The Student Room Group

CFE Higher French

I was wondering how people are preparing for the directed writing and opinion essay?

Scroll to see replies

I think I'm just going to memorise general phrases that can be adapted and try to build up a bank of essays to study from.
Reply 2
Original post by Heatherglade
I think I'm just going to memorise general phrases that can be adapted and try to build up a bank of essays to study from.

That is exactly what I was trying to attempt, I have starting picking topics like university, taking a gap year etc. and made general little essays for each topic to memorise so in the exam if something comes under that topic it can be tweaked.
Original post by roman707
That is exactly what I was trying to attempt, I have starting picking topics like university, taking a gap year etc. and made general little essays for each topic to memorise so in the exam if something comes under that topic it can be tweaked.

Yeah, that's pretty much my plan, though personal response is a lot more unpredictable. I reckon we should know where to showcase tenses as well. I've found that I mainly use the past tenses in the middle paragraphs and then future and conditional at the end, so I should probably fit in more during the first paragraph too :biggrin:
Hey I did nat 5 french in fourth year and took a break from it this year with very limited / no practise, how easy do you think it'll be for me to pick it back up? I'm worried I'll be behind the rest of the class because I'll probably be the only sixth year. I got 98% at nat 5
Original post by rachaelbtf
Hey I did nat 5 french in fourth year and took a break from it this year with very limited / no practise, how easy do you think it'll be for me to pick it back up? I'm worried I'll be behind the rest of the class because I'll probably be the only sixth year. I got 98% at nat 5

I think it'll depend on how much work you put into it. Some of the main differences between nat 5 and higher are that you can't prepare for the directed writing as much, as there are no guaranteed bullet points. For listening you have to write another essay answering questions that are usually/should be based on the listening (can't remember if this is the same for nat 5 or not). Speaking also lasts longer I think.
Anyway, I think it depends on how good/supportive your department is as well. We had 6th years in our higher class this year and I think they're all predicted As or Bs. If you decide to take it, good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by rachaelbtf

I think you'll be absolutely fine if you put full effort! I had to take French in fourth year which made me hate French and I completely blocked Nat 5 because I never expected to take French again but I had no choice in sixth year to take it again. I felt like I was completely crashing the course because I basically done Nat 5 for less than a year because I had to drop Italian at the start of 4th year because our Italian teacher went on maternity leave. So I've basically started from scratch with French and don't worry about being the only sixth year in your class I'm sure there'll be a few sixth years, there's 4 of us in our class.

Also I don't believe the higher course will teach you how to speak French or understand it fluently, it's something you need to be committed to and learn the language in your own time.
Reply 7
Yeah, that's pretty much my plan, though personal response is a lot more unpredictable. I reckon we should know where to showcase tenses as well. I've found that I mainly use the past tenses in the middle paragraphs and then future and conditional at the end, so I should probably fit in more during the first paragraph too :biggrin:

Nice tip I didn't even realise, I have a feeling the exam won't be something too bizarre well I hope haha
Nice tip I didn't even realise, I have a feeling the exam won't be something too bizarre well I hope haha

I hope so too :biggrin: I heard something about the higher Italian personal response only having two questions though...
Reply 9
I hope so too :biggrin: I heard something about the higher Italian personal response only having two questions though...

Seriously??:frown: that's so unfair making me even sadder about Italian haha
Reply 10
What did you guys get in your talk??
Reply 11
Original post by djac99

23/30 :smile:
Original post by djac99

30/30 you?
Original post by djac99

27/30
Reply 14
23/30 :smile:

Original post by scottishgirl163
30/30 you?

Original post by slothonist
27/30

Nice one guys!! I got 27/30 :smile: so are you excited for tomorrow??? :wink:
Original post by djac99
Nice one guys!! I got 27/30 :smile: so are you excited for tomorrow??? :wink:

I actually am :tongue: although, I'm quite stressed about listening
Reply 16
Original post by slothonist
I actually am :tongue: although, I'm quite stressed about listening

Yeah same! I'm quite good at the other bits but I'm so so bad at listening :frown: haha
Reply 17
I have just had a brain wave, I checked all last years papers in different modern languages and they Short opinion writing is all on the same thing, so that could be the same this year and Italians been so it will be the same topic as that. Does any one know the topic in the Italian exam??!! X
Reply 18
Original post by Zara🎀
I have just had a brain wave, I checked all last years papers in different modern languages and they Short opinion writing is all on the same thing, so that could be the same this year and Italians been so it will be the same topic as that. Does any one know the topic in the Italian exam??!! X

For the short essay??? Cause I did a practice essay from the italian question the other day and the question was: What is your ideal job? Is it important to have a lot of money?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by djac99
For the short essay??? Cause I did a practice essay from the italian question the other day and the question was: What is your ideal job? Is it important to have a lot of money?

Was that the final 2016 exam question

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending