The Student Room Group

University strike could threaten exams - Are academics right to strike?

Poll

Are uni academics right to strike over wages?

Just seen this article on the BBC website and Daily Mail.

BBC Article
Daily Mail Article

Do you think they're doing the right thing in striking? Do you think the strike will have an impact on you and your exams?

"University lecturers have announced a two-day strike at UK universities this month, threatening to disrupt exams.

The walkout on 25 and 26 May is part of a pay dispute - with the University and College Union rejecting an offer of 1.1%.

Lecturers have also warned of escalating the dispute to disrupt the allocation of places after A-level exam results in the summer.

The walk-out will involve academics, such as lecturers and researchers, but would also include university employees such as librarians."

dailymail.JPG
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They always have the right to go on strike. The rest of the world has the right not to give a damn. This happened before a few years ago. A few degrees were issued late, some offers to A-level students were postponed, but in the grand scheme of things, nobody really cared.

Life goes on. I doubt this time will be any different.
They get paid the same amount as Secondary School head of departments...
I thought that uni staff were on pretty good pay. I guess it's all relative.

Course fees have pretty much tripled since ten years ago. I am suspicious that this is unwarranted so it would be interesting to learn more about the imbalances in the system, particularly in terms of how it's one that many users on this website are part of.
Yes they have the right to strike. The bit you bolded needs to be seen in context. The threatening exams, is the potential incidental impact and not a direct threat by the strikers. the papers will already have been set and lecturers arent required to invigilate. They have been told in advance, so I wouldnt expect anyone to be affected or even notice.
Original post by ckfeister
They get paid the same amount as Secondary School head of departments...

That's pretty disgraceful that my genius math professor is getting paid comparably to some garbage high school media studies teacher. SMH.
This happened to me when I was doing my finals. There was a lot of worry that we wouldn't receive our final grades until late but in the end it was fine and we still graduated on time.

A 1% increase in pay is pretty poor and will have no real affect on their monthly take-home, I can see why they're fed up.
Original post by She-Ra
This happened to me when I was doing my finals. There was a lot of worry that we wouldn't receive our final grades until late but in the end it was fine and we still graduated on time.

A 1% increase in pay is pretty poor and will have no real affect on their monthly take-home, I can see why they're fed up.

I bet the Vice Chancellor isn't getting 1%.
[...] university staff had faced a long-term wage stagnation, with pay falling by 14.5% in real terms over the past six years.

Nuff said. Good luck to the UCU and their members.
Everyone should have the right to strike, the university should issue a notice that there will be delays in offers because of the strike. I wholeheartedly condemn any university that will seek to hire temporary staff to cover the strike, good luck to those on strike.
Property is theft!

:bl:
time to end this captialist bull and implement the superstructure
Reply 12
Well sure, but I do have an exam on the 25th...they could have done it some other time smh
The great thing is they're doing it almost when it has the least impact
Reply 14
Original post by MarleyZ
Just seen this article on the BBC website. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36248790

Do you think they're doing the right thing in striking? Do you think the strike will have an impact on you and your exams?

"University lecturers have announced a two-day strike at UK universities this month, threatening to disrupt exams.

The walkout on 25 and 26 May is part of a pay dispute - with the University and College Union rejecting an offer of 1.1%.

Lecturers have also warned of escalating the dispute to disrupt the allocation of places after A-level exam results in the summer.

The walk-out will involve academics, such as lecturers and researchers, but would also include university employees such as librarians."

I wonder how many actually care about what they are on strike for. The 'picket line', if you could even call it that, near me consisted of two lecturers when this happened last time.
If they wanted to get paid more they should have chosen a different profession.
Reply 16
Just seen that as well as the strike, protests are planned around the UK in Belfast, Birmingham, Brighton, Cambridge, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tyreke
I wonder how many actually care about what they are on strike for. The 'picket line', if you could even call it that, near me consisted of two lecturers when this happened last time.

Too many have adopted the "someone else will do it" approach.
Original post by Trapz99
If they wanted to get paid more they should have chosen a different profession.

And yet, Chancellors award themselves a 6% pay rise while offering lecturers 1%.....brilliant.
Original post by That Bearded Man
And yet, Chancellors award themselves a 6% pay rise while offering lecturers 1%.....brilliant.

What's bad about it? Also, isn't there only one Chancellor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending