The Student Room Group

Postgraduate

Hi,

I recently finished my BSc in computer science and achieved a 1st. I however went to a university that was around the mid 50s in ranking.

Would it help for me to do an MSc at an extremely good university for example imperial.

I am interested in studying my MSc I am just wondering if it will help me studying it at somewhere prestigious.
Original post by Davids1991
Hi,

I recently finished my BSc in computer science and achieved a 1st. I however went to a university that was around the mid 50s in ranking.

Would it help for me to do an MSc at an extremely good university for example imperial.

I am interested in studying my MSc I am just wondering if it will help me studying it at somewhere prestigious.

Help do what? well done on the first btw!
Reply 2
Original post by madmadmax321
Help do what? well done on the first btw!

Well mainly to seek employment within the industry. I have heard that even though it's a 1st being a non rg university affects my graduate prospects. I was considering going to a prestigious university for my MSc so that I could say I come from one of these prestigious universities.
Original post by Davids1991
Well mainly to seek employment within the industry. I have heard that even though it's a 1st being a non rg university affects my graduate prospects. I was considering going to a prestigious university for my MSc so that I could say I come from one of these prestigious universities.

No you dont need a masters for employment (it wont help much), in some sectors like finance and law uni prestige has an effect but not if you want to go into something like software development. youll be employed in that sector on how well you can program (which believe it or not some people leaving RG comsci unis cannot)

I am mean if you think about it, if only people that went to say top 30 unis got jobs in the degree they worked in then the other unis would close because people would realise theres not point in going to them

Did you try applying for grad level jobs? Do you have any relevant experience?
Most unis have career services that can help massively with these sorts of things

A good class degree and experience are the 2 most important things
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest