The Student Room Group

My ex girlfriend ruined me?

Alright so I dated my ex girlfriend from 2009-2013, she was terrible to me and made me believe that I would never be any good to any other girl, so now every girl I meet I think is another one of her and I'm not good enough and even they try with me to get close, I mess up and end up pushing them any, which I shouldn't of done with one girl in particular, from this year.

My ex girlfriend gets inside my head and the memory of her, is what I see in every other girl.
I wouldn't say she ruined you, more like she had a lasting effect on you. I'd say try it with another girl anyways and whatever happens, try not to push them away - act as if nothing happened before, with your ex.
Original post by Coolisbelieveing
Alright so I dated my ex girlfriend from 2009-2013, she was terrible to me and made me believe that I would never be any good to any other girl, so now every girl I meet I think is another one of her and I'm not good enough and even they try with me to get close, I mess up and end up pushing them any, which I shouldn't of done with one girl in particular, from this year.

My ex girlfriend gets inside my head and the memory of her, is what I see in every other girl.

So is your ex still involved in your life?
Go and see your GP to get some therapy/counseling.

hmm i see something here. do you still like or miss her or was she your type?
the only way you forget someone is if you remember someone new but that only works sometimes sorry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ex partners can do this. I'm still a bit damaged after my break-up.

Therapy/counselling is a good way to deal with this, and I highly recommend it.

Time and space. You'll be fine. Enforce no contact.
Psychologically wounded, traumatized.

I think you need good experiences to replace those bad ones. The more out of your comfort zone they are the better.
Well yes and no. Yes, she is a part of my families life, so I still have to hear about her and no, because we haven't spoke in a while, but we used to be so close, but thankfully that's over now.

Original post by Clockrice
So is your ex still involved in your life?
Well yes and no. Yes, she is a part of my families life, so I still have to hear about her and no, because we haven't spoke in a while, but we used to be so close, but thankfully that's over now.

I have you asked your family to get rid of her too? Or at least stop mentioning her?
Just wanting to add to this; everyone's experience is different. I've managed to go out on a few dates and successfully avoided comparing these new girls (and girls that I meet in general) to my ex. That said, I've returned home for the summer, and with everything back in place as it was before I left for uni (and around the time of my breakup), I find myself feeling low, feeling anxious/nauseous, shaking etc.

For you in particular, you will eventually come to terms with the fact that not every girl you date will have the characteristics you liked about your ex, but what you will eventually find is that they have different/much better characteristics that you like, perhaps even more so. Since there's a bit of her presence still in your life, it makes things a tad more complicated, but ultimately you will be able to look at new girls from a fresh perspective as opposed to a "from experience" way of thinking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending