The Student Room Group

Marvel vs DC

Scroll to see replies

The Dark Knight was an amazing film.
Original post by The.Joker
The Dark Knight was an amazing film.

True. Christian Bale was a really good batman and heath Ledger's performance as the Joker was superb.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
True. Christian Bale was a really good batman and heath Ledger's performance as the Joker was superb.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heath Ledger was perfection, he played The Joker perfectly. :love:

I hope Suicide Squad is good this summer- I love all these superhero films. Nothing like a bit of friendly competition between DC and Marvel.
Original post by The.Joker
Heath Ledger was perfection, he played The Joker perfectly. :love:

I hope Suicide Squad is good this summer- I love all these superhero films. Nothing like a bit of friendly competition between DC and Marvel.

I can't stand Will Smith

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
IMO Marvel has a few standout movies, but I prefer DC. The Batman movies were just awesome and I really liked BvS. Thought it was much better than Civil War.

I just never get the same sense of attachment to the villains in the Marvel movies, and I think a hero can only be as good as the villain he has to fight.
Original post by Dheorl
IMO Marvel has a few standout movies, but I prefer DC. The Batman movies were just awesome and I really liked BvS. Thought it was much better than Civil War.

I just never get the same sense of attachment to the villains in the Marvel movies, and I think a hero can only be as good as the villain he has to fight.

Serious question - why?

It was a dreadful film - superman was his typical whiny self, they completely miused wonder woman by just shoehorning her in, lex isn't supposed to just be a quirky genius, and the resolution to the titular fight was pathetic - stopping and being friends because their mums had the same name? That's how primary school children choose their friends.
I agree on the Marvel villains - ronan the accuser in particular, he's a great character in the comics and would have been great to work with like loki rather than use him for generic bad boss #72, but BvS was possibly the worst film I've ever seen. Even Ang Lees hulk had the slight redemption of being too stupid to take seriously, BvS is just a beige set of serious faces with naff plot resolution

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Serious question - why?

It was a dreadful film - superman was his typical whiny self, they completely miused wonder woman by just shoehorning her in, lex isn't supposed to just be a quirky genius, and the resolution to the titular fight was pathetic - stopping and being friends because their mums had the same name? That's how primary school children choose their friends.
I agree on the Marvel villains - ronan the accuser in particular, he's a great character in the comics and would have been great to work with like loki rather than use him for generic bad boss #72, but BvS was possibly the worst film I've ever seen. Even Ang Lees hulk had the slight redemption of being too stupid to take seriously, BvS is just a beige set of serious faces with naff plot resolution

I personally didn't find superman to whiney, and I saw him more as a concept in the movie rather than a character. I don't feel wonder woman was shoehorned in either. I think she's possibly the most recognisable of the justice league and a good choice to link into the upcoming movies with. And no, Lex isn't just a quirky genius, but seeing as this is the first time he's really faced off against superman I can only assume they'll be more to come and this is something of an origin story for him.

The resolution to the fight of BvS was possibly a bit odd, but it was because he saw the human side of superman and could relate, not just "because their mums had the same name".

Marvel villains in general are just god awful. Whiplash/Hammer, Ronan, Killian. I even find Loki to be just an annoying child like character. Sure, he creates some interesting plot twists, but just not for me at all, although he might redeem himself in Ragnorak. The only main villains in the entire cinematic universe to date that I found particularly engaging were Ultron and Malekith. Redskull wasn't too bad.

I realised I replied without really answering your question. I liked it because I liked the nod to the origin stories, how the characters were portrayed, the iconagraphy, the hints at what's to come were very smart (without having to do some stupid post credits scene). I feel the inclusion of wonder woman was actually bought in in a fairly tactful way, the cinematography was good. One or two scenes it could have done without, like Bruce's training montage, but all in all a solid movie IMO.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl
I personally didn't find superman to whiney, and I saw him more as a concept in the movie rather than a character. I don't feel wonder woman was shoehorned in either. I think she's possibly the most recognisable of the justice league and a good choice to link into the upcoming movies with. And no, Lex isn't just a quirky genius, but seeing as this is the first time he's really faced off against superman I can only assume they'll be more to come and this is something of an origin story for him.

Cavills superman has always been horribly whiny. Less so in this than in Man of Steel (another awful film) tbf. As for Wonder Woman, let's be fair - she was barely involved, little interaction with Batman or Superman during the film (bar the chat in the gallery) then suddenly pops up for the fight having been leaving (with no explanation as to where she was going); for something obviously meant to set her solo film + the justice league film she was so inconsequential and only really there for the sake of saying "Wonder Woman exists".

The resolution to the fight of BvS was possibly a bit odd, but it was because he saw the human side of superman and could relate, not just "because their mums had the same name".

Except he was going to kill superman until superman said his mums name was Martha, and Batman had a flash back to his parents. If it wasn't because their mums had the same name then the film did a very bad job of not shouting about that being the reason.

Marvel villains in general are just god awful. Whiplash/Hammer, Ronan, Killian. I even find Loki to be just an annoying child like character. Sure, he creates some interesting plot twists, but just not for me at all, although he might redeem himself in Ragnorak. The only main villains in the entire cinematic universe to date that I found particularly engaging were Ultron and Malekith. Redskull wasn't too bad.

They misused Ronan and the Mandarin, but Loki (he's chaotic and unpredictable, like he should be) Redskull, Alexander Pierce were all done really well, likewise Fisk and Kilgrave in the tv shows.
Reply 28
Cavills superman has always been horribly whiny. Less so in this than in Man of Steel (another awful film) tbf. As for Wonder Woman, let's be fair - she was barely involved, little interaction with Batman or Superman during the film (bar the chat in the gallery) then suddenly pops up for the fight having been leaving (with no explanation as to where she was going); for something obviously meant to set her solo film + the justice league film she was so inconsequential and only really there for the sake of saying "Wonder Woman exists".

We're just going to keep disagreeing on the whininess so I'll ignore it. Why should Wonder Woman have been any more involved? It wasn't her movie after all, she was included just as a way forward to what they have planned. If it was a marvel movie she wouldn't have been included beyond the scene where Bruce gets the drive back and then the scene where he looks at her picture just would have been relegated to yet another end credits scene :wink:

Except he was going to kill superman until superman said his mums name was Martha, and Batman had a flash back to his parents. If it wasn't because their mums had the same name then the film did a very bad job of not shouting about that being the reason.

Yes, the mothers sharing the name was the trigger, but it wasn't the reason. I don't think there was any need for them to shout about it.

They misused Ronan and the Mandarin, but Loki (he's chaotic and unpredictable, like he should be) Redskull, Alexander Pierce were all done really well, likewise Fisk and Kilgrave in the tv shows.

Loki I just find to be too much like a toddler, who gets used by everyone and throws his toys out the pram. As said Redskull was decent and I guess Pierce wasn't too bad. All the Ironman villains, but especially 2 and 3, were bad. I think they've definitely had more bad villains than good.

This is clearly something we're just going to keep disagreeing on largely due to personal interpretation and tastes, and is therefore not worth debating. I think BvS was a good movie, and better than Civil War. I've explained the reasons why I like it.
Original post by Dheorl
Why should Wonder Woman have been any more involved? It wasn't her movie after all, she was included just as a way forward to what they have planned. If it was a marvel movie she wouldn't have been included beyond the scene where Bruce gets the drive back and then the scene where he looks at her picture just would have been relegated to yet another end credits scene :wink:

If you're setting up a character for new movies and having them in before their own solo movie they should really at least whet the appetite and be an interesting tertiary character - Marvel did it right with Black Panther and Spiderman; side acts to the Stark vs Rodgers argument, but fleshed out well: they laid the framework for Black Panthers character and introduced Spiderman properly. Wonder Woman could have been replaced by absolutely anyone else in DCs roster without needing to change anything in the script.

Yes, the mothers sharing the name was the trigger, but it wasn't the reason. I don't think there was any need for them to shout about it.

And as I said, if it wasn't the reason then the film shouldn't have drilled it home as being the reason.
Reply 30
If you're setting up a character for new movies and having them in before their own solo movie they should really at least whet the appetite and be an interesting tertiary character - Marvel did it right with Black Panther and Spiderman; side acts to the Stark vs Rodgers argument, but fleshed out well: they laid the framework for Black Panthers character and introduced Spiderman properly. Wonder Woman could have been replaced by absolutely anyone else in DCs roster without needing to change anything in the script.

And as I said, if it wasn't the reason then the film shouldn't have drilled it home as being the reason.

Like I say, these are just points of personal preference that we're clearly not going to agree on. I thought spiderman in Civil War was a terrible addition but feel that Wonder Woman had just the right level of inclusion. You repeating that you don't see it that way isn't going to change anything.

And yes, you did say that, and I stated I didn't agree. I don't see what you're hoping to achieve by saying it again. No drilling home was necessary IMO.
Original post by DesiGirl31
This :h:

Altho i preferred BvS to Civil War :biggrin:

how can you
DC films are overrated and crap
the only one that was good was the batman trilogy with
Christian bale
and civil war got 90% rating on the rotten tomatoes
and bvs got 27%
u do da maths
Original post by 999tigger
Legends of Tomorrow sucked so bad I had to stop after episode seven. has it got better? Agents of Shield as well was terrible, but its meant to have gotten betters. Jessica Jones , Agent Carter and Daredevil have been pretty good. Gotham as well.

Part of the DC problem with films is Zack Snyder. Marvel films tend to be standard fare and nothing special, although Deadpool and GOTG were good.

Are u bloody kidding me
Agents of Shield is AMAZING
especially with the inhumans, hive and hydra take over
u must be out of ur bloody mind
no offense, though, I mean you got the agent carter part right!!!
Original post by Dheorl
Like I say, these are just points of personal preference that we're clearly not going to agree on. I thought spiderman in Civil War was a terrible addition but feel that Wonder Woman had just the right level of inclusion. You repeating that you don't see it that way isn't going to change anything.

And yes, you did say that, and I stated I didn't agree. I don't see what you're hoping to achieve by saying it again. No drilling home was necessary IMO.

My reason for saying it again is because you're missing my point - you can't really say that it's about batman seeing supermans human side when the film makes it quite clear it's because their mums shared the same name.

Alternatively if it is the human side marlaky can we agree that the film was so abysmally poorly written (because it was in general) that it instead made it look like it's because supermans mum was called Martha too,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
My reason for saying it again is because you're missing my point - you can't really say that it's about batman seeing supermans human side when the film makes it quite clear it's because their mums shared the same name.

Alternatively if it is the human side marlaky can we agree that the film was so abysmally poorly written (because it was in general) that it instead made it look like it's because supermans mum was called Martha too,

No, we can't, because to me it was so abundantly clear that it was more than just because of the name that there was no need for anything else. Like I say, in part it was because superman's mum is called Martha, that was the trigger that then set off the effect of batman's following emotions and decision to let superman go.

I think the writing of the movie was just grand.

As said previously, everything both of us have said in criticism and support of both movies is nothing more than opinion. In my opinion BvS was good and, bar the end, CV was a bit ****. Nothing wrong with that and nothing wrong with your opinion. You asked me the reasons for my opinion and I've done my best to explain them. If that isn't enough then there's not really much more I can do.
Original post by AmirahxRashid
how can you
Christian bale
and bvs got 27%
u do da maths

Woah there.
No need to get mega defensive about it pal.
Tbh, Ill always love the Batman Trilogy, Bale is :love: And the Dark Knight was by far my fave.
When it comes to DC over Marvel, ive just always preferred it that way. Dont go all "omg how can u bla bla bla"

U continue loving what u love, and ill continue with loving what i love thanks :yy:

Oh and dont tell me to "do da maths"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DesiGirl31
Woah there.
No need to get meg defensive about it pal.
Tbh, Ill always love the Batman Trilogy, Bale is :love: And the Dark Knight was by far my fave.
When it comes to DC over Marvel, ive just always preferred it that way. Dont go all "omg how can u bla bla bla"

U continue loving what u love, and ill continue with loving what i love thanks :yy:

Oh and dont tell me to "do da maths"

Chillax mate
btw don't call me ur pal!!
not getting "meg" defensive just givin ma views just like everyone else
and ill take ur advice and continuing what I love
just so u knw I like the batman trilogy too
gla we agree on summat!!!
Reply 37
Chillax mate

You weren't just "givin ya views", you were questioning her views and saying she was wrong.

As seen by my discussion with the OP I also think BvS was better than CW. If you don't agree that's grand, but being defensive just because someone doesn't like the movie you do is hugely childish.
Chillax mate

Ok :h:
Original post by Dheorl
You weren't just "givin ya views", you were questioning her views and saying she was wrong.

As seen by my discussion with the OP I also think BvS was better than CW. If you don't agree that's grand, but being defensive just because someone doesn't like the movie you do is hugely childish.

:five:
Original post by Ras' Al Ghul
2011 till now isn't that long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Marvel Cinematic Universe started with Iron Man in 2008.

He was owned by Fox (like the X-Men) until last year, so Marvels film studio couldn't use him.

Spider-Man was (and still is) owned by Sony. They are sharing the rights with Marvel: Sony are financing the upcoming solo Spider-Man film while Marvel has creative control - they picked Tom Holland to play him and chose the director etc. Good call IMO.

how can you
Christian bale
and bvs got 27%
u do da maths

It's ironic that the only good DC films so far are Christian Bale and Michael Keaton's Batman films when they're not actually part of the current universe DC is building so they don't count. I did enjoy Man Of Steel but it worked better as a solo film and did nothing to establish a continuity like Marvel have been doing for years. DC started their universe as an afterthought in the wake of Marvel's success, made some hasty decisions and stuffed too much into Batman V Superman, which is why it didn't do well. I haven't seen it myself, but I can already tell that Captain America is the superior film.

Quick Reply

Latest