The Student Room Group

AQA AS History Exam Timing

Is anyone finding it really difficult to write answers in the time given in exams? Its 2 25 marks questions, 40 minutes on each one. The maximum I can really manage in that time is 3.5 - 4 pages and I don't feel I mention everything I can. For instance, in questions about the causes of the 1917 October revolution in Russia, there is so much to cover. Furthermore, in the first question you have to read 2 sources and analyse them, which reduces the time even more. I'm getting extreme hand pain from writing, damn crazy.

How much is everyone else writing for an answer, I need to know as I don't know how much to write.

Thanks boys and girls, and have a fantastic night and may Gandhi bless you.
I suggest you look at the mark schemes, That will give you a better idea of where you ought to be putting the emphasis for marks and at what level of detail you need to write.. You should be able to manage it in 4 pages, but thats where past papers come in and getting them marked. You need to know what you can miss out. The issue is less about how much but what you write.
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Is anyone finding it really difficult to write answers in the time given in exams? Its 2 25 marks questions, 40 minutes on each one. The maximum I can really manage in that time is 3.5 - 4 pages and I don't feel I mention everything I can. For instance, in questions about the causes of the 1917 October revolution in Russia, there is so much to cover. Furthermore, in the first question you have to read 2 sources and analyse them, which reduces the time even more. I'm getting extreme hand pain from writing, damn crazy.

How much is everyone else writing for an answer, I need to know as I don't know how much to write.

Thanks boys and girls, and have a fantastic night and may Gandhi bless you.

Don't worry about writing much, it's all about the detail and your argument. I write three detailed paragraphs for each question usually, and get 23 - 25 marks always.

edit - forgot to mention, AFAIK they never ask you a broad question like 'what are the causes of the October revolution'?

It will always be something like, 'The October Revolution would have not occurred had the Provisional Government sued for peace'. Explain why you agree or disagree with this statement.

Then you just talk about the issues of the War in a single paragraph, and in the other two (or three) you talk about the economy, Bolshevik popularity, etc. In this style, you aren't strained to just list the causes, but you actually have to make an argument, and it doesn't matter if you don't cover everything because its YOUR argument.
(edited 7 years ago)
I really struggle for time management as well - I think what you've got to keep in mind is that you don't need to list everything.
Say they asked you about the Russian economy from 1894-1914 (which i hope to god they don't), you wouldn't list every single statistic. Be concise but analytical - this will get you the best marks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending