The Student Room Group

Family verse Relationship

I'm nearly 21 and in a relationship but since I have been in it my family have been getting more opinionated about it, saying that I am too young and that at my age, I shouldn't be in one during uni and that I shouldn't take it so seriously and because I started uni a year later than everyone else, I should focus more.
The problem is, I am happy in my relationship, yes it is deeper than that but, I don't understand why I am having this. All relationships go through ups and downs and I so happened to ask about it with my family..

I don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

youre 21:tongue: so you can choose your own path, as long as youre getting decent grades thats ok, but you can see their worry if your marks are not reflecting what you could be getting:smile:
If they're responding to you telling them that you're going through a tricky phase, then possibly, they believe that they are being supportive.

You're at the age when you need to be selective about what you share, as otherwise you're left dealing with the original relationship issue AND your family member's response to it.
Reply 3
Original post by DrSocSciences
If they're responding to you telling them that you're going through a tricky phase, then possibly, they believe that they are being supportive.

You're at the age when you need to be selective about what you share, as otherwise you're left dealing with the original relationship issue AND your family member's response to it.

so, it's more about share less and work things out on my own? I know they're being supportive but all I've been given is negativity and as if it's all my fault and I'm not serious.
Reply 4
Original post by ForestShadow
youre 21:tongue: so you can choose your own path, as long as youre getting decent grades thats ok, but you can see their worry if your marks are not reflecting what you could be getting:smile:

Yeah, I hope they do. And thank you
You're 21 you can do what you want.
Reply 6
Original post by newttella
You're 21 you can do what you want.

I know, but they don't understand that. :|
They probably can't accept that you're growing up.
Original post by Anonymous
I know, but they don't understand that. :|

Well, I think that's really silly. I feel sorry for you. :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Tiger Rag
They probably can't accept that you're growing up.

Yeah, it sucks. And they are just treating me like a china vase. Like I have no idea what I am doing ..
Original post by newttella
Well, I think that's really silly. I feel sorry for you. :tongue:

Tell me about it...
Tell me about it...

Sounds to me like they cannot accept you are grown up now.
Original post by Rock Fan
Sounds to me like they cannot accept you are grown up now.

Mhm, sucks when they try and control your happiness.. all I asked from them was advice.. oh well.
Mhm, sucks when they try and control your happiness.. all I asked from them was advice.. oh well.

Only thing you can do is don't let it affect your relationship, obviously it becomes a real problem though if they try and stop you seeing your boyfriend.
Only thing you can do is don't let it affect your relationship, obviously it becomes a real problem though if they try and stop you seeing your boyfriend.

Yeah, I will try. But, their underlining tone is for me to leave him and focus on myself and that i'm trapping him because I love too deeply :/
Yeah, I will try. But, their underlining tone is for me to leave him and focus on myself and that i'm trapping him because I love too deeply :/

Ignore it I know it may put a wedge between you and your family but your happiness is important.
Ignore it I know it may put a wedge between you and your family but your happiness is important.

hm :/ I'll try. they already think I'm distant already
hm :/ I'll try. they already think I'm distant already

I know trouble is if I was ever in that situation I would rebel more etc
I know trouble is if I was ever in that situation I would rebel more etc

yeah :/ , trying not to do that but just close my ears instead
so, it's more about share less and work things out on my own? I know they're being supportive but all I've been given is negativity and as if it's all my fault and I'm not serious.

Possibly, give it a try, see how it works for you. When my husband was unfaithful to me, I told my siblings but not my parents, as I had enough to deal with already, without having to listen to them saying "I told you so."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending