The Student Room Group

Anyone received an unfair parking fine?

Hi
Is it right that mobile parking enforcement CCTV vans are breaking parking rules?
Sometime ago was fined for stopping on a double yellow line for 3 seconds to reverse on to my drive way. The stupid camera van drove past and a few days later I got an £80 fine for parking on a double yellow line. I wasn't even causing an obstruction or hazard.

The Highway Code says that waiting/ parking on a double yellow line is forbidden but stopping is ok becaus its only double red lines where any stopping is forbidden.

So I was being accused of a double red line offense on double yellows!

I was not parked on the double yellow I stopped for about 3 seconds just to change gear and reverse! The appeal was rejected!

The fact is these vans can't tell the difference between parking and stopping. Councils are robbing people of millions each year by abusing this rule. Many people know you never stop on a double red line but it is ok to stop on a double yellow but not to park. Why can't the council be clear on the difference between double yellows and reds?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Ambitious1999
Hi
Is it right that mobile parking enforcement CCTV vans are breaking parking rules?
Sometime ago was fined for stopping on a double yellow line for 3 seconds to reverse on to my drive way. The stupid camera van drove past and a few days later I got an £80 fine for parking on a double yellow line. I wasn't even causing an obstruction or hazard.

The Highway Code says that waiting/ parking on a double yellow line is forbidden but stopping is ok becaus its only double red lines where any stopping is forbidden.

I was not parked on the double yellow I stopped for about 3 seconds just to change gear and reverse! The appeal was rejected!

The fact is these vans can't tell the difference between parking and stopping. Councils are robbing people of millions each year by abusing this rule. Many people know you never stop on a double red line but it is ok to stop on a double yellow but not to park. Why can't the council be clear on the difference between double yellows and reds?

Just pay!
My father says it is a waste of time to appeal.
Original post by M14B
Just pay!
My father says it is a waste of time to appeal.

I understand but paying an unjust fine is like paying ransoms to terrorists, it only encourages them to fiddle their own rules to extort money. Treating a yellow line offence as a red line offence to get money is like deception. They are fraudulently taking peoples money which is against the law.

They should have to prove that the person was parked i.e engine off or drive around a few mins later to see if the car is still there.

A shopkeeper would not be allowed to advertise a pack of 10 biscuits when they knew fine well there were only 5 in the packet, they'd be done by trading standards! But council parking firms get away with too much.
Reply 3
On double yellow lines you can't stop nor wait. You can only drop off.

You've said that you stopped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I understand but paying an unjust fine is like paying ransoms to terrorists, it only encourages them to fiddle their own rules to extort money. Treating a yellow line offence as a red line offence to get money is like deception. They are fraudulently taking peoples money which is against the law.

They should have to prove that the person was parked i.e engine off or drive around a few mins later to see if the car is still there.

A shopkeeper would not be allowed to advertise a pack of 10 biscuits when they knew fine well there were only 5 in the packet, they'd be done by trading standards! But council parking firms get away with too much.

Just pay because are you still within the period of having the fine halved... much easier, you've got no grounds for appeals... just pay! I've had a parking fine before... it happens, it sucks, but whatever!
If take people's word for it, every parking fine which has ever been given is unfair
Reply 6
What are these CCTV vans I dont remember coming across one ever?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Contact them and explain this, and ask for evidence that you have indeed parked or waited, rather than simply being briefly stopped as part of performing a maneouvre.

And let us know what the response is.

Or just pay the fine. Either way, just moaning about it on her will do little for you!
Hi

Remember, the Highway Code is exactly that - it's the "Code" of driving. Not the rules.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Impressive
Posted from TSR Mobile
Rubbish. You are allowed to unload and load as well as pick-up and drop-off.
Unless there are loading restrictions in place.
Stopping time varies between boroughs but roughly 20 minutes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mphysical
Rubbish. You are allowed to unload and load as well as pick-up and drop-off.
Unless there are loading restrictions in place.
Stopping time varies between boroughs but roughly 20 minutes.

If you want to argue, send your message to the author.

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-09-24/the-difference-between-red-and-yellow-lines/

Also, don't forget to send my regards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you want to argue, send your message to the author. http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/update/2014-09-24/the-difference-between-red-and-yellow-lines/
Also, don't forget to send my regards.
This simply states you cannot park, which is correct.
You stated that you cannot STOP.

I received a parking fine from a private car park in Liverpool once. They said that I'd left without paying, after behaving abusively towards one of their traffic wardens. No camera evidence, but they presented some time sheet from an ANPR camera at the entrance, and an "official report" from the warden. They said that I had to pay the fine of £80, or it would go up to £320, and that the warden was willing not to press charges against me if I paid the fine within 2 weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest