The Student Room Group

History GCSE The Cold War A*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by gameofno
Ohhhh okay. Well dw as long as u re read a little before the exam I'm sure a top grade is possible

i really hope so, could you pls run thru the soviet expansion and hungarian uprising pleaseeee?!!
What did you get in your coursework?

46/50
Reply 22
Original post by 11lmizo
Can you please explain to me the Cuban Missile crisis and The Hungarian Revolution.

Thanks,

Much appreciated.

I'll do Hungary now and Cuba tomorrow:
Hungary under soviet rule:
In 1949, cominform imposed a regime on Hungary so they suffered a lot of hardship. Hungarian land was distributed to other countries in Eastern Europe, their oil and coal and wheat was taken by the ussr while they starved, and Hungary had a dictator: Matyas Rakosi. Under his regime, 387,000 people were imprisoned. So here u can see Hungary was suffering a lot.

In 1953, Stalin died. The new USSR leader, Khrushchev, gave a secret speech in 1956 promising an end to Stalinism in the soviet sphere of influence. This created hopes for people in Hungary but made nothing happen. Rakosi was forced out of power in 1956, but Hungary was still suffering.

On the 23rd of Oct, 1956, riots started in Budapest due to bad harvests and fuel and bread shortages. The riots spread throughout the country. To calm things down, Khrushchev made Imre Nagy prime minister and withdrew the soviet army from Hungary.

On 31 October 1956, Nagy introduced some reforms. These included: leaving the Warsaw Pact, holding free elections.
They also asked the UN to recognise them as a neutral country so if the USSR invaded, the UN would have to help.
Also, the USA encouraged Eastern European countries to get rid of their communist governments, so Hungary hoped the USA would support them. However, USA didn't provide military help because of the fear of going to nuclear war with the ussr.

Because of these reforms, the government split. Janos kadar, a USSR supporter, set up a rival government in Hungary.

Khrushchev was mad. If Hungary left the Warsaw Pact, so would other countries. On 4 November he sent in 200,000 soviet troops and 1,000 tanks to Hungary in support of kadars government.
About 2500 people died and 20000 were wounded. 20000 fled to the west.

Nagy was executed. He sought protection in the Yugoslavian embassy and the Yugoslavian embassador agreed with Khrushchev that Nagy was free to leave Hungary, but when Nagy left the embassy he was captured by soviet troops, accused of treason and found guilty. He was hanged in June 1958.

International reaction:
The US Offered $20 million worth of food and medical aid to Hungary, as well as accepting 80,000 refugees. President Eisenhower praised Hungarian bravery. The UN condemned the invasion.
Spain, Sweden and Netherlands boycotted the 1956 Olympics.

Reasserting soviet control:
After the invasion, Khrushchev appointed kadar as the new Hungarian leader. Kadar introduced a 15-point-programme, which included:
-reestablishing communist control of Hungary
-using Hungarian troops to stop attacks on soviet forces
-remaining in the Warsaw Pact
-negotiating the withdrawal of soviet troops once the crisis was over.

Hope this helped x I'll do Cuba later cause it's so long :frown:
Reply 23
Original post by mlkef
i really hope so, could you pls run thru the soviet expansion and hungarian uprising pleaseeee?!!

Hey, check on the page I just ran through the Hungarian uprising x
For soviet expansion do u want the reasons of why he expanded or do u want the countries? I didn't study all the countries e.g Romania Yugoslavia Bulgaria, because if they ask then you can choose any country such as Hungary and Czechoslovakia and East Germany, which are covered in detail in the book, but I can give you the reasons of why expansionism occurred?? If you want
Reply 24
Hey, check on the page I just ran through the Hungarian uprising x
For soviet expansion do u want the reasons of why he expanded or do u want the countries? I didn't study all the countries e.g Romania Yugoslavia Bulgaria, because if they ask then you can choose any country such as Hungary and Czechoslovakia and East Germany, which are covered in detail in the book, but I can give you the reasons of why expansionism occurred?? If you want

yess please!! ill check the uprising now
Reply 25
Original post by mlkef
yess please!! ill check the uprising now

Soviet expansionism in 1945- reasons:
1. Expansionism:
The USA, Britain and France believed the ussr's motives were political - he wanted to widen communism and the soviet empire.
2. Strategic importance of Poland:
Stalin wanted to remove the polish frontier and wanted a communist government in Poland.
3. Security:
In 1914 and 1941 the ussr faced huge invasions from the west and suffered very large casualties. If they expanded they have a buffer zone.
4. Memory of 1918-39:
Poland signed a non aggression pact with France, and in ww2 Hungary and Romania fought against the ussr. Stalin wanted to prevent this from happening again.
5. Percentages deal:
Stalin believed Churchill was accepting the influence of the ussr over Eastern Europe. This is because of the percentages deal they had, where they agreed to e.g. Share 50% each of Hungary.

In my notes I laid this out as a mind map xx
Reply 26
Soviet expansionism in 1945- reasons:
1. Expansionism:
The USA, Britain and France believed the ussr's motives were political - he wanted to widen communism and the soviet empire.
2. Strategic importance of Poland:
Stalin wanted to remove the polish frontier and wanted a communist government in Poland.
3. Security:
In 1914 and 1941 the ussr faced huge invasions from the west and suffered very large casualties. If they expanded they have a buffer zone.
4. Memory of 1918-39:
Poland signed a non aggression pact with France, and in ww2 Hungary and Romania fought against the ussr. Stalin wanted to prevent this from happening again.
5. Percentages deal:
Stalin believed Churchill was accepting the influence of the ussr over Eastern Europe. This is because of the percentages deal they had, where they agreed to e.g. Share 50% each of Hungary.

In my notes I laid this out as a mind map xx

thank you so muchhh!!!!!!!
How to revise:
I made flash cards with dates and events on them. Then I wrote about the actual event, causes and consequences. Many of the questions that come up are about that. I also did key features for things like the conferences as those are pretty common.
You should also practice questions under exam Time if you have a time management issue.

As for what to revise, literally everything can come up. If you won't do all of it then try to focus on the big events like the Berlin Wall, blockade, Hungarian crisis, soviet invasion of Afghanistan, etc.

Also make sure you know exam technique

cheers biss
I'll do Hungary now and Cuba tomorrow:
Hungary under soviet rule:
In 1949, cominform imposed a regime on Hungary so they suffered a lot of hardship. Hungarian land was distributed to other countries in Eastern Europe, their oil and coal and wheat was taken by the ussr while they starved, and Hungary had a dictator: Matyas Rakosi. Under his regime, 387,000 people were imprisoned. So here u can see Hungary was suffering a lot.

In 1953, Stalin died. The new USSR leader, Khrushchev, gave a secret speech in 1956 promising an end to Stalinism in the soviet sphere of influence. This created hopes for people in Hungary but made nothing happen. Rakosi was forced out of power in 1956, but Hungary was still suffering.

On the 23rd of Oct, 1956, riots started in Budapest due to bad harvests and fuel and bread shortages. The riots spread throughout the country. To calm things down, Khrushchev made Imre Nagy prime minister and withdrew the soviet army from Hungary.

On 31 October 1956, Nagy introduced some reforms. These included: leaving the Warsaw Pact, holding free elections.
They also asked the UN to recognise them as a neutral country so if the USSR invaded, the UN would have to help.
Also, the USA encouraged Eastern European countries to get rid of their communist governments, so Hungary hoped the USA would support them. However, USA didn't provide military help because of the fear of going to nuclear war with the ussr.

Because of these reforms, the government split. Janos kadar, a USSR supporter, set up a rival government in Hungary.

Khrushchev was mad. If Hungary left the Warsaw Pact, so would other countries. On 4 November he sent in 200,000 soviet troops and 1,000 tanks to Hungary in support of kadars government.
About 2500 people died and 20000 were wounded. 20000 fled to the west.

Nagy was executed. He sought protection in the Yugoslavian embassy and the Yugoslavian embassador agreed with Khrushchev that Nagy was free to leave Hungary, but when Nagy left the embassy he was captured by soviet troops, accused of treason and found guilty. He was hanged in June 1958.

International reaction:
The US Offered $20 million worth of food and medical aid to Hungary, as well as accepting 80,000 refugees. President Eisenhower praised Hungarian bravery. The UN condemned the invasion.
Spain, Sweden and Netherlands boycotted the 1956 Olympics.

Reasserting soviet control:
After the invasion, Khrushchev appointed kadar as the new Hungarian leader. Kadar introduced a 15-point-programme, which included:
-reestablishing communist control of Hungary
-using Hungarian troops to stop attacks on soviet forces
-remaining in the Warsaw Pact
-negotiating the withdrawal of soviet troops once the crisis was over.

Hope this helped x I'll do Cuba later cause it's so long :frown:

OMG!! This is a great explanation, thank you so much, really do appreciate it. thanks
Hi this thread is extremely helpful thanks so much. My Question- please may you go through the structure of question 3 the one where you have to compare the sources. Thank you!!!
hey
i was wondering if you have an easy way to remember all the dates, also how many markes are all the question and how long should i spend on each because timing is always an issue for me. Thanks
Original post by 2567523
hi guys I created this because I'm good at the cold war (got a 96% in my mock) so if anyone needs any help please feel free to ask anythinggggg
(I do edexcel)

What were the important outcomes/impacts of the Korean war??? that is the one crisis i can't do .... thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending