The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

You've used the approximation g=9.8g=9.8, leave your answer in terms of gg. Otherwise, it's fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Zacken
You've used the approximation g=9.8g=9.8, leave your answer in terms of gg. Otherwise, it's fine.

Hmm. If thats the case where am I going wrong in the next part.

Its a bit messy lol.
http://m.imgur.com/V7LRq6s
Reply 3
Original post by Super199
Hmm. If thats the case where am I going wrong in the next part.

Its a bit messy lol.
http://m.imgur.com/V7LRq6s

The line beginning with 3x^2 - 40xtan 30 + ...

Check your signs, why has it suddenly become -40xtan30 etc...
Reply 4
Original post by Zacken
The line beginning with 3x^2 - 40xtan 30 + ...

Check your signs, why has it suddenly become -40xtan30 etc...

What;s wrong with it. I've just taken everything to the other side to get of the -3 in front of the x^2.
Reply 5
What;s wrong with it. I've just taken everything to the other side to get of the -3 in front of the x^2.

Then why is the number before the x^2 +3 and not -3...?
Reply 6
Original post by Zacken
Then why is the number before the x^2 +3 and not -3...?

I don't get what you mean sorry.

y=xtan30 - 3/40x^2

Sub 0.6 in and multiply by 40.

24 = 40xtan30 - 3x^2
Make x^2 positive
3x^2-40xtan30 +24 =0
Solve quadratic.
Reply 7

24 = 40xtan30 - 3x^2
Make x^2 positive
3x^2-40xtan30 +24 =0
Solve quadratic.

Urgh, I'm being an idiot. Your mistake was in the first part.

You're dividing by (for the x^2 term) cos230=34\cos^2 30^{\circ} = \frac{3}{4} so you should multiply by 43\frac{4}{3}. You're multiplying by 34\frac{3}{4}.

That is: 4.9x249cos230=2x215\frac{4.9x^2}{49 \cos^2 30^{\circ}} = \frac{2x^2}{15}
Reply 8
Original post by Zacken
Urgh, I'm being an idiot. Your mistake was in the first part.

You're dividing by (for the x^2 term) cos230=34\cos^2 30^{\circ} = \frac{3}{4} so you should multiply by 43\frac{4}{3}. You're multiplying by 34\frac{3}{4}.

That is: 4.9x249cos230=2x215\frac{4.9x^2}{49 \cos^2 30^{\circ}} = \frac{2x^2}{15}

No worries :smile:
Do you mind helping with the third part. What does it mean by 'and the particle is rising' what does that effect?
Reply 9
No worries :smile:
Do you mind helping with the third part. What does it mean by 'and the particle is rising' what does that effect?

It just means that there are two moments where y=0.6, one when the particle is going up, passes the y=0.6 mark and continues going up to the max height before falling back down, passing the y=0.6 mark again and then falling down to the ground. The question is specifying to work with the first moment when the particle crosses the y=0.6 mark on its way up.
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
It just means that there are two moments where y=0.6, one when the particle is going up, passes the y=0.6 mark and continues going up to the max height before falling back down, passing the y=0.6 mark again and then falling down to the ground. The question is specifying to work with the first moment when the particle crosses the y=0.6 mark on its way up.

So it has nothing to do with ii?
Reply 11
So it has nothing to do with ii?

Yep. It's just normal SUVAT.

(Although there is an alternative method where you can differentiate the answer to (i), blah blah but it's more complicated)
Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
Yep. It's just normal SUVAT.

(Although there is an alternative method where you can differentiate the answer to (i), blah blah but it's more complicated)

yh fair enough. So what was the point of putting that particle rising bs. Like that ****ed with me and I thought I had to use x= 1.73 from the previous part or some ****.
Reply 13
yh fair enough. So what was the point of putting that particle rising bs. Like that ****ed with me and I thought I had to use x= 1.73 from the previous part or some ****.

Like I said, it specifies that it wants the direction when the particle is going up and not at the second moment when the particle is going down. Because there are two points on the parabolic trajectory where y=0.6.
Reply 14
Original post by Zacken
Like I said, it specifies that it wants the direction when the particle is going up and not at the second moment when the particle is going down. Because there are two points on the parabolic trajectory where y=0.6.

would you use u=7sin30 if the particle was going down? Or is that only for up
Reply 15
would you use u=7sin30 if the particle was going down? Or is that only for up

You'd use it for both.
Reply 16
Original post by Zacken
You'd use it for both.

Cheers.
With q1 I never understand how these energy qs work.
Why don't we consider the resistance to motion * 30 as an energy?
Reply 17
Cheers.
With q1 I never understand how these energy qs work.
Why don't we consider the resistance to motion * 30 as an energy?

Where did 30 come from?
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken
Where did 30 come from?

Sorry 20m. As that is the work done by the resistance?
Reply 19
Sorry 20m. As that is the work done by the resistance?

Yes, it's the work done against resistance, but the energy of the sledge and load has nothing to do with the resistance of the motion, the energy of the sledge and load is purely K.E - G.P.E. The work done against resistance is used in the second part.

Quick Reply

Latest