The Student Room Group

British National Anthem

Firstly I have nothing against Royalists or Christians however I believe "God Save the Queen" is a bit outdated for our national anthem. Britain has become much more diverse so I think we should have a more appropriate national anthem to represent the people of Britain, rather than the monarch.

Would you want the national anthem changed and if so, what would you change it to?

Scroll to see replies

lol it's fine how it is
Reply 3
Original post by Zargabaath
lol it's fine how it is

Spoiler

Original post by nucdev

Spoiler

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
i like god save the queen. minorities should change for us not us for them we have already sold out being part of the federalist eu. lets not go the whole hog and give up all semblance of our national identity
Reply 6
We should change it, but only on the basis that it's a dull song / tune.

I vow to thee my country. Much better.
Original post by neal95
i like god save the queen. minorities should change for us not us for them we have already sold out being part of the federalist eu. lets not go the whole hog and give up all semblance of our national identity

I never mentioned minorities. I was talking about embracing Britishness without religion or royalty. Something like Land of Hope and Glory or Rule Britannia
Wouldn't want it changed. I'm not religious but it would feel wrong to change something which has been part of British culture for so long (and doesn't seem to cause any harm). Besides, "God" doesn't HAVE to mean the Christian God.
Original post by agentawesome
I never mentioned minorities. I was talking about embracing Britishness without religion or royalty. Something like Land of Hope and Glory or Rule Britannia

those 2 would be good shouts aswell but whilst the queen is still our monarch we should keep it
Flying Spaghetti Monster save the Queen
I ve always preferred the Welsh one, there's no mention of a God and the chorus is quite patriotic translates to something like "pledging to our land and may the language never die". I may have lost my fluency in Welsh but will always remember the anthem.
It should be changed to remove the connotations with God (not necessarily Christianity, but to remove connections with any religion), and also to celebrate all people of Britain and not just a single person who has their title due to inheritance rather than merit. *prepares to get attacked by royalists*

I think Rule Britannia is the most catchy, but it's a bit imperialistic. Perhaps Land of Hope and Glory, but that also has religious overtones. To be honest, it'll probably be hard to find an appropriate tune that doesn't mention religion, unfortunately.
Vague Spiritual Feeling save our gracious Queen!
Long live our noble Queen!
Vague Spiritual Feeling save the Queen!

Diderdiderdider

Send Her less dowdy clothes ,
Give Her a makeover,
Or lefties will depose
Our Ancient Queen

:sad:
Original post by claireestelle
I ve always preferred the Welsh one, there's no mention of a God and the chorus is quite patriotic translates to something like "pledging to our land and may the language never die". I may have lost my fluency in Welsh but will always remember the anthem.

I would much prefer an anthem where we pledge to the land rather than the monarch.
(edited 7 years ago)
I would much prefer an anthem where we pledge to the land rather than the monarch.

Us Welsh do tend to look pretty passionate when we sing our anthem. The English translation wouldn't sound as great when sung compared to the Welsh but something with similar meanings would be a good british anthem. Having been an atheist for years singing God save the queen never feels right at all.
Original post by JRKinder
It should be changed to remove the connotations with God (not necessarily Christianity, but to remove connections with any religion), and also to celebrate all people of Britain and not just a single person who has their title due to inheritance rather than merit. *prepares to get attacked by royalists*

I think Rule Britannia is the most catchy, but it's a bit imperialistic. Perhaps Land of Hope and Glory, but that also has religious overtones. To be honest, it'll probably be hard to find an appropriate tune that doesn't mention religion, unfortunately.

I agree. I am non-religious so it doesn't make me feel patriotic when I feel forced to sing it at public events. Jeremy Corbyn was penalised for not singing it and was branded "unpatriotic" so I think the national anthem should be something that nobody should feel uncomfortable singing.
Land of hope and glory
I agree. I am non-religious so it doesn't make me feel patriotic when I feel forced to sing it at public events. Jeremy Corbyn was penalised for not singing it and was branded "unpatriotic" so I think the national anthem should be something that nobody should feel uncomfortable singing.
Yeah, it wasn't unpatriotic he was just expressing disdain for the monarchy, which is perfectly valid and a view I support. As a staunch atheist it's also loathsome to me to have to sing a song about "God" blessing said institution, it's just really off-putting at sporting events etc. I could definitely have fun singing Rule Britannia, especially attempting the proper accent to do it in :biggrin: Not sure how well it would go down with foreign nations though, at least it's not as bad as the lyrics to France's national anthem (which is nevertheless a great tune)!
The anthem is more representative of England than of Britain as a whole. We need something different, maybe the Rocky theme, or a Bon Jovi sing song. Personally I would prefer something in morse code than God Save the Queen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending