The Student Room Group

Scotland and the EU

I am leaning towards voting to leave the EU. The only major thing staying my decision is the possibility of Scotland leaving the union in the event of Brexit. I remember this possibility being raised early on but it seems to have been entirely ignored in recent interviews and debates.

I would like to know how probable this is.

nulli tertius
qfa

Observatory
qfa

Fullofsurprises
qfa

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fenice
I am leaning towards voting to leave the EU. The only major thing staying my decision is the possibility of Scotland leaving the union in the event of Brexit. I remember this possibility being raised early on but it seems to have been entirely ignored in recent interviews and debates.

I think less since the Scottish elections. If the SNP had done better, Nicola would have used a Brexit vote opportunistically to lobby for another referendum.

However, with SNP support past its peak and the Tories playing a more explicitly Unionist card than did Labour, it is a dangerous game.

Independence is inherently more risky for Scotland if there is Brexit, because then who is looking out for Edinburgh in any negotiations between London and Brussels/Paris/Berlin?

Frankly there is much more likelihood of a second Brexit referendum to overturn a vote to leave.
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
I think less since the Scottish elections. If the SNP had done better, Nicola would have used a Brexit vote opportunistically to lobby for another referendum.

However, with SNP support past its peak and the Tories playing a more explicitly Unionist card than did Labour, it is a dangerous game.

Independence is inherently more risky for Scotland if there is Brexit, because then who is looking out for Edinburgh in any negotiations between London and Brussels/Paris/Berlin?

Frankly there is much more likelihood of a second Brexit referendum to overturn a vote to leave.

Thanks - bit slow today however and I do not fully understand what you mean in paragraphs 2-4?
Original post by Fenice

The economic case for Scotland leaving has been destroyed by the collapse in the oil price.

In or out of the EU the Scottish economy is inextricably linked to the rest of the UK's.

The Nats may not like it, but it is a fact.

So if we vote for Brexit the Scots may whinge and moan but they won't leave.

They can't afford to.
Original post by Fenice
Thanks - bit slow today however and I do not fully understand what you mean in paragraphs 2-4?

Scottish politics is now a three-way fight with the 2014 referendum having let the Tories back into the argument after 30 years where there were an insufficient number of voters who identified with any Conservative message to create majorities in seats. The SNP are not yet a natural party of government in Scotland and if Sturgeon times an independence referendum wrongly, the net result could be a third party squeeze with the SNP as the third party.

To most Scots the fact that RUK and Scotland continued to be EU members meant that there was very little personal downside to being nationals and residents of a different country. The risks were economic ones. There was a revenue shortfall, Trident might go home, large business might go south and as a smaller economy it was exposed to greater risk. There was no suggestion that a Scot wouldn't be able to do anything post-independence that they could do pre-independence. That assurance goes if RUK leaves the EU. Scotland only gets what deal Scotland can negotiate with RUK at a time when RUK has bigger fish to fry negotiating the terms of its own departure from the EU.

Brexit requires legislation. There is currently no majority in the Commons for Brexit. Brexit has to depend on Parliamentarians respecting the Will of the People in circumstances where no party has pledged to do that in advance and where the SNP, Ulster parties and probably PC can say that the nations they represent voted against Brexit. No-one is being asked as to the terms of Brexit and it is clear that the Brexit camp is a coalition of people who want very different things and people who are expecting very different outcomes. Both MPs and the country at large are likely to divide over this and it is improbable that a parliamentary majority will be secured for the necessary legislation without putting the particular form of Brexit to the public in another referendum.
Reply 5
Scottish politics is now a three-way fight with the 2014 referendum having let the Tories back into the argument after 30 years where there were an insufficient number of voters who identified with any Conservative message to create majorities in seats. The SNP are not yet a natural party of government in Scotland and if Sturgeon times an independence referendum wrongly, the net result could be a third party squeeze with the SNP as the third party.

To most Scots the fact that RUK and Scotland continued to be EU members meant that there was very little personal downside to being nationals and residents of a different country. The risks were economic ones. There was a revenue shortfall, Trident might go home, large business might go south and as a smaller economy it was exposed to greater risk. There was no suggestion that a Scot wouldn't be able to do anything post-independence that they could do pre-independence. That assurance goes if RUK leaves the EU. Scotland only gets what deal Scotland can negotiate with RUK at a time when RUK has bigger fish to fry negotiating the terms of its own departure from the EU.

Brexit requires legislation. There is currently no majority in the Commons for Brexit. Brexit has to depend on Parliamentarians respecting the Will of the People in circumstances where no party has pledged to do that in advance and where the SNP, Ulster parties and probably PC can say that the nations they represent voted against Brexit. No-one is being asked as to the terms of Brexit and it is clear that the Brexit camp is a coalition of people who want very different things and people who are expecting very different outcomes. Both MPs and the country at large are likely to divide over this and it is improbable that a parliamentary majority will be secured for the necessary legislation without putting the particular form of Brexit to the public in another referendum.

Sorry to be a bore but I am still not understanding your meaning in paragraph 2

In your final paragraph are you suggesting that Parliament will not consent to leaving the EU without the confirmation of a second referendum vote to leave?
Original post by Fenice
Sorry to be a bore but I am still not understanding your meaning in paragraph 2

In your final paragraph are you suggesting that Parliament will not consent to leaving the EU without the confirmation of a second referendum vote to leave?

If Scotland left the UK whilst both RUK and Scotland were EU members (and it was odds on that Scotland would have been given a free pass to continued EU membership) there would be no issue about Scots (or vice versa-bearing in mind that persons from RUK living in Scotland could vote in the independence referendum) living or working in RUK, going to university, having investments, using health facilities, buying land, acquiring goods and services without import duties and probably (subject to a Schengen opt out) crossing the border. If a Brit can do it in France, then a Scot would be able to do it in England.

If RUK is not an EU member, but is merely a Commonwealth realm, whether Scotland gets a better deal for its people on each issue than Australia or Jamaica depends on what Scotland can negotiate. It doesn't all follow from a common European citizenship and for example Jamaicans do better on pensions than Australians but Australians do better on youth mobility. Effectively you can frighten lots of different groups of people in lots of different ways if there is no guarantee that the personal right they particularly value is protected.

On the other point, you cannot treat Parliament as an homogeneous whole. Will Ken Clarke vote for legislation to leave the EU if the UK votes Leave? What about if his constituency, Rushcliffe voted in favour of Remain? Would Hilary Benn vote for legislation to leave even if his constituency voted Leave? Would Nicola Sturgeon or Mark Durkan vote leave under any circumstances? Is there a Parliamentary majority for Brexit on the terms proposed, whatever they might be.

There are several pinch points. There are those who want intra-European trade to continue as before. There are those who want protectionism for their favoured industries be that fishing, milk, steel or whatever. There are those that want to de-regulate in an essentially capitalist direction. There are those who want to dismantle existing European protectionism in favour of world free trade. There are those who are seeking to protect the UK labour market. There are those seeking to restrict intra EU immigration. There are those who think this will reduce non-EU migration. There are those who are expecting middle-eastern asylum pressure to disappear. There are those who simply expect whatever aspect of the modern world they dislike, to vanish. These are competing objectives but by the time negotiations are complete, it will be clear which of these are closer to being delivered. Some of the adverse effects of Brexit will have kicked in but none of the benefits will have yet done so. Those who are wanting something else entirely are not going to be happy.

For example, many people who want lower EU and non-EU migration are also very keen on the NHS. This is often age related. Migrants place strains on the NHS, that is undoubtedly true, but primarily on services like maternity care which are vulnerable to being closed through alleged lack of demand. The immediate reaction to Brexit will not be a sudden relief of pressure on the NHS or an influx of Australian doctors at the expense of Czech ones. From the moment of passing of the Leave vote, there will be an NHS crisis as British trained hospital staff try and emigrate and foreign ones go elsewhere. Support from Brexit amongst those who didn't like the poorer shopping streets filling with Lithuanian grocers, will say "no told me, Brexit meant I can't see a doctor for 4 weeks".

Moreover in the same way that decimalisation was responsible for all the economic ills of the 1970s, every unpopular decision will be justified on the grounds of Brexit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fenice
I am leaning towards voting to leave the EU. The only major thing staying my decision is the possibility of Scotland leaving the union in the event of Brexit.

Let them go. Europe is stagnating and so is Scotland. Let them stagnate together.

Remember, to leave the Union Scotland would actually have to have a referendum. The SNP aren't the dictators of Scotland, they don't get to say, "Well, the UK has left Europe therefore Scotland leaves the UK".

The trend suggests SNP plateau and decline, I think it's ludicrous to suggest they would win the next referendum
Original post by Thutmose-III
Let them go. Europe is stagnating and so is Scotland. Let them stagnate together.

Remember, to leave the Union Scotland would actually have to have a referendum. The SNP aren't the dictators of Scotland, they don't get to say, "Well, the UK has left Europe therefore Scotland leaves the UK".

The trend suggests SNP plateau and decline, I think it's ludicrous to suggest they would win the next referendum

Which they would then lose anyway, so this issue doesn't even need to be thought about.

On the other point, you cannot treat Parliament as an homogeneous whole. Will Ken Clarke vote for legislation to leave the EU if the UK votes Leave? What about if his constituency, Rushcliffe voted in favour of Remain? Would Hilary Benn vote for legislation to leave even if his constituency voted Leave? Would Nicola Sturgeon or Mark Durkan vote leave under any circumstances? Is there a Parliamentary majority for Brexit on the terms proposed, whatever they might be.

This is a key point, the referendum (despite Cameron going on about how critical it is) doesn't and can't bind Parliament.

I think there's a good likelihood of a low turnout in it anyway, which means we will have a situation (say it went to Leave) where only a small minority of the country had voted Leave. That could easily be overruled by the House, Cameron would then say it could never be a basis for decision as too few people had voted. Or he could use an alliance of the Labour Party, the Scot Nats and pro-Remain Tory MPs to push through some new legislation demanding another vote with different language, or saying there would be a request for further modest (and unlikely to be accepted) reforms from the EU in response.

People also widely suspect that there is more than a whiff of farce to the current referendum and that increases the chances of a Leave majority, as people will use it to register what they will see as a protest vote.

I would put it more strongly than that. A vote for Brexit would cause constitutional chaos, and would necessitate a second referendum in short order.

The Greeks had several votes of various forms before getting its most recent bailout from the EU (and IMF) and Denmark had two referendums over Maastricht before getting enhanced terms.

Voting out is the only way to make the Eurocrats and power brokers give us a decent to deal reflect how much we pay in compared to get back in return.

They are petrified of a Brexit causing chaos (listen to them!) and an unravelling of the Union. We would then have the whip hand before a second referendum under much enhanced terms.

This is Boris' (much derided but actually compelling) two referendums strategy.

Vote to leave next month.

Vote out even if you want to remain in because you are afraid we couldn't survive on our own. (Actually we would me slightly less rich than we would have been but the remain propagandists never say that).

Because you will have a second chance. There will be a second referendum, depend on it.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
This is a key point, the referendum (despite Cameron going on about how critical it is) doesn't and can't bind Parliament.

I think there's a good likelihood of a low turnout in it anyway, which means we will have a situation (say it went to Leave) where only a small minority of the country had voted Leave. That could easily be overruled by the House, Cameron would then say it could never be a basis for decision as too few people had voted.

Utter nonsense and wishful thinking to boot.

If Cameron attempts to override a Brexit result, he will be toppled by his own party. There are many Remain-inclined MPs who would not be so dishonourable as to ignore the result of a public referendum, they will see they lost fair and square and vote accordingly.

The referendum is politically binding, everyone has made clear there will be no second referendum. Pro-Brexit Conservatives, Conservatives who don't want to be de-selected and pro-Brexit faction of the Labour Party will constitute majority in parliament.

The arrogant and delusional Remain MPs who attempt to fix remaining in the EU out of a Brexit result will be signing their political death warrants.
Original post by JezWeCan!
I would put it more strongly than that. A vote for Brexit would cause constitutional chaos, and would necessitate a second referendum in short order.

That is hysteria; there will be no chaos. No further referendum is necessary, that has been made clear by all sides.
Reply 13
If Scotland left the UK whilst both RUK and Scotland were EU members (and it was odds on that Scotland would have been given a free pass to continued EU membership) there would be no issue about Scots (or vice versa-bearing in mind that persons from RUK living in Scotland could vote in the independence referendum) living or working in RUK, going to university, having investments, using health facilities, buying land, acquiring goods and services without import duties and probably (subject to a Schengen opt out) crossing the border. If a Brit can do it in France, then a Scot would be able to do it in England.

To butt in: from what I heard, it was the opposite. I would have thought certain members of the EU (i.e. Spain and Belgium) would have done their utmost to bar Scotland from becoming its own independent member of the EU. What with them having similar political situations of their own with regards to Catalonia and Flanders etc. I would imagine they would have rallied to veto the membership; those were the predictions I heard being made, which made sense.
Utter nonsense and wishful thinking to boot.

If Cameron attempts to override a Brexit result, he will be toppled by his own party. There are many Remain-inclined MPs who would not be so dishonourable as to ignore the result of a public referendum, they will see they lost fair and square and vote accordingly.

The referendum is politically binding, everyone has made clear there will be no second referendum. Pro-Brexit Conservatives, Conservatives who don't want to be de-selected and pro-Brexit faction of the Labour Party will constitute majority in parliament.

The arrogant and delusional Remain MPs who attempt to fix remaining in the EU out of a Brexit result will be signing their political death warrants.

I think you may discover that the true political situation after a small majority for Leave is much less clear cut than you fondly imagine. :sad: For one thing, there is absolutely no chance that Cameron is suddenly going to walk away and leave everything to Boris. They hate each other.
I think you may discover that the true political situation after a small majority for Leave is much less clear cut than you fondly imagine.

Cameron had the opportunity to create minimum turnout or voting thresholds, he didn't. Everyone agrees that this referendum will decide the issue, and there is a majority in parliament to back the electorate's judgment.

For one thing, there is absolutely no chance that Cameron is suddenly going to walk away and leave everything to Boris. They hate each other.

Cameron isn't the dictator of Britain. He doesn't decide whether he stays or goes, he stays only so long as he has the confidence of the Conservative parliamentary party. If the country votes to Leave and he attempts to put the fix on, he'll be toppled by his own party. There are even pro-Remain MPs who would find that too obnoxious to bear

No Conservative MP will want to run the risk of almost certain de-selection that would follow an attempt to frustrate the clearly expressed, democratic will of the British people.
(edited 7 years ago)

No Conservative MP will want to run the risk of almost certain de-selection that would follow an attempt to frustrate the clearly expressed, democratic will of the British people.

My point is what if it's not clearly expressed, or can be arguably said to be not clearly expressed? Either way actually - I'm quite sure if it's 55:45 to Remain or something like that (as seems likely) that Farage, Gove, Boris and Duncan-Smirk will be back on the boil demanding another referendum about a week later.
My point is what if it's not clearly expressed, or can be arguably said to be not clearly expressed? Either way actually - I'm quite sure if it's 55:45 to Remain or something like that (as seems likely) that Farage, Gove, Boris and Duncan-Smirk will be back on the boil demanding another referendum about a week later.

55:45 is as clear as you can hope for in a democracy. Such a result is considered a substantial win in an American presidential election.

Yes, if the result is 50.00000000001 to 49.9999999999 then it might be arguable that it is not clear-cut and a conversation will ensue. But 55:45 is a clear result, whichever way it goes it must be respected. If the electorate votes to Remain, it will take the wind out of the sails of Farage et al and they will have to accept that, just as the Remain crowd will have to accept if it goes the other way.

Personally I think the turnout in favour of Brexit will surprise everyone. Brexit-inclined people are very passionate about this, they've been waiting for years. My prediction is a very clear result in favour of leaving
Scotland almost certainly wouldn't leave. You have to remember two things: first they're in a worse state fiscally than last time round; second that they aren't as europhilic as people make out making it a relatively minor issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Scitty
To butt in: from what I heard, it was the opposite. I would have thought certain members of the EU (i.e. Spain and Belgium) would have done their utmost to bar Scotland from becoming its own independent member of the EU. What with them having similar political situations of their own with regards to Catalonia and Flanders etc. I would imagine they would have rallied to veto the membership; those were the predictions I heard being made, which made sense.

I appreciate that this was, for obvious reasons, the line that was being advanced before the referendum vote. However, with the fait accompli of an independence vote, it is difficult to see that being sustained. There would have been a fudge; probably some political punishment for Scotland such as exclusion from the European Council for a period of years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending