The Student Room Group

To firm or not to firm dilemma

Hi. :smile:

I'm an EU applicant and I got a conditional offer from Glasgow Biochemistry plus I am on the waiting list for Medicine in Aberdeen, so I haven't firmed the Biochem course yet. My deadline for firming is June 8.

The thing is, my condition for Biochem says that I have to achieve 1111 in maturita exam (Czech equivalent of A levels) which I am sitting on Tuesday. However, I am not so confident whether I'll be able to achieve my predicted grades (1111). On the other hand, I've read stories on this website about people who underachieved but got in anyway.

So I was thinking - would it be better for me if I firmed the Biochemistry course now before the exam and gave up Medicine entirely in case I got worse grades? I would be in a better position to get in Biochem with worse grades then, because I firmed them, right?

On the other hand, I could still get 1111 and therefore miss the opportunity to get in Medicine from the waiting list. So I'd rather not firm Biochem yet.

I'd be happy to do either of those courses, but Medicine is more appealing. So what do you think is the wisest decision? I know I will have to decide for myself in the end, just want to know what are others'opinions on this. :smile:

Thanks for reading. :smile:
Original post by Kylare
Hi. :smile:

I'm an EU applicant and I got a conditional offer from Glasgow Biochemistry plus I am on the waiting list for Medicine in Aberdeen, so I haven't firmed the Biochem course yet. My deadline for firming is June 8.

The thing is, my condition for Biochem says that I have to achieve 1111 in maturita exam (Czech equivalent of A levels) which I am sitting on Tuesday. However, I am not so confident whether I'll be able to achieve my predicted grades (1111). On the other hand, I've read stories on this website about people who underachieved but got in anyway.

So I was thinking - would it be better for me if I firmed the Biochemistry course now before the exam and gave up Medicine entirely in case I got worse grades? I would be in a better position to get in Biochem with worse grades then, because I firmed them, right?

On the other hand, I could still get 1111 and therefore miss the opportunity to get in Medicine from the waiting list. So I'd rather not firm Biochem yet.

I'd be happy to do either of those courses, but Medicine is more appealing. So what do you think is the wisest decision? I know I will have to decide for myself in the end, just want to know what are others'opinions on this. :smile:

Thanks for reading. :smile:

I would firm Med if you prefer Med. Not firming Med and then getting the grades you would have needed would be a huge regret, from my point of view at least.
Reply 2
I would wait and hope you get in for the Med course if that is what you want to do!
Reply 3
Original post by emiloujess
I would firm Med if you prefer Med. Not firming Med and then getting the grades you would have needed would be a huge regret, from my point of view at least.

I cannot firm, because I am only on the waiting list. This means I am rejected, but there is a small chance they would give me a late offer in the summer.

Original post by Sabah97
I would wait and hope you get in for the Med course if that is what you want to do!

But maybe it would be safer to just firm the Biochem offer? I think they'd rather accept me with lower grades than predicted if I firm them beforehand. I'm not sure. I kinda want to do both, but definitely not a gap year. :frown:
Reply 4
But maybe it would be safer to just firm the Biochem offer? I think they'd rather accept me with lower grades than predicted if I firm them beforehand. I'm not sure. I kinda want to do both, but definitely not a gap year. :frown:

If you wait you would be able to put them both down so there is double chance of actually getting into uni otherwise you would that the lower entry requirements as your firm so would only have that one chance

(idk if that makes much sense :/)

Quick Reply

Latest