The Student Room Group

WJEC C1 - May 18th 2016

Exams are approaching ever so quickly and I wonder how you guys are feeling about the upcoming C1 exam? Are you confident or are you dreading it? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Resitting this. Got a C last year in probably the hardest C1 paper there has been (although all seems much easier now :smile:). Have we got any suggestions what the 'dodgy' questions might be?
Half and half , okay with most questions just hoping it's not as hard as the 2015 paper ( I didn't do this one I just did it as revision). Wondering what will be the horrible questions
Reply 3
Original post by rebeccaslugocki
Half and half , okay with most questions just hoping it's not as hard as the 2015 paper ( I didn't do this one I just did it as revision). Wondering what will be the horrible questions

Yeah I did that paper last year and it was a reality check. You always have to assume the worst and think beyond the normal past paper questions of C1. My tip would be to use the Solomon worksheets (which are designed to stretch you) as they can give you a different variety of questions. If you do resit next year it will seem so much simpler.
Original post by jonb365
Yeah I did that paper last year and it was a reality check. You always have to assume the worst and think beyond the normal past paper questions of C1. My tip would be to use the Solomon worksheets (which are designed to stretch you) as they can give you a different variety of questions. If you do resit next year it will seem so much simpler.

Thanks for the tip , I'll definitely go and try that now !
I'd imagine that they would stick with the dodgy numberwork like they had last year. For instance on the surd question, it would take a while to find a common denominator without a proper method, which has not been necessary on previous papers.

I have a hunch that they will be sticking with optimisation (use of calculus and stationary points to find a maximum/minimum length). Increasingly, they seem to be stealing questions from AQA and Edexcel papers. Last year's sheep farmer question was virtually copied and pasted from an Edexcel paper.

Maybe a cylinder will be this year's choice. I'm not ruling it out. (of course you'd leave your answer in terms of pi)

Best of luck to all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PedanticStudent
I'd imagine that they would stick with the dodgy numberwork like they had last year. For instance on the surd question, it would take a while to find a common denominator without a proper method, which has not been necessary on previous papers.

I have a hunch that they will be sticking with optimisation (use of calculus and stationary points to find a maximum/minimum length). Increasingly, they seem to be stealing questions from AQA and Edexcel papers. Last year's sheep farmer question was virtually copied and pasted from an Edexcel paper.

Maybe a cylinder will be this year's choice. I'm not ruling it out. (of course you'd leave your answer in terms of pi)

Best of luck to all.

Take it you are assuming a cylinder for the optimisation question?

Resitting it now, I personally quite like optimisation questions but certainly when doing it in my first year I really wasn't keen. It certainly pushes AS's' understanding of maths and their application rather than the rinse and repeat stationary point style questions of before.
Original post by jonb365

Resitting it now, I personally quite like optimisation questions but certainly when doing it in my first year I really wasn't keen. It certainly pushes AS's' understanding of maths and their application rather than the rinse and repeat stationary point style questions of before.

Yeah optimisation isn't bad, when they dont give you large numbers that is.
They probably will stick with the optimisation like you say as the old style stationary points questions are an absolute embarrassment in terms of their difficulty, once you've done about three, you've done them all.

Not that it's a bad thing of course. :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jonb365

Best of luck with your resit too. I hope you get the mark you want this time around.

What sort of UMS are you after?
Reply 9
Best of luck with your resit too. I hope you get the mark you want this time around.

What sort of UMS are you after?

Well I need a B overall but was let down last year by a naive teacher who really prepared us all to get that D/C boarderline grade rather than B and above (he gave us the answers to our practice tests in advance and told us we were learning that way and he only showed us the standard questions ie. none of the optimisation and few part b binomials.

So I'm thinking modestly. Feeling a lot more prepared for my A2's than I was for my AS's last year I'm hoping a high B minimum for C1 and C2 (already have a high B in S1), a solid B in mechanics (AS module at A2 should be easier), giving me a little bit of maneuver for C3 and C4. Looking back at resist, I feel I can do virtually all of the papers without dropping barely any marks but I'll keep modest with a high B atm. Still got a little bit of work to do on C2 prep which is next Wednesday.
Hopefully it won't be too bad! However, my right eye is swelling up today, and it's quite painful, just worried that it might be worse tomorow
Today's the day ! D: good luck everyone !!:smile:
Good luck all 😆😘
I think it went really well! How about you guys?
Original post by FusionNetworks

I think it went really well too ! for some reason I couldn't work out M ?? but I think ill get method marks at least , other than that it was pretty easy :biggrin:

Do you remember what you got for M in question 1?

I feel like I've got 70+

I got 65 - root 13 for the surd, wbu?
I think it went quite well!
I had -7 for m

I think it went really well too ! for some reason I couldn't work out M ?? but I think ill get method marks at least , other than that it was pretty easy :biggrin:
I don't know how but I ended up with m=7. When I tried to work out y for the last question on stationary points I just came out with big numbers in the hundreds and they both ended up a maximum point so I buggered that one up!!
Do you remember what you got for M in question 1?

I feel like I've got 70+

I got 65 - root 13 for the surd, wbu?

I had 5 - root 13

it was 65 - something root 13 over 13

both terms were divisible by 13

BTW was it root 13? I thought it was root 14? I cant remember but either way I got 5 - root whatever.

M I had as -7

The min/max value was almost identical to a question from a few years ago so was really nice. I got 200m cubed as the answer (x=2)

The only question I struggled on was drawing the graph (part c) of the completing the square and simultaneous equations. My diagram looked like a mess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending