldn't give you the mark. I think AQA would give no marks, although I'm not sure
Original post by Tsrsarahhhh
Idk I think they mark what ever awnser you wrote first. So if you got the first awnser wrong but the second right you wouldn't get the mark because you didn't write it first.

Original post by caitlinford3
With Edexcel (I'm speaking of science) they ignore it at GCSE if your answers contradict, and give you the mark, but at A Level they wouldn't give you the mark. I think AQA would give no marks, although I'm not sure

Ok, thank you! I wanted to see how much I could get away with in the exams:colondollar:...
Reply 6
i've heard that they'll mark the first answer they see :\
Reply 7
if you write an answer & cross it out then don't write anything else though, they'll still mark the answer u crossed out
I've heard that they only see the first answer even if the first is wrong nd second is right !!!!
Reply 9
If you contradict yourself, no mark is awarded
and if you give 2 reasons when they asked for 1 only the first is accepted
Original post by gameofno
if you write an answer & cross it out then don't write anything else though, they'll still mark the answer u crossed out

whaat? Really!?
Reply 11
whaat? Really!?

yupp!!
Reply 12
whaat? Really!?

but if u cross it out and write something else then they won't mark the crossed out bit, they'll mark what u wrote after it
yupp!!

but if u cross it out and write something else then they won't mark the crossed out bit, they'll mark what u wrote after it

Ooay never knew that :tongue:, thanks!
i also never knew that!!!
Why do you think you are getting away with anything by writing more than one answer?
My understanding was what z33 said @10
Original post by 999tigger
Why do you think you are getting away with anything by writing more than one answer?
My understanding was what z33 said @10

I thought there may be some sneaky way of squeezing two answers in but making it look like one... idk it's just me being desperate to get all the marks I can get lol

Quick Reply

Latest