The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University of Manchester vs King's College London vs University of Birmingham for CS

Hi guys... I have offers from all three universities but I am unsure which one I should choose. I'd like to hear opinions about these universities overall and about the computer science course. I'm not from UK so I don't really know how well-regarded these universities are in UK and around the world, and I know that league tables don't tell the whole truth. I would be very grateful for any help.
Original post by oao
Hi guys... I have offers from all three universities but I am unsure which one I should choose. I'd like to hear opinions about these universities overall and about the computer science course. I'm not from UK so I don't really know how well-regarded these universities are in UK and around the world, and I know that league tables don't tell the whole truth. I would be very grateful for any help.

They're all good, but I would say Manchester and King's are better than Birmingham (and King's is possibly slightly better than Manchester). One big factor is location - King's is London, the other two are not. That means it will be a lot more expensive to live there. What are the fees like for all of them? If I were an international student, I'd be inclined to go for whichever one was cheapest.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by sweeneyrod
They're all good, but I would say Manchester and King's are better than Birmingham (and King's is possibly slightly better than Manchester). One big factor is location - King's is London, the other two are not. That means it will be a lot more expensive to live there. What are the fees like for all of them? If I were an international student, I'd be inclined to go for whichever one was cheapest.

Thank you for your reply! I'm from Europe so my fees are the same as they are for UK students. But I agree with you that the location is something to consider. I think King's biggest advantage and at the same time disadvantage is the location. I'd love to live in London as there are so many opportunities there but at the same time it is really expensive and I'm pondering is the location really worth all the extra money...
Original post by oao
Thank you for your reply! I'm from Europe so my fees are the same as they are for UK students. But I agree with you that the location is something to consider. I think King's biggest advantage and at the same time disadvantage is the location. I'd love to live in London as there are so many opportunities there but at the same time it is really expensive and I'm pondering is the location really worth all the extra money...

Manchester is like London but cheaper and less... well, good. Coming from a Londoner so I might be biased haha. Personally I think that you won’t have massive troubles for some stuff considering how cheap transport is for students in London, and student bars bring drinking costs down etc, but you can’t deny living in London is expensive. So expensive I can’t even consider applying to university here despite living here.

Good luck with your choice, they’re both first rate cities and first rate universities but with London you pay a massive premium for living in such an amazing city so it may not be worth it for you.

Consider also that all the extra cash you save in Manchester might mean that you get to enjoy a much better three years of university just because you will have more to spend and be less tight and stressed.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending