The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP URGENT - DRAMA GCSE - Hard to Swallow

We're doing 'Hard to Swallow' in Drama for our GCSE, and we're performing it and then writing about it. I'm realllllllly desperate for an A* and feel like I need to relax more when performing. So if anyone has done this or someone just has tips on how to be more confident and achieve A*s in Drama PLEASEEE help,because it will be really appreciated
Drink sips of water before you go performing.

Be confident, if you have lighting - it should block out seeing the audience, so it should make you calmer. Feel like you're performing on TV because your famous!
Reply 2
Original post by sulaimanali
Drink sips of water before you go performing.

Be confident, if you have lighting - it should block out seeing the audience, so it should make you calmer. Feel like you're performing on TV because your famous!

Thank you, I really like the TV one :smile: Have you done Drama GCSE?
I've recently just finished my GCSE drama unit 3 exam. i was so nervous. All I did was use all those nerves in my performance. And if anything goes wrong like forgetting lines, just improvise, or ask one of your members of group to help improvise with you. Good luck xx
Reply 4
Original post by Michelle Ribeiro
I've recently just finished my GCSE drama unit 3 exam. i was so nervous. All I did was use all those nerves in my performance. And if anything goes wrong like forgetting lines, just improvise, or ask one of your members of group to help improvise with you. Good luck xx

If you've done the 'Hard to Swallow' play, could you please walk me through it, because I don't actually know what we're meant to be doing. I think the whole workshop is meant to be filmed and my teacher told me to be seen at all times and centre of attention, but I don't know..
Original post by 123_123
If you've done the 'Hard to Swallow' play, could you please walk me through it, because I don't actually know what we're meant to be doing. I think the whole workshop is meant to be filmed and my teacher told me to be seen at all times and centre of attention, but I don't know..

Erm I did it in for unit 2. We had to work in many groups and freeze frame and come up with a word of the character. Then we had to do narration of a scene using stuff from the script. And then we had to act out all the girls actions leading up to her death. And we had a talk show. I think that's it.
Reply 6
Erm I did it in for unit 2. We had to work in many groups and freeze frame and come up with a word of the character. Then we had to do narration of a scene using stuff from the script. And then we had to act out all the girls actions leading up to her death. And we had a talk show. I think that's it.

Okay, thank you so much for your help :smile:
Reply 7

Sorry for disturbing, but I was just wondering, is it easy to get a high mark/grade on it?
Original post by 123_123
Thank you, I really like the TV one :smile: Have you done Drama GCSE?

Yup...AQA Drama. Loved it! My fav subject...
Original post by 123_123
Okay, thank you so much for your help :smile:

No problem and good luck and wish you the best xx
Original post by 123_123
Sorry for disturbing, but I was just wondering, is it easy to get a high mark/grade on it?

I have no idea what grade I've got for it. Let's just say it was fun but I reckon it is easier just to get atleast an A. Are you in year 10 or 11?
give it your everything, dont worry about peoples thoughts, exaggerate where needed, scream where you should. really get a feel for what life is like as an anorexic (if youre playing the anorexic character) dont be you in other words, be the character
Reply 12
Original post by sfaraj
give it your everything, dont worry about peoples thoughts, exaggerate where needed, scream where you should. really get a feel for what life is like as an anorexic (if youre playing the anorexic character) dont be you in other words, be the character

Thank you to everyone who replied. I think I know more about it now: it's the Unit 2, which is 30% of the final grade, and we're going to be doing a workshop and we're assessed on how well we work with others, but my teacher said that like one person from the previous year got an A* - so it isn't 'impossible', but that sounds like it is..I don't know how to get a high grade?
If you're 16, go to Superdrug and pick up a pack of their 'Be Calm' pills. I usually pop one ~30 minutes before an exam and it helps a lot with nerves. Good luck!
Original post by 123_123
We're doing 'Hard to Swallow' in Drama for our GCSE, and we're performing it and then writing about it. I'm realllllllly desperate for an A* and feel like I need to relax more when performing. So if anyone has done this or someone just has tips on how to be more confident and achieve A*s in Drama PLEASEEE help,because it will be really appreciated

for me I like to imagen I'm in my bedroom performing in my mirror
also if you have bright lighting you wont be able to see the audience as much.
this may not help everybody bur it helps me. I have my actual performance Wednesday
sorry I just realised that was posted 3 years ago

Quick Reply

Latest