The Student Room Group

Economics AS AQA exam tomorrow 16/05/2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kushal_C
The + and - is only for income elasticity of demand I swear?? (Well that's what I've learn't doing AQA)

Yes, and cross elasticity. PED is always negative and PES is always positive
Is this the resits for the econ 1 paper tomorrow, or is this new spec AS exam
Original post by guyr
NASBIT framework from uplearn.co.uk

Thanks
guys any tips for 12 markers?
Reply 24
Original post by pinkpanther101
Is this the resits for the econ 1 paper tomorrow, or is this new spec AS exam

new spec for me I think for everyone else too
Reply 25
Everyone watch the first 13 videos in this playlist it will really help its tips for the exam
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWeicFreBUYDTBxILneSnPxUqxKUb3xGz
Reply 26
Wait what's the diagram for composite and derived demand?
I know but they are the easiest to evaluate xD any thing to do with demerit and merit goods. As long as its a question with an easy market failure that I can use my externalities diagrams for then I'm good.
Original post by Karan8298
Anyone have a good way of remembering the externality diagrams? I always seem to forget them :frown:

What is it about them that you struggle to remember? Happy to help...:biggrin:
Reply 29
Tax Diagram?
Reply 30
Thanks a lot!!! But for tax diagrams does that shift supply curve to the left? Or does it affect demand too?
If anyone wants to join the economics whats app chat pm me, ill add you- ask any questions there
Reply 32
So where would the tax revenue be?
Exactly, at least have one good context. But pray no buffer stocks come up.
Reply 34
Oh thank god.
OMg my teacher taught me it for no reason XD
Original post by Nik12
It depends if you are talking in terms of what it looks like on the graph. For example if the Demand curve is steep it will be fairly Inelastic. And if the demand curve is quite shallow it will be fairly elastic. An easy way to remember it is that a steep curve looks like an I (which is the first letter of Inelastic). And then you'll know the other one is elastic.

But if you are talking in terms of numbers after calculations then if the number is <1 it will be inelastic. If it's >1 then its elastic. And a (+) will mean its a normal good, therefore a (-) is a inferior good. Hope that helps, i'm just revising elasticity now xD

The normal/inferior goods are only for income elasticity (YED), for PED the vast majority of goods have a negative value because as price falls, demand increases, but theres a few with positive values for which a price increase causes a demand increase. The two on the spec are veblen goods (snob value), and giffen goods.
[QUOTE="Karan8298;64814979"]I always mix up the labeling of the demand/supply curves however I think I've got it now.

Negative externality: Social Costs > Private Costs

Positive externality: Social Benefits > Private Benefits[/QUOTE

If we are talking consumption, then we consider the benefits curve, (demand) we can have positive and negative externalities of consumption.

If we are talking production, then we consider the costs curve, (supply) we can also have both positive and negative externalities in production.

MSB/MSC, is where we want to be, where social welfare is optimised.
MPB/MPC, is where the free market mechanism operates, where supply meets demand.

A positive externality in consumption would mean MSB exceeds MPB, and we operate at MPB=MPC, therefore we under consume the good and don't receive the positive externalities that we would if we operated at MSB. The government may give incentives to the consumer to consume these goods, perhaps a subsidy on consumption, which would shift supply out to the MSB curve, where welfare is optimised and positive externalities are gained.

A negative externality in consumption would mean MPB exceeds MSB, and we operate at MPB=MPC therefore we over consume that good and create negative externalities whilst doing so. The government would try to reduce demand for these goods perhaps by introducing a tax on consumers which could shift demand inwards to the MSB curve, where negative externalities are limited.

A positive externality in production would mean that MSC exceeds MPC, and we operate at MPB=MPC therefore we under produce that good and do not receive the positive externalities that we would if we operated at MSC. To help gain these positive externalities the government could subsidise production of these goods to help shift supply outwards to the MSC curve, where social welfare in optimised.

A negative externality in production would mean that MPC exceeds MSC, and we operate at MPB=MPC therefore we over produce the good and cause negative externalities whilst doing so. To get rid of these negative externalities, the government could tax the producers, to try and shift supply inwards to the MSC curve, where negative externalities are taken into account and social welfare is optimised.

Hope this helps, if you're still confused and have any questions please ask.
(edited 7 years ago)
you should watch PajHolden on YouTube, he is really helpful with the externality diagrams and explains them very well. :smile:
So bloody nervous. I just hope I can answer the questions without freezing up lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending