The Student Room Group

C1 electrolysis process for AQA

Could someone please explain the process of electrolysis for C1 AQA Chemistry? I'm having trouble wording it into a 6 mark answer.
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Isn't electrolysis unit 2? Or do you mean electrolysis to purify metals?
Reply 2
Original post by Silverrose
Could someone please explain the process of electrolysis for C1 AQA Chemistry? I'm having trouble wording it into a 6 mark answer.
Thanks! :smile:

You don't need to know much about electrolysis in unit 1, its more prominent in C2. All you need to know is that metals less reactive than carbon are extracted using reduction with carbon, which is where carbon displaces the metal, forming CO2, leaving the pure metal behind. If the metal is more reactive however, electrolysis is required.
Reply 3
Original post by rheaj44
Isn't electrolysis unit 2? Or do you mean electrolysis to purify metals?

Yes, using it to purify metals!
Reply 4
Original post by Silverrose
Yes, using it to purify metals!

I'm not sure about a six marker on it and how to get marks, but I know one metal they might ask about is electrolysis of copper, where the positive copper ions move through the electrolyte of copper sulphate to the negative electrode. The negative electrode collects the pure copper, while the positive electrode is just impurities that dissolve to sludge.

How that helped :smile: Haven't done much C1 revision yet because I have biology first, so sorry if it's incorrect :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest