The Student Room Group

Can I get an A* in English Lit?

OK so my English literature exams are in a weeks time and I'm really worried that I won't get a good grade. My coursework is really bad, a 22/40 which is something I've never had in English. My English teacher happens to be a really harsh marker; she brought most of my classes English Language CA grades down from A* to B/C's even though we're top set. But the worst thing is that she's made me feel like I can never get a good grade in English. I was going to take it for a-level until she came to the scene. Do you think I still have a chance of getting an A, minding my coursework grade?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MeerabBieber
OK so my English literature exams are in a weeks time and I'm really worried that I won't get a good grade. My coursework is really bad, a 22/40 which is something I've never had in English. My English teacher happens to be a really harsh marker; she brought most of my classes English Language CA grades down from A* to B/C's even though we're top set. But the worst thing is that she's made me feel like I can never get a good grade in English. I was going to take it for a-level until she came to the scene. Do you think I still have a chance of getting an A, minding my coursework grade?
Yes, if you do really well on the exam it is more than possible to get an A, depending on the UMS for your coursework it could be possible to get an A* but an A grade is more than possible :smile:
Reply 2
My teacher done the exact same thing🙄 My grade dropped from an a* to a B
Reply 3
Original post by dilan_o
My teacher done the exact same thing🙄 My grade dropped from an a* to a B

I dont know why they're being so harsh. Like we got this grade so why cant you just let it go? Do you like torturing kids?

I don't even know to be honest. Let's just hope for the best and pray that we get those grades.
Reply 4
Original post by PrinceProsperity
Yes, if you do really well on the exam it is more than possible to get an A, depending on the UMS for your coursework it could be possible to get an A* but an A grade is more than possible :smile:

Reallly? I hope so. Do yuo have any tips on getting an A/A* in English lit?
Your teacher isnt a harsh marker, stop making excuses. (coming from someone who got 39/40)
The reason why the teachers are being so harsh is because a sample of coursework (say 10 people per year) will be sent of to the exam board. They will then moderate the coursework and then decide whether it has been appropriately marked. I know with some exam boards like OCR they will drop an entire year group within a school a grade if the marking has been too generous or even bump every one up within the school if the marking has been to strict.
(edited 7 years ago)
V ugvg jhi that was completely uncalled for and honestly a tad pathetic. It is a forum and it is a discussion, its wrong of you too think you can just charge in here. And lets be honest the only reason you posted on this forum was to show off to the world about you mark which in all honestly could be made up. (coming from some one who got 40/40)

Also by the way which exam board are you guys taking?
Reallly? I hope so. Do yuo have any tips on getting an A/A* in English lit?

Be perceptive, use PEE etc. Really you should know the books and poems well.
Original post by V ugvg jhi
Your teacher isnt a harsh marker, stop making excuses. (coming from someone who got 39/40)

How do you know if you haven't seen the work? Stop making stupid comments.
(coming from someone who got 40/40)
Original post by TRAnders
V ugvg jhi that was completely uncalled for and honestly a tad pathetic. It is a forum and it is a discussion, its wrong of you too think you can just charge in here. And lets be honest the only reason you posted on this forum was to show off to the world about you mark which in all honestly could be made up. (coming from some one who got 40/40)

:five:

(and AQA even though this wasn't directed at me :biggrin:)
Original post by V ugvg jhi

I'm not making excuses. I clearly said that my teacher marked everyone down by atleast 2 grades. Not just me as an individual.
Original post by TRAnders

AQA. I'm doing Of Mice and Men and An Inspector calls for unit 1 and Conflict cluster for poetry. What about you?
Im doing these three on awa as well! Do you have any tips or ideas of what qs will be coming up?
This actually gives me hope.. I got something like 31/40 in my CAs, [our teacher is a harsh marker too] and I was worried I wouldn't even get an A. But I feel better now after reading everyone's responses :laugh:
Oh, and good luck OP!
AQA. I'm doing Of Mice and Men and An Inspector calls for unit 1 and Conflict cluster for poetry. What about you?

Im doing CIE IGCSE and studying all my sons, I'm the king of the castle and a collection of modern and classical poems :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by draculaura
This actually gives me hope.. I got something like 31/40 in my CAs, [our teacher is a harsh marker too] and I was worried I wouldn't even get an A. But I feel better now after reading everyone's responses :laugh:
Oh, and good luck OP!

I got that too!
I'm **** at english, so I was rather surprised at my grade.

Op would you like me to calculate what you would need based on last year's grade boundaries and stuff?
Original post by draculaura
Oh, and good luck OP!

Thanks! I'm reallly gonna need it. :smile::u:
Original post by Bulletzone
I got that too!
I'm **** at english, so I was rather surprised at my grade.

Op would you like me to calculate what you would need based on last year's grade boundaries and stuff?

Yeah that would be nice!:colondollar:
Yeah that would be nice!:colondollar:

What Exam board are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending