The Student Room Group

Chemistry unit 6 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aimen.
My teacher says it saves us alot of time and plus they don't give us data booklet in unit 6, they just give us useful pieces in the paper!

I dont do unit 6 so i apologise, but i can pretty much guarantee you that for that particular question you have to do the calculations rather than just saying its v3+ or whatever because thats what i've learnt
Could someone list all the topics from unit 4 and 5 that I should revise for unit 6 .. or is it everything?
I have a question,

For separating the caffeine from the aqueous mixture, is it suppose that when we add the solvent, the solvent would dissolve caffeine and an aqueous layer would form that is the lower layer then we should separate the caffeine from the solvent ?
Original post by PlayerBB
I have a question,

For separating the caffeine from the aqueous mixture, is it suppose that when we add the solvent, the solvent would dissolve caffeine and an aqueous layer would form that is the lower layer then we should separate the caffeine from the solvent ?

What year?
Here they are if you want to checkout the pages that they've linked in the book. Just type in "A2 chemistry revision guide" on Scribd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Adorable98
What year?

June 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
does anyone have jan 2016 paper?
Reply 47
Original post by aldamon
Do they give the data booklet for unit 6 exam? i dont think so

Well no they don't but they'll provide with required info frm data booklet within question!
Reply 48
Original post by samb1234
I dont do unit 6 so i apologise, but i can pretty much guarantee you that for that particular question you have to do the calculations rather than just saying its v3+ or whatever because thats what i've learnt

Lol yea I totally agree with you but then we could double check our answers if we already have learnt it!
secondly sometimes a few students have no idea of what to do, so it's better writing answers cuz sometimes you get full marks for sole answers!
I have a question,

What you wrote is right but it's not on the mark scheme for some reason & I can't find the examiner report for this paper?! :s-smilie:
Reply 51
I have a question,

Well caffeine is in dichloromethane which is the lower layer, and the seperation is in the next step!
Hi there. Can someone explain 2a (ii) please? I checked the mark scheme but I don't get the reason behind that why this is the answer?

https://52e1064b4dc7f9fd87a96faa7f7e5a9427a24547.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYNFpielJBNWdCRFU/June%202011%20QP%20-%20Unit%206%20Edexcel%20Chemistry.pdf
Original post by Aimen.
Well caffeine is in dichloromethane which is the lower layer, and the seperation is in the next step!

Ahhh so it is in the dichloromethane, I got so confused because I thought the mark scheme was saying that each one will form a layer, okay thanks!

Ah another question, how shall I know that it forms the bottom layer ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What you wrote is right but it's not on the mark scheme for some reason & I can't find the examiner report for this paper?! :s-smilie:

That's okay, thank you anyway :smile:

It seems like what I thought is correct and that caffeine dissolves in the solvent that is dichloromethane

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahhh so it is in the dichloromethane, I got so confused because I thought the mark scheme was saying that each one will form a layer, okay thanks!

Ah another question, how shall I know that it forms the bottom layer ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If we assume that the density of the solution of caffeine and dichloromethane is approximately equal to that of the solvent, then the density of the solution is 1.32, whereas water is 1 so the dichloromethane layer will be at the bottom due to its higher density
Original post by samb1234
If we assume that the density of the solution of caffeine and dichloromethane is approximately equal to that of the solvent, then the density of the solution is 1.32, whereas water is 1 so the dichloromethane layer will be at the bottom due to its higher density

Ahh, Thank you!!! :biggrin:
Reply 57
Original post by Aimen.
Here is paper, markscheme and examiner report!

thank you so much!!
Original post by sabahshahed294
Hi there. Can someone explain 2a (ii) please? I checked the mark scheme but I don't get the reason behind that why this is the answer?

https://52e1064b4dc7f9fd87a96faa7f7e5a9427a24547.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYNFpielJBNWdCRFU/June%202011%20QP%20-%20Unit%206%20Edexcel%20Chemistry.pdf

Could someone answer this please?:biggrin:
Reply 59
Could someone list all the topics from unit 4 and 5 that I should revise for unit 6 .. or is it everything?

Get the specification first.

From these, you have to learn: (where each number below is a point on the specification - read through the specification and you'll understand)
Unit4:
4.3c, 4.3e, 4.4g, 4.8.2c, 4.8.3d, 4.8.4.b, 4.4.4c.
Unit5:
5.3.1d, 5.3.1g, 5.3.2g, 5.3.2j, 5.4.1d, 5.4.2b, 5.4.2d, 5.4.2i, 5.4.3f.

that is a lot.
And it helps to know to know background theory too. According to my teacher edexcel likes to test theory through practicals.

ninja edit: I got these from an old mapping document when the syllabus changed. I'm so grateful i decided to highlight them on my copy of the specification, because i lost the file. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest