The Student Room Group

GCSE EdExcel Religious Studies help forum! :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by romansholiday
I've just been memorising stuff now.

I think I may be memorising some unnecessary things, but I can't memorise any of this stuff! It's just so long winded. I'm really starting to panic now, I feel like I wasted my time making all these flashcards.

With only 40 days until the exam I feel like I'm not gonna fit everything in:s-smilie:

You'll be okay! Don't panic :redface:
Just relax. Lean things that apply to loads of different units
For example:
Talking about 'thou shalt not kill' in the Decalogue applies to loadssss of different things... Abortion, euthanasia, capital punishment, war etc
Same with Sanctity of Life principle ^^

Just go through topics and see what you can remember :smile:
Original post by romansholiday
With only 40 days until the exam I feel like I'm not gonna fit everything in:s-smilie:

Don't scare me like that - I only started revising RE this morning! :eek4:
Original post by NiamhM1801
Don't scare me like that - I only started revising RE this morning! :eek4:

Have you made any notes/flashcards? You'll be fine, a lot of RE is writing technique and giving your opinion:wink:
Hi guys.
A question:
For the 2 markers,can you give your own definition(as long as it's right) or does it have to be edexcel's word for word definition
For E.g If i gave a reply of "A numinous experience is a feeling that wows an individual and makes them think that God is behind that" ,will that gain 2 marks or do i have to write "A numinous experience is an experience which overwhelms someone"(i think that's the edexcel meaning)
Original post by Blancosdos
Hi guys.
A question:
For the 2 markers,can you give your own definition(as long as it's right) or does it have to be edexcel's word for word definition
For E.g If i gave a reply of "A numinous experience is a feeling that wows an individual and makes them think that God is behind that" ,will that gain 2 marks or do i have to write "A numinous experience is an experience which overwhelms someone"(i think that's the edexcel meaning)

Hey
No, it doesn't have to be the word for word definition but it's got to be correct. Even if you look at the mark schemes it's very rare that the "correct" answer is the definition given in the specification. And personally I think that that answer is perfectly OK :smile:
Original post by sfaraj
okay this is crazy, im doing the exact everything, i wonder if we go to the same school??

No, yyou are just doing the same exam board EXCEL......lol.
Hey
No, it doesn't have to be the word for word definition but it's got to be correct. Even if you look at the mark schemes it's very rare that the "correct" answer is the definition given in the specification. And personally I think that that answer is perfectly OK :smile:

For part b ,can you give two reasons of sides?
For e.g
"Has attitudes to homosexuality changed in the UK?Give your opinion"
My answer would be :Yes i think attitudes to homosexuality has changed because it is now illegal to be homophobic and people can potentially be fired from their jobs(for e.g) if they are caught being homophobic
HOWEVER many terminology that is derogatory to homosexuals,and is used to insult them(for e.g "Gayboy,battyman,lesbo" etc) are still rife in society.Furthermore,some religions do not accept homosexuals marrying and some homosexual people are still afraid of revealing their sexual orientation to society due to the backlash "
For part b ,can you give two reasons of sides?
For e.g
"Has attitudes to homosexuality changed in the UK?Give your opinion"
My answer would be :Yes i think attitudes to homosexuality has changed because it is now illegal to be homophobic and people can potentially be fired from their jobs(for e.g) if they are caught being homophobic
HOWEVER many terminology that is derogatory to homosexuals,and is used to insult them(for e.g "Gayboy,battyman,lesbo" etc) are still rife in society.Furthermore,some religions do not accept homosexuals marrying and some homosexual people are still afraid of revealing their sexual orientation to society due to the backlash "

My RE teacher has told us NOT to do this as you may lose marks. Do not sit on the fence, choose one side or the other and make 2 points to support it.
Reply 48
Original post by Mez.
Could anyone help me with why justice is important to Muslims? Thanks :biggrin:

The Muslim teachings on Justice.
On the last day God will will reward those who have been just and fair towards other people.
The Quran teaches that God wants everyone to be fair.
Everyone is equal in Gods eyes.
The prophet Muhammed p.b.u.h always acted in a just way, which shows that we should also do the same.
Shariah law requires justice for all people.

Here you go, hope it helps.
Two questions:

For part B,do you get marks for saying "Yes i agree with this because as a Muslim/Christian i believe this because in the Quran(i'm Muslim) it says God designed the world"

For part A,do the answers have to be exact to Edexcel's definition.For E.g ,Edexcel definition of Abortion is "abortion the removal of a foetus from the womb before it can survive" but would i get a mark for saying "Abortion is the termination of a foetus before it has the will to survive".Anyways,the mark scheme says "award marks if reworded" but what constitutes those mark?
How is everyone balancing their revision for both Religion and Life and Religion and Society?
Original post by thepewds_
How is everyone balancing their revision for both Religion and Life and Religion and Society?

I finished making notes for unit 1 last week, and I'll finish making them for unit 8 tomorrow - then I can just review them tomorrow and Tuesday night

How about you?
Reply 52
Hey guys i have a question,
on the B question when you state your opinion are you allowed to give an opinion as to why you would agree as well as an opinion as to why you would disagree?
My old teacher said you are allowed to say:
I agree because ....
I also disagree because ....
But I want to be sure this is allowed as I do not want to lose 2 marks for this!
Two questions:

For part B,do you get marks for saying "Yes i agree with this because as a Muslim/Christian i believe this because in the Quran(i'm Muslim) it says God designed the world"

For part A,do the answers have to be exact to Edexcel's definition.For E.g ,Edexcel definition of Abortion is "abortion the removal of a foetus from the womb before it can survive" but would i get a mark for saying "Abortion is the termination of a foetus before it has the will to survive".Anyways,the mark scheme says "award marks if reworded" but what constitutes those mark?

Yes as long as it's relevant to the question and you back it up with an explanation
As long as your definition is vaguely similar to the official one, you'll get the marks (apart from on ones like Decalogue where it's simply the Ten Commandments, or prejudice 'pre-judging someone' )

Original post by abbigm1
Hey guys i have a question,
on the B question when you state your opinion are you allowed to give an opinion as to why you would agree as well as an opinion as to why you would disagree?
My old teacher said you are allowed to say:
I agree because ....
I also disagree because ....
But I want to be sure this is allowed as I do not want to lose 2 marks for this!

You can but it's better to stick to one side; if your reasons contradict each other you'll only get two marks so it isn't worth the risk (unless you have absolutely no idea)

Good luck for Monday guys! Gonna attempt a Unit 2 paper sometime today :colonhash:
Reply 54
Two questions:

No you would still get the mark
The definition doesnt have to be exact but similar
Ps. It says in the mark scheme
I finished making notes for unit 1 last week, and I'll finish making them for unit 8 tomorrow - then I can just review them tomorrow and Tuesday night

How about you?

I don't know. :bawling: It is my first ever proper exam as I'm in year 10 doing it early along side Psychology. :eek3:

I remember being so frustrated in my mocks because I couldn't even find the courage to look away from my paper and the desk because I was so frightened of the invigilators... Sounds silly I know. I messed up as well and missed out on six marks because I did the d-style question from the wrong question and only realised a minute before the exam was due to end! Got an A* in my mock and I'll be so disheartened if I don't get that in the actual thing.

I've been so restless and to think that it's so close pains me. :bricks:
Original post by thepewds_
I don't know. :bawling: It is my first ever proper exam as I'm in year 10 doing it early along side Psychology. :eek3:

I remember being so frustrated in my mocks because I couldn't even find the courage to look away from my paper and the desk because I was so frightened of the invigilators... Sounds silly I know. I messed up as well and missed out on six marks because I did the d-style question from the wrong question and only realised a minute before the exam was due to end! Got an A* in my mock and I'll be so disheartened if I don't get that in the actual thing.

I've been so restless and to think that it's so close pains me. :bricks:

Aw, try not to worry about it - it's only RE so I doubt it'll have much of an effect on your life if you don't do well, but considering you got an A* in your mock I wouldn't be worried at all!
In year 10 I got a B and then in year 11 I got an A, and I'm aiming for an A* in these proper exams.
Good luck for tomorrow and Wednesday, and for your psychology too! :smile:
Hi,

I haven't even revised yet and I'm just stuck...

How do you answer the C-style questions (8 marks)?

Can someone write me a model answer to this question please?

Explain how the followers of one religion respond to the scientific explanations ofthe origins of the world.
Aw, try not to worry about it - it's only RE so I doubt it'll have much of an effect on your life if you don't do well, but considering you got an A* in your mock I wouldn't be worried at all!
In year 10 I got a B and then in year 11 I got an A, and I'm aiming for an A* in these proper exams.
Good luck for tomorrow and Wednesday, and for your psychology too! :smile:

Thanks man that was reassuring and good luck to you too. :biggrin:
Reply 59
we did the 2012 mock in lesson and it was by faaaaaaaar the hardest mock ive seen so far the rest have been pretty good tbh

hoping tomorrow isnt like 2012 papers tbh........

last day revision masterrace

Quick Reply