The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
Dear me. Okay, let me make this perfectly clear before I reiterate what I have already said about a thousand times in the past month on this issue.

Your religion calls my lifestyle immoral and condemns my acts of love also. There are also radical Christians out there who would be happy if homosexuals were murdered along with other minorities. So do not forget that when you're besmirching the name of one other faith simply because its been given so much media coverage that its been bombarded left right and centre. Many muslims do not condone the execution of homosexuals and many would not treat you or I differently. This poll asks for beliefs. @Lord Samosa does not feel that homosexual acts or morally in-keeping with Islamic tradition. However, that does not make him an extremist or a hateful idiot. It's his faith and I respect that as much as he respects my sexuality. I would not judge him or treat him abhorrently because he has views based on his faith. Religion has collectively condemned people for all manner of things. If we followed religion literally, we'd all be lining up for hell.

You do understand the difference between a persons sexuality and a persons beliefs or faith?

Why on earth would you choose to respect someones immoral beliefs simply because it is their faith?
*sigh*
Original post by Betelgeuse-
You do understand the difference between a persons sexuality and a persons beliefs or faith?

Why on earth would you choose to respect someones immoral beliefs simply because it is their faith?

Yes, funnily enough I do.

Because it's their beliefs and whether or not they are immoral depends entirely on your code of ethics. Furthermore, I could not care less what somebody thinks about me - its what they do about it that can be an issue.
Reply 63
The difference between the moderate muslims and normal muslims is that moderate would not necesarly behead you but instead demand that everybody accomodates to them and "do not hurt their religious feelings", At the same time they hold radical views.
Yes, funnily enough I do.

Because it's their beliefs and whether or not they are immoral depends entirely on your code of ethics. Furthermore, I could not care less what somebody thinks about me - its what they do about it that can be an issue.

Then you accept that respecting a persons sexuality is entirely different to respecting a persons beliefs?

Just because something is someones belief does not make it deserving of respect, people understand this until it comes to religion and then they dont. Why are a persons religious beliefs deemed to be deserving of respect? It makes no sense.. Is it because people see that they hold them so dearly?

I can think of nothing more detrimental to LGBT people than religion and its desperately protected beliefs. It might not directly impact you as a person what Brad the devout christian thinks should be done to people like you here in the UK but thats because religion and its power here in the UK has been diminished so greatly, by people who do not respect religion and its beliefs
Then you accept that respecting a persons sexuality is entirely different to respecting a persons beliefs?

Just because something is someones belief does not make it deserving of respect, people understand this until it comes to religion and then they dont. Why are a persons religious beliefs deemed to be deserving of respect? It makes no sense.. Is it because people see that they hold them so dearly?

I can think of nothing more detrimental to LGBT people than religion and its desperately protected beliefs. It might not directly impact you as a person what Brad the devout christian thinks should be done to people like you here in the UK but thats because religion and its power here in the UK has been diminished so greatly, by people who do not respect religion and its beliefs

Yes. Belief is optional. Sexuality is not. One has the potential to harm, the other does not.

No because they are theirs. Who am I to tell somebody what to believe? You should respect people as individuals and respect their beliefs. It does not mean you have to agree with them.

No. You are wrong. People do respect religion, they sinply do not think it should be used as a basis for government of a country.
You are so obsessed with Islam. Sadly it wont go anywhere, hun. Keep burning your self.. Islam is here to stay.
Yes. Belief is optional. Sexuality is not. One has the potential to harm, the other does not.

No because they are theirs. Who am I to tell somebody what to believe? You should respect people as individuals and respect their beliefs. It does not mean you have to agree with them.

No. You are wrong. People do respect religion, they sinply do not think it should be used as a basis for government of a country.

Its not telling somebody what to believe, but challenging beliefs which you deem wrong or immoral. Would you respect somebody as an individual that believed gays should be sent to Auschwitz and executed? I wouldn't respect that person and i would challenge that belief.

I am going to disagree with on your last point, people in the UK are happy for others to be able to practice their religion but that does not mean they respect that religion.
Its not telling somebody what to believe, but challenging beliefs which you deem wrong or immoral. Would you respect somebody as an individual that believed gays should be sent to Auschwitz and executed? I wouldn't respect that person and i would challenge that belief.

I am going to disagree with on your last point, people in the UK are happy for others to be able to practice their religion but that does not mean they respect that religion.

Well, I do not think I have the right to do that. I'd say that belief is very different from thinking gay sex is immoral, which is what most religious people purport. I wouldn't really care what somebody believes, stating something like that says something about them as a person and I'd judge them accordingly. I feel like your average religious person and their beliefs are very different to what you are trying to illustrate. You can disagree, but that is how I feel about what you have said.

Allowing people to practise is a blatant sign of one respecting the people that follow that religion. And that is what I agree with. You are not grasping the distinction I am making.

I think we should agree to disagree - we're not going to get anywhere. You disagree with me, and I disagree with you.
Only simpletons would believe this rubbish, thanks for this, it was a good chuckle. Another pathetic attempt from the TSR islamophobes, go over to 4chan where your simple mindedness is far more appreciated.
Well, I do not think I have the right to do that. I'd say that belief is very different from thinking gay sex is immoral, which is what most religious people purport. I wouldn't really care what somebody believes, stating something like that says something about them as a person and I'd judge them accordingly. I feel like your average religious person and their beliefs are very different to what you are trying to illustrate. You can disagree, but that is how I feel about what you have said.

Allowing people to practise is a blatant sign of one respecting the people that follow that religion. And that is what I agree with. You are not grasping the distinction I am making.

I think we should agree to disagree - we're not going to get anywhere. You disagree with me, and I disagree with you.

There still might be life in this ol dog just yet...!

"Allowing people to practise is a blatant sign of one respecting the people that follow that religion."

Allowing people to practice is not a blatant sign of one respecting that religion. People are not showing respect to religion by allowing people to practice religion, they are showing respect to a persons right to do so and freedom

If an organisation formed this week whereby its followers in its millions chose to go onto their front lawns and eat grass like a cow whilst "Moooing" loudly... people would not necessarily respect this organisation and its actions, but they would respect that its their choice to collectively get together and eat the grass on their front lawns whilst "Mooooing"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tawheed
Let's have one about many atheists not considering homosexual incest to be immoral.

I've not seen you put forward an argument why it is immoral. Please do enlighten us.
There still might be life in this ol dog just yet...!

"Allowing people to practise is a blatant sign of one respecting the people that follow that religion."

Allowing people to practice is not a blatant sign of one respecting that religion. People are not showing respect to religion by allowing people to practice religion, they are showing respect to a persons right to do so and freedom

If an organisation formed this week whereby its followers in its millions chose to go onto their front lawns and eat grass like a cow whilst "Moooing" loudly... people would not necessarily respect this organisation and its actions, but they would respect that its their choice to collectively get together and eat the grass on their front lawns whilst "Mooooing"

Hang on, you are still not gettingb my distinction. Respect the people; I disagree with most Islamic concepts. I don't like nor respect the code myself. I respect another's right to believe it, though.
Original post by The Epicurean
I've not seen you put forward an argument why it is immoral. Please do enlighten us.

At the root "Allah said so".

Spoiler

90% of Muslims ain't real Muslims, bruv!

Honestly, though, these polls are telling and never encouraging, and the progressive apologists will pretend they don't exist.

Why is every Muslim majority nation (or even community) almost always a bad place for the rights of women, non-Muslims and homosexuals? Why is there so often extreme levels of political and social repression? Why so much religious violence, oppression, and terrorism? When Islam makes its presence known, you'd better not let it have any power - that much us obvious.

And then we voluntarily import this en masse into liberal, western societies that have moved on from the Middle Ages, and we get called racist for worrying about what's going to happen?
Reply 75
Original post by AhmedMA99
You are so obsessed with Islam. Sadly it wont go anywhere, hun. Keep burning your self.. Islam is here to stay.

In Saudi Arabia sure is there to stay
:colone:
There are also radical Christians out there who would be happy if homosexuals were murdered along with other minorities.

Where are these radical Christian groups? What are they called? Do any of them have thousands of members, large amounts of weapons and a global following?
The truth is, you have no idea what to follow. You can follow a blend of things; this is why denominations exist and Christians all have varying opinions. It's interpretation; that is yours. The same applies to Islam. You have proved my point now let it be.

You dictating someone's beliefs to them, nice.

Also, there is a number of different authorities which covers almost the entire population of all Christian denominations, they collectively share the idea that homosexuals should not be murdered. That these passages you quoted are contradicted by others which take precedent, it is completely dishonest to present the idea that Christians or Christianity calls for the persecution of homosexuals.

Even if we take the old testament and the people who follow that exclusively, the Jewish authorities find that these passages are rendered null and void when taken into context with other passages that call for tolerance.

To go further still, there is no Muslim country where you could live and be openly gay, they would kill you. To actually try and provide backhanded apologetic by bashing Christianity is telling of your backward political reasoning. You can only live in relative peace and say things like this because you are surrounded by and living in a Christian country.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
You dictating someone's beliefs to them, nice.

Also, there is a number of different authorities which covers almost the entire population of all Christian denominations, they collectively share the idea that homosexuals should not be murdered. That these passages you quoted are contradicted by others which take precedent, it is completely dishonest to present the idea that Christians or Christianity calls for the persecution of homosexuals.

Even if we take the old testament and the people who follow that exclusively, the Jewish authorities find that these passages are rendered null and void when taken into context with other passages that call for tolerance.

To go further still, there is no Muslim country where you could live and be openly gay, they would kill you. To actually try and provide backhanded apologetic by bashing Christianity is telling of your backward political reasoning. You can only live in relative peace and say things like this because you are surrounded by and living in a Christian country.

You have completely misinterpreted what I have said and there are majority-muslim states I could live in.
You have completely misinterpreted what I have said and there are majority-muslim states I could live in.

How have I misinterpreted what you said, weren't you contrasting Islam with Christianity, saying both call for the death of homosexuals ?

And which Muslim countries can you live in and be openly gay and free ?

Latest

Trending

Trending