The Student Room Group

C1 Maths extra practise

Hi, im resitting C1 this year and aiming for at least 95%
ive finished ALL past papers from edexcel and ALL solomon papers
coming close to the exam does anyone have any good resources to revise c1 from?
ive tried MADASMATHS papers and some of the questions being asked are ridiculously weird

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imran_
Hi, im resitting C1 this year and aiming for at least 95%
ive finished ALL past papers from edexcel and ALL solomon papers
coming close to the exam does anyone have any good resources to revise c1 from?
ive tried MADASMATHS papers and some of the questions being asked are ridiculously weird

Here is a question for you to try :h:

A sequence of numbers a0,a1,a2,... a_0, a_1, a_2, ... is given by an+1=2an+64n a_{n+1} = 2a_{n} + 6 - 4n.

Given that a2=6a_2 = 6, find a1a_1 and a3a_3.

Hence find the value of i=110ai\sum_{i=1}^{10} a_{i}.

Hence, or otherwise, find the value of i=010ai\sum_{i=0}^{10} a_{i}.
try http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/ they have a lot of past papers from different exam boards that you could maybe try. Also http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/syllabuses/Edexcel/period-1/C1/module.php has some 'beastie' questions which he says are designed to test everything you know from one topic
Reply 3
Have you considered other exam boards? I do MEI and we often use a lot of edexcel. Have you done practice/sample papers?
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Here is a question for you to try :h:

A sequence of numbers a0,a1,a2,... a_0, a_1, a_2, ... is given by an+1=2an+64n a_{n+1} = 2a_{n} + 6 - 4n.

Given that a2=6a_2 = 6, find a1a_1 and a3a_3.

Hence find the value of i=110ai\sum_{i=1}^{10} a_{i}.

Hence, or otherwise, find the value of i=010ai\sum_{i=0}^{10} a_{i}.

a1=2
a3=10
sigma question =85

having trouble with that last sigma question
i was considering making n=-1 but I feel as if this is a wrong approach
Original post by imran_
a1=2
a3=10
sigma question =85

having trouble with that last sigma question
i was considering making n=-1 but I feel as if this is a wrong approach

a1 and a3 are correct. The first sigma question - how did you do it?

There is a link between the first and second sigma questions (the 'hence or otherwise' gives it away in exams :tongue:) - what is the difference between the two sums? (Not numerically, but by looking at the notation)
so the answer would be + a0? (giving as its actual answer)
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
a1 and a3 are correct. The first sigma question - how did you do it?

There is a link between the first and second sigma questions (the 'hence or otherwise' gives it away in exams :tongue:) - what is the difference between the two sums? (Not numerically, but by looking at the notation)

oppps sorry I just checked my answer again, the sigma one is 200
since the terms go up in 4
(2,6,10)
I made N=10
A=6
D=4

10/2(4+(9)(4)0
= 200
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by imran_
oppps sorry I just checked my answer again, the sigma one is 200
since the terms go up in 4
(2,6,10)
I made N=10
A=6
D=4

10/2(4+(9)(4)0
= 200

Yes, 200 is correct :h: can you see the link between the two sigma questions? (The difference is that i=1 in one, and i=0 in the other, but what does this mean?) If you're stuck, see the hint below.

But anyway, I am not sure what else you can do apart from the edexcel past papers, solomon and madasmaths :redface: if you're still not getting 95%, have a think about what you find difficult in exams and base your revision on that.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, 200 is correct :h: can you see the link between the two sigma questions? (The difference is that i=1 in one, and i=0 in the other, but what does this mean?) If you're stuck, see the hint below.

But anyway, I am not sure what else you can do apart from the edexcel past papers, solomon and madasmaths :redface: if you're still not getting 95%, have a think about what you find difficult in exams and base your revision on that.

Spoiler

knowing myself i would get that wrong in the exam, every time we've done a mock in class i've bottled it. I can do classwork questions all fine and dandy but then when it comes to a simple rationalising surds question i mess up :frown: not a clue why
Original post by not_lucas1
knowing myself i would get that wrong in the exam, every time we've done a mock in class i've bottled it. I can do classwork questions all fine and dandy but then when it comes to a simple rationalising surds question i mess up :frown: not a clue why

With mocks/exams there is added pressure, so don't be too hard on yourself :redface: and surds can be quite icky. It helps to look at the question, write out exactly how you're going to rationalise it, be careful with calculations and there you go.

I'll try and write up an interesting surd question in a bit :tongue:
Has anyone got access to the C1 mymaths? Is it worth using? My school's password doesn't seem to be working, should I even bother?
can you provide me with all the c1 equations i need to know or a link to them that don't come up on the equation sheet?
can you provide me with all the c1 equations i need to know or a link to them that don't come up on the equation sheet?

The big one is the quadratic formula, IIRC there aren't many others you need that don't aren't given to you.

EDIT: Also all the standard geometric ones (pi*r^2 etc.).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by SeanFM
I'll try and write up an interesting surd question in a bit :tongue:

On the mean side, but whatever - show that:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\frac{\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2} - 1}{\sqrt{3} - \sqrt{6} + 1} = 2 + a\sqrt{2} + b\sqrt{3} + c\sqrt{6}\end{equation*}

where a,b,ca,b,c are integers to be determined.
Reply 15

c1 will test gcse knowledge too
so remember area of triangles, cubes etc
Reply 16
Original post by EndOfTheTour
The big one is the quadratic formula, IIRC there aren't many others you need that don't aren't given to you.

EDIT: Also all the standard geometric ones (pi*r^2 etc.).

C1: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3749463&page=16&p=64709099#post64709099
C2: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3749463&page=17&p=64750121#post64750121
Original post by Zacken

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\frac{\sqrt{3} + \sqrt{2} - 1}{\sqrt{3} - \sqrt{6} + 1} = 2 + a\sqrt{2} + b\sqrt{3} + c\sqrt{6}\end{equation*}

Oof.
Reply 18
Original post by Zacken

this question is taking me too long smh
Reply 19
Original post by imran_
this question is taking me too long smh

I posted it 7 minutes ago...

Quick Reply

Latest