The Student Room Group

Slang words that make you cringe...

Scroll to see replies

Agreeing with paigon, peng, bear and on fleek.

But I have to say any slang used to describe attractive people is the most cringey for me, can't even deal with these guys saying 'fit' and that's not really even slang.
Original post by UDZ
That is off topic to this thread. This thread is about annoying slang words then some fine gentleman (or woman, no idea) came along accusing everyone of being classist and racist for saying they hate the word "bae" etc.

Yes, I'm just asking why:

1. You consider Shakespearean neologisms to be acceptable whereas modern ones (made by whatever class?) are not. (I note also that you cite Latinate words of Shakespeare's, do you think they're more impressive than Anglo-Saxon ones? If so, why?)

2. You consider that "peak", "bare" etc add nothing to the language. I reiterate for the third time that I would love to hear you express their meaning in Standard English.

By the way, addiction is attested from c. 1450, inaudible from c. 1530. Choose words Shakespeare actually invented.

At this juncture no criticism involving classism is being made: I am happy to save that for when the argument develops further.
Original post by LewisClothier
Agreeing with paigon, peng, bear and on fleek.

But I have to say any slang used to describe attractive people is the most cringey for me, can't even deal with these guys saying 'fit' and that's not really even slang.

Fit is slang, it's just that older people use it, ut having been widespread since the early 2000s, so you think it is passing into the vocabulary of Standard English. This is precisely how language evolution occurs.
Reply 224
Banter
Lad
'Bantz'
Bae
Lol
Original post by aarora
For me it has to be 'Alie' - yes people STILL say it.

islamaphobe
Reply 226
when people say 'bare' :angry:

eg - there were 'bare' people there

by far the worst one haha
Why are people getting so butthurt over other people's comments? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Gassed
piss
brov
fam
Original post by aarora
That's how YOU probably spell it.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=alie

loool lowe it u neek i kno how to spell it n im right i wasseen nerd
Original post by scrotgrot
That would seem to be your problem. Clearly everyone else they talk to is capable of understanding it or they wouldn't say it: why can't you?

I myself have a degree in linguistics and speak impeccable "Queen's English" (which is actually an accent, not a vocabulary, but that might be a bit complicated for you at this stage).

It does not do to be sneering at the language of working-class people. This stuff has always been the engine of language change (while all upper-class attempts to regulate language have fallen flat) and I would suspect a large majority of the words we use from day to day are demotic in origin.

Why on earth is what the Queen (supposedly) talks like more important than what most people talk like?

I too speak 'Queens English' ( the accent ). I understand what you are talking about but slang has really gong of the rails. There is dialect and then there is slang. Slang is just creating another messed up language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
your mums
Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786
I too speak 'Queens English' ( the accent ). I understand what you are talking about but slang has really gong of the rails. There is dialect and then there is slang. Slang is just creating another messed up language.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's not, it's just adding a few items of vocabulary to the existing language, thus enriching it, and driving its evolution, as has always happened. New words do not arise unless there is a need for them at the nexus of semantics and sociolinguistics. What that means is that slang is created out of a need to describe objects and situations particular to a certain community of speakers for which the standard language either cannot concisely express or does not convey the sociological implications the speaker wants to connote.

I'm afraid it's quite clear from that statement that you don't understand what I am talking about.
peng.... i hate it, it sounds stupid. who even came up with it? i just think penguin when i hear it now. (At first i thought it meant pregnant...)
Original post by scrotgrot
No it's not, it's just adding a few items of vocabulary to the existing language, thus enriching it, and driving its evolution, as has always happened. New words do not arise unless there is a need for them at the nexus of semantics and sociolinguistics. What that means is that slang is created out of a need to describe objects and situations particular to a certain community of speakers for which the standard language either cannot concisely express or does not convey the sociological implications the speaker wants to connote.

I'm afraid it's quite clear from that statement that you don't understand what I am talking about.

I completely understand what you are talking about. However, I think that some people take it too far. Of course, as you've said, you have a degree in linguistics ? Therefore, you have more knowledge about this topic than me. My comments are merely opinions of a person that doesn't speak slang and hasn't been brought up to speak it.
your peng babes dont get mad at tha word yh it calm af
"Peng". I've met 23 year old men who say it unironically.
your bare annoying u no ima shag your gyal bare times
because she loves me bare amounts
Original post by M14B
Fam

i only cringe when i hear people from the rich,posh parts of town say it, not where im from

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending