The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get A* in English Literature GCSE?

How hard is it to get A* in English Literature GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I have my GCSE English Literature exams in a couple of weeks. I've heard that its not too difficult, if your points are based on language, form and structure and are well developed (PEEEEL) then there is no reason you cannot get an A*. Good luck to you!
I got 9A*s last year, English Lit. was one of the only subjects were i couldn't get an A*. That being said, i could've spent more time going over poetry as if managed to F**k that paper up. I still got an A, so not too bad.
Reply 3
Original post by eviemason
Hi, I have my GCSE English Literature exams in a couple of weeks. I've heard that its not too difficult, if your points are based on language, form and structure and are well developed (PEEEEL) then there is no reason you cannot get an A*. Good luck to you!

what do all the E stand for
I got an A* in eng lit when I did it for GCSE, remember reading Of Mice and Men and Romeo and Juliet as the pieces. If I'm honest I didn't revise for it much at all, but I've always had a passion for eng lit and understood what the author was trying to convey pretty well. The advice I'd give is to try your best, and not over-read some pieces:smile:
Reply 5
I don't think it's too difficult compared to other subjects. My teacher is always saying that schools focus on language a lot more than lit so the grade boundaries are often low? :s-smilie:
Original post by Himtiaz
what do all the E stand for

Point
Evidence
Explain
Explore
Evaluate
Link

Hope this helps.
Reply 7
Original post by eviemason
Point
Evidence
Explain
Explore
Evaluate
Link

Hope this helps.

Could you explain what you mean of explore and evaluate?
Spent the whole year getting 3/20 and low marks like that last year in lit, accepted fate because I had such a bad work ethic but came out with an A*. I told a sixth former friend about it bc she wanted to do lit at uni, so she offered to help me and it did. Just 20 minutes during thursday PM reg, she sat me down with a random poem and got me to talk about it. I was so stiff and couldn't come up with anything at first, but within weeks I was writing paragraphs about them and surprised by what I could do. Remember to stick to PEE paragraphs and stick to that only, linkig sentences with snazzy words like "thus" "furthermore", or if you do a language think about all the connectives you're made to use in writing and use those. I used to get panicky over "How do I even know if its worth of a point???" in the exam, but NEVER be afraid to point out the obvious. The text is 100% your canvas and you can think about absolutely anything, as long as you use evidence and PLEASE use loads of evidence whilst in your writing (forgot the word for it) like: 'Knowing the write explains the cat as "extremely fluffy", it also links into the 1735 battle of kittens'. Use adult vocab, compliment the author as much as possible e.g "Orwell cleverly states that" bc examiners are english nerds an if they think you <3 their people they will love you. Don't be afraid to be controversial, and the more evidence the better. Know your way around your books, be aware of context and just enjoy the exam really
Original post by Himtiaz
Could you explain what you mean of explore and evaluate?

Explore- offer an alternate explanation "However, this could also suggest..."
Evaluate- explain significance "This is particularly effective because..."
Reply 10
Original post by ImagineCats
Spent the whole year getting 3/20 and low marks like that last year in lit, accepted fate because I had such a bad work ethic but came out with an A*. I told a sixth former friend about it bc she wanted to do lit at uni, so she offered to help me and it did. Just 20 minutes during thursday PM reg, she sat me down with a random poem and got me to talk about it. I was so stiff and couldn't come up with anything at first, but within weeks I was writing paragraphs about them and surprised by what I could do. Remember to stick to PEE paragraphs and stick to that only, linkig sentences with snazzy words like "thus" "furthermore", or if you do a language think about all the connectives you're made to use in writing and use those. I used to get panicky over "How do I even know if its worth of a point???" in the exam, but NEVER be afraid to point out the obvious. The text is 100% your canvas and you can think about absolutely anything, as long as you use evidence and PLEASE use loads of evidence whilst in your writing (forgot the word for it) like: 'Knowing the write explains the cat as "extremely fluffy", it also links into the 1735 battle of kittens'. Use adult vocab, compliment the author as much as possible e.g "Orwell cleverly states that" bc examiners are english nerds an if they think you <3 their people they will love you. Don't be afraid to be controversial, and the more evidence the better. Know your way around your books, be aware of context and just enjoy the exam really

Probably because you don't use...

PARAGRAPH!

LoL only joking GL and all that

srs

paragraph and you'd make a good writer.
Original post by Thomb
Probably because you don't use...

PARAGRAPH!

LoL only joking GL and all that

srs

paragraph and you'd make a good writer.

LOL

U JKZ

thnx

I hope to be a science writer one day or a doctor

who knows

??

U 2 g gd luck
Reply 12

This so motivating; thank you:smile:
Do you now do English lit for a level?
Reply 13
LOL

U JKZ

thnx

I hope to be a science writer one day or a doctor

who knows

??

U 2 g gd luck

srs

U are 2 dense

JK LoL :biggrin:

GD luck B'cos Doctors have terrible writing its a common misanomaly that doctors have terrible handwriting skills?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Rajive
This so motivating; thank you:smile:
Do you now do English lit for a level?

No problem pal! PM me if you need anymore help.
Nope I don't, all because I spent year 11 thinking it was my worst subject as it was my lowest projected grade and had 0 confidence in it whatsoever. When I saw the grade on results day I was absolutely ecstatic as I REALLY wasn't expecting it- but I sadly felt like one of those people on results day.
I do German, geography, biology, chemistry AS but sort of regretting not taking lit after I realised I was pretty good at it after all, and reading books I get such a good feel for them now. It really is a matter of confidence!
Lit, geography, French and German were my 100% UMS A* grades, so sort of wish I took those to AS but hey ho.
Original post by Thomb
srs

U are 2 dense

JK LoL :biggrin:

GD luck B'cos Doctors have terrible writing its a common misanomaly that doctors have terrible handwriting skills?

Gettin fancy w the bold text now lmao!!!!!!!! !!

Lol

na its calm my handwriting is terrible

My parents got me a book on how to improve my handwriting

and my teachers write to my parents saying why they can't mark my work

tragic

But I'll fit in w my fellow life savers !!!!!!lol!!!! sick!!

ye doin gcse this year?? enjoy relaxing while u can
No problem pal! PM me if you need anymore help.
Nope I don't, all because I spent year 11 thinking it was my worst subject as it was my lowest projected grade and had 0 confidence in it whatsoever. When I saw the grade on results day I was absolutely ecstatic as I REALLY wasn't expecting it- but I sadly felt like one of those people on results day.
I do German, geography, biology, chemistry AS but sort of regretting not taking lit after I realised I was pretty good at it after all, and reading books I get such a good feel for them now. It really is a matter of confidence!
Lit, geography, French and German were my 100% UMS A* grades, so sort of wish I took those to AS but hey ho.

How did you do it?
Reply 17
Gettin fancy w the bold text now lmao!!!!!!!! !!

Lol

na its calm my handwriting is terrible

My parents got me a book on how to improve my handwriting

and my teachers write to my parents saying why they can't mark my work

tragic

But I'll fit in w my fellow life savers !!!!!!lol!!!! sick!!

ye doin gcse this year?? enjoy relaxing while u can

I'm doing GCSE next year but I'm just about to start studying. I'm a mature student who dropped out and now I'm dropping back in.

You'll fit right in with the rest of the clique doctors if your handwriting really is that bad.
Original post by Himtiaz
How did you do it?

Already explained the A* in lit, but languages I was naturally good at so I loved those and aced them. Geography was the exam I worked hardest for- did enough past papers to get a feel for the exam layout and how to answer those annoying "LOOK @ THIS GRAPH. TELL ME ABOUT THIS GRAPH!!!!!!" evil questions, went through the revision guide and if I ever got a question in a past paper wrong, I'd go back and learn about it. I also love keeping tallys of my past papers so I can keep track of my progress. All my past papers leading up to the exam were the D/E mark, but I just keptgoing and somehow got that mark. Remember examiners are geniuses in their subject and they mark your paper using the mark scheme for guidance, not as a Bible. If your answer answers the question and you deffo use an example, you'll get the mark. Know your case studies, know a few MEDCs/LEDCs and throw in some key words- you'll be absolutely fine.

I think for languages you ought to get used to fluency. Listen to music, watch youtubers, watch films/TV shows in that language- anything to make sure the listening exam isn't you like"woah ok this isnt english!!!panic!!!"

Good luck!
Original post by Thomb
I'm doing GCSE next year but I'm just about to start studying. I'm a mature student who dropped out and now I'm dropping back in.

You'll fit right in with the rest of the clique doctors if your handwriting really is that bad.

Major respect for you right there, best of luck with everything

loool gotta get myself into med school somehow first then focus on cliques. Hoping to slide in w the pediatricians lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending