The Student Room Group

National 5 French 2016

How is everyone feeling for French on Monday?
To be honest French is not my favourite subject altough I got A in the prelim also hoping for an A in the exam..

Scroll to see replies

French is my favorite subject so I have no worries, got 99% in the prelim. I would be so happy if I got 100% in the final exam :smile:
Don't need to study for French, I will just look over some stuff the day before.
Reply 2
Original post by ___Sophie___
French is my favorite subject so I have no worries, got 99% in the prelim. I would be so happy if I got 100% in the final exam :smile:
Don't need to study for French, I will just look over some stuff the day before.

Nice.. You see for the writing what can they ask you for the unpredictable point?
Original post by Lewis H01
Nice.. You see for the writing what can they ask you for the unpredictable point?

20160513_210649.jpg
Reply 4
20160513_210649.jpg

That's great, thanks. I don't think I was in class when my teacher gave out them sheets.
How hard do you think the reading will be?
That's great, thanks. I don't think I was in class when my teacher gave out them sheets.
How hard do you think the reading will be?

You're welcome. The reading papers seem to usually be of a similar standard so if you can cope with the past papers and model papers then you'll be fine with the final exam I'm sure. Just make sure you give as much detail that you possibly can for each question because people often lose marks for a lack of detail. :smile:
Reply 6
Well done Sophie, that is absolutely amazing!! Do you know any good techniques or skills for the reading part of the paper, this is what I struggle in the most! Thanks
Reply 7
You're welcome. The reading papers seem to usually be of a similar standard so if you can cope with the past papers and model papers then you'll be fine with the final exam I'm sure. Just make sure you give as much detail that you possibly can for each question because people often lose marks for a lack of detail. :smile:

Yeah, totally agree. Remember we still have the speaking which can boost our marks up. :smile:
Original post by M.U.A
Well done Sophie, that is absolutely amazing!! Do you know any good techniques or skills for the reading part of the paper, this is what I struggle in the most! Thanks

As I mentioned before try to make sure that you give as much detail for each question as you possibly can.
Make sure you can recognise what tense a verb is in. For national 5 you should know how to recognize the present tense, perfect tense (a form of the past tense) and probably also the future tense, imperfect tense (another form of the past tense) and perhaps even the conditional tense.
If you have a dictionary with verbs at the back then this could help you.
Learn your 'false friends' which are words which look like an English word but have a different meaning. For example attendre does not mean to attend it means to wait, sensible does not mean sensible it means sensitive.
Learn your negative phrases. In one of the papers, I think it was last years, 'ne... que' was used which means only, but many people saw 'ne' and interpreted it as 'ne... pas' and therefore got it wrong. Some other examples are ne... rien which means nothing and ne... personne which means nobody.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Thank you so much 😀, fingers crossed it goes well
Original post by M.U.A
Thank you so much 😀, fingers crossed it goes well

You're welcome, best of luck :smile:
does it matter if you go over the 150 words in the writing part of the exam
Reply 12
20160513_210649.jpg

Any clues for the unpredictable point, I am worried for them? :frown:
Original post by 7894561230
does it matter if you go over the 150 words in the writing part of the exam

Pretty sure there isn't a word limit
Any clues for the unpredictable point, I am worried for them? :frown:

Well I guess they won't use the same unpredictable points two years in a row so that rules out reasons for wanting to work with children and an enquiry about what there is to do in the area.
You only need to write 1 or 2 sentences for the unpredictable points anyway and you do get a dictionary so I wouldn't worry. :smile:
Reply 15
Well I guess they won't use the same unpredictable points two years in a row so that rules out reasons for wanting to work with children and an enquiry about what there is to do in the area.
You only need to write 1 or 2 sentences for the unpredictable points anyway and you do get a dictionary so I wouldn't worry. :smile:

It could be about your experience working with the public...
I never knew you get a dictionary.. :colondollar:
It could be about your experience working with the public...
I never knew you get a dictionary.. :colondollar:

Yes you do get a dictionary lol
The reading and writing are in the same exam so you get a dictionary for that but you don't get a dictionary for the listening
I don't take french but wishing you all the best for tomorrow :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Ethan100
I don't take french but wishing you all the best for tomorrow :smile:

Lets hope the SQA don't screw you over.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending