The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by garfeeled
Comments like this betray a deep misunderstanding of how statistics work,

Now sample size is important within a study and the larger the sample size the more accurate such a study will be.

But, and I'm sure it suprised nobody, we live in a world were it would be very hard to interview a sample size of people that is anywhere close to the actual population size (and that is common within statistics).

However statisticians have several ways to get around such limitations. And this study was done and publicised by a reputable source. If you are going to critise the study size is not a valid one. Try critising the study itself, are the questions overgeneralised have undesirable values been discarded was the sample collection method not truly random. So on so forth.

But pretty much the study is well enough to reasonably trust it. It would be massively unlikely that the study just happened to accidently interview less moderate Muslims, unless less moderate were less common than often touted.

Well the figures show 1.3 billion were surveyed , i don't see any other way of having that figure unless they actually did do that. Explain how the survey is credible?
Why are people comparing Islam to Christianity?

The quran is believed to be the actual word of allah, unlike the bible which is known to be compiled by humans.
So muslims are way more likely to follow through on violent/bigoted verses in the quran than christians are with the bible.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Well the figures show 1.3 billion were surveyed , i don't see any other way of having that figure unless they actually did do that. Explain how the survey is credible?

Do they say that many we interviewed or surveyed. I don't see how it does. It does extrapolate from the survey and it would be better if they put error marks on the figures but if you follow what you are saying then by your standard no survey or statistics ever collected in the history of statistics have ever ally been credible (excluding small scale surveys fro small groups such as how many people in my four person flat prefer cats to dogs).
Original post by fatima1998
i definitely can see the passion and obsession you have towards Islam:rofl:

He fancies Islam.
:rofl:
Reply 44
The opinions expressed in this survey are the reason there are ''so many muslim threads on TSR''. The ''moderate'' muslim is a myth and all the ''radicals'' blowing themselves up across the world are but a symptom of a much bigger problem. And what do you in order to solve a problem, before anything else? You acknowledge it as one and go from there.
Original post by ivybridge
Seriously, all you do is go on and on and on trying to discredit muslims. Stop. It is just boring, now.

Oh no! someone's been spreading hate facts I can't handle!

He can do what he wants....
when was i surveyed???
Original post by balanced
Oh no! someone's been spreading hate facts I can't handle!

He can do what he wants....

I can handle them, I'm not a three year old. It's just all the user goes on about and it is constant banging away at this one part of our community.

I did not say he couldn't; I am likewise allowed to express my discontent. Calm yourself.
(edited 7 years ago)
Alright, I think it wrong to use these statistics to judge all Muslims worldwide.Many Muslims especially those in western society will disagree. Lots of the statistics are based in countries where the majority have been under threat from terrorism, how do we know these statistics are representative of a whole culture. As a 3rd generation British Muslim I have no problem with people's sexuality, am a feminist and oppose Sharia laws, I am completely against honor killings and believe executions should never be used, especially for something people don't have control over, I think those who convert out of Islam are more amazing than those who remain, as requires way more balls to face the Muslim community after.

So stop using these crap statistics to judge all Muslims !!!
Original post by Nimrahk123
Alright, I think it wrong to use these statistics to judge all Muslims worldwide.Many Muslims especially those in western society will disagree. Lots of the statistics are based in countries where the majority have been under threat from terrorism, how do we know these statistics are representative of a whole culture. As a 3rd generation British Muslim I have no problem with people's sexuality, am a feminist and oppose Sharia laws, I am completely against honor killings and believe executions should never be used, especially for something people don't have control over, I think those who convert out of Islam are more amazing than those who remain, as requires way more balls to face the Muslim community after.

So stop using these crap statistics to judge all Muslims !!!

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/11/europe/britain-muslims-survey/

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/images/publications/living%20apart%20together%20-%20jan%2007.pdf

Three separate surveys collected by three separate polling organisations all three showing a majority of British Muslims do not accept non-heterosexuality

Alright I get your point, some British Muslims may agree, but I still think it's wrong to use this to judge ass Muslims.
Alright I get your point, some British Muslims may agree, but I still think it's wrong to use this to judge ass Muslims.

If the surveys are done properly (eg large enough sample size, randomly collected sample, proper questions ect ect) then it can be reasonably extrapolated to the population as a whole, it's how statistics work in general. If done properly it's actually quite fascinating how small a sample size you need to reasonably (say a 95% confidence interval) state what is true for the overall population.
Original post by garfeeled
If the surveys are done properly (eg large enough sample size, randomly collected sample, proper questions ect ect) then it can be reasonably extrapolated to the population as a whole, it's how statistics work in general. If done properly it's actually quite fascinating how small a sample size you need to reasonably (say a 95% confidence interval) state what is true for the overall population.

So do you honestly think this is what all Muslims believe?
Let's have one about many atheists not considering homosexual incest to be immoral.
So do you honestly think this is what all Muslims believe?

I don't believe that all believe it. The studies quite clearly show they don't. But that there is definitely a global majority and a very large minority or very small majority of British Muslims that do believe such things.
Original post by Tawheed
Let's have one about many atheists not considering homosexual incest to be immoral.

You are really obsessed with that. But if an arguement by hypocrisy don't you think.

Besides studies on the beliefs of atheists is sort of hard given the whole there is no defining atheist book or scripture or belief (beyond the required lack of belief in God)
Original post by Tawheed

So you think homosexual incest is worse than heterosexual incest? :holmes:
And people wonder why I strongly dislike Islam...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Not surprised one bit
Original post by Tawheed

Why are you bringing up incest may I ask?

Latest

Trending

Trending