The Student Room Group

AQA English Literature: LITB1 - Friday 20th May 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by tagliatilly
i'm planning on doing the ancient mariner for section A and gatsby, kite runner and keats for section B.... any ideas of what questions might come up for the ancient mariner in section A??

I'm afraid I don't do that text so I haven't a clue. I can look at the papers and work out some suggestions for you if you would like that? Do you mean the Little a of Section A or the Little b?
Any ideas for Gatsby/Frost in Section A?
Reply 22
Original post by LillyBethx
Any ideas for Gatsby/Frost in Section A?

It's most likely for Chapter 6 to be up for Gatsby :smile:.
Original post by ivybridge
For those who find it helpful:

SECTION A:

Little a). 'How does ... tell the story in ....?' - AO1 and AO2 assessed only.

Little b). AO1, AO3 and AO4 assessed only.

SECTION B:

Assessment objectives AO1, AO2 and AO3 assessed here. Write a brief introduction, maybe a conclusive sentence, and write it text by text. Do not juggle and compare. Furthermore, it is recommended that you do two paragraphs on each text. If you do a poetry anthology (which you will) in Section B, you must write about at least two poems. Your choice of poems is essential.

Most of the time, the question relates to an aspect of narrative - try and decipher which aspect it is relating to when you begin the reading the questions and just jot it down next to it. For example:

'Write about the ways in which writers use key events in their narratives.'

This is evidently a question about Time and Sequence.

THE ASPECTS OF NARRATIVE:

Place/Setting
Time/Sequence
Character
Voices (Narrative Voice, usually)
Point of View
Destination

Is it two poems for Section A a) ??
Reply 24
Is it two poems for Section A a) ??

I think you are advised to do two for the Little B of Section A. Sometimes they outline two themselves.
I think you are advised to do two for the Little B of Section A. Sometimes they outline two themselves.

Thanks! I know sometimes they specifically ask about a poem (EG Auden's Victor) but I wanted to check <3
Reply 26
Thanks! I know sometimes they specifically ask about a poem (EG Auden's Victor) but I wanted to check <3

It's okay; how comes you are taking it this year? :smile:
It's okay; how comes you are taking it this year? :smile:

I did awfully last year, got an E but I need an A for the uni i want!! Wby?
Reply 28
I did awfully last year, got an E but I need an A for the uni i want!! Wby?

I was pretty sick last year and struggled so I want to resit and pull my UMS up. Still did well last year but not well enough for me.
I'm afraid I don't do that text so I haven't a clue. I can look at the papers and work out some suggestions for you if you would like that? Do you mean the Little a of Section A or the Little b?

that's so sweet of you to offer! i've looked up past papers myself but they only go back to 2013 so it isn't that helpful... i don't know if there's any way of finding the questions from before 2013?? i meant the little a of section A!
Reply 30
that's so sweet of you to offer! i've looked up past papers myself but they only go back to 2013 so it isn't that helpful... i don't know if there's any way of finding the questions from before 2013?? i meant the little a of section A!

I will take a look for you. The latests I'll get back to you is tomorrow/this evening. Keep working hard :smile:
Reply 31

I've done it! I’ve checked through all of the past papers as far back as January 2011. However, I couldn’t get January for any papers past 2012 (so 2013+). That could be because there wasn’t one that year, I’m not sure. Either way, the results are:

Jan 2011 - Part V (5)
May 2011 - Part VI (6)
Jan 2012 - Part III (3)
May 2012 - Part IV (4)
May 2013 - Part II (2)
May 2014 - Part I (1)
May 2015 - Part IV (4)

As you can see, Part IV has been up twice. I would say this makes it likely that this will not come up again. My suggestion is that Part VII (7) will come up! It is best that you review them all, though.

I hope that this helps you :smile:.
Reply 32
hopefully good old chapter 6 comes up for Gatsby !!
Reply 33
Original post by sghad
hopefully good old chapter 6 comes up for Gatsby !!

I'm pretty sure it will. What are your other texts? :smile:
I've done it! I’ve checked through all of the past papers as far back as January 2011. However, I couldn’t get January for any papers past 2012 (so 2013+). That could be because there wasn’t one that year, I’m not sure. Either way, the results are:

Jan 2011 - Part V (5)
May 2011 - Part VI (6)
Jan 2012 - Part III (3)
May 2012 - Part IV (4)
May 2013 - Part II (2)
May 2014 - Part I (1)
May 2015 - Part IV (4)

As you can see, Part IV has been up twice. I would say this makes it likely that this will not come up again. My suggestion is that Part VII (7) will come up! It is best that you review them all, though.

I hope that this helps you :smile:.

Thank you so much!!! I managed to find the one from January 2013 (which was part 7) but I'm pretty sure they only did the exams in May after 2013 because I can't find any January ones anywhere. So now I'm assuming part 5, 6 or 3 will come up, looking at this:

Jan 2011 - Part 5
May 2011 - Part 6
Jan 2012 - Part 3
May 2012 - Part 4
Jan 2013 Part 7
May 2013 - Part 2
May 2014 - Part 1
May 2015 - Part 4

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply 35
Thank you so much!!! I managed to find the one from January 2013 (which was part 7) but I'm pretty sure they only did the exams in May after 2013 because I can't find any January ones anywhere. So now I'm assuming part 5, 6 or 3 will come up, looking at this:

Jan 2011 - Part 5
May 2011 - Part 6
Jan 2012 - Part 3
May 2012 - Part 4
Jan 2013 Part 7
May 2013 - Part 2
May 2014 - Part 1
May 2015 - Part 4

Thanks so much for your help!

Hello,

No problem. Sorry thay I couldn't find it. I think that means you have no way of really telling to be honest. I would say 7 is still likely. I think it's best to just nail them all really. What other texts could you do in Section A?
Hello,

No problem. Sorry thay I couldn't find it. I think that means you have no way of really telling to be honest. I would say 7 is still likely. I think it's best to just nail them all really. What other texts could you do in Section A?

Yeah I'm really trying to revise all the parts properly, even if I don't expect them to come up! I could do Gatsby/Keats/Kite Runner instead, but I feel a lot more confident doing the Ancient Mariner for section A... I definitely find it easier to talk about narrative techniques in poetry than in novels. Unless the section A questions for the Ancient Mariner are REALLY awful I'm certain I'll do them.
Reply 37
Yeah I'm really trying to revise all the parts properly, even if I don't expect them to come up! I could do Gatsby/Keats/Kite Runner instead, but I feel a lot more confident doing the Ancient Mariner for section A... I definitely find it easier to talk about narrative techniques in poetry than in novels. Unless the section A questions for the Ancient Mariner are REALLY awful I'm certain I'll do them.

I would say prepare Chapter 6 for Gatsby and try a Keats poem you think is most likely to come up. Just to cover your backside. I've prepared Chapter's 6 and 24 for Gatsby and Enduring Love respectively as well as all poems for Browning and The Lady of Shalott and Godiva for Tennyson.
I would say prepare Chapter 6 for Gatsby and try a Keats poem you think is most likely to come up. Just to cover your backside. I've prepared Chapter's 6 and 24 for Gatsby and Enduring Love respectively as well as all poems for Browning and The Lady of Shalott and Godiva for Tennyson.

That's probably a good idea but I feel like if I prepare for too much I'll overload my brain and it'll just stress me out even more..... I'd rather prepare really well for just the Ancient Mariner than prepare not so well for everything, y'know? I suppose I should prepare at least a little for the other texts though, just in case I really don't like the section A Ancient Mariner questions!!
Reply 39
That's probably a good idea but I feel like if I prepare for too much I'll overload my brain and it'll just stress me out even more..... I'd rather prepare really well for just the Ancient Mariner than prepare not so well for everything, y'know? I suppose I should prepare at least a little for the other texts though, just in case I really don't like the section A Ancient Mariner questions!!

Fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest