The Student Room Group

How to leave home without parents finding out?

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Get somebody else to be your guarantor then.
But anyways your 24 years old be a ****ing adult and tell your parents you've had it with their **** and your running away from home.
Reply 2
You are 24 and you are worried about your parents?!
Reply 3
Its not that I am worried about my parents- Its because they are nosy? If I move out they want to know where I live etc. and if they do they will keep pestering me even and bothering in my life even if I dont live at home.
Reply 4
Original post by IAmYourdog
Get somebody else to be your guarantor then.
But anyways your 24 years old be a ****ing adult and tell your parents you've had it with their **** and your running away from home.

I don't have anyone else?
Reply 5
Unless you aren't telling the whole story, and your family are abusive, if you are grown up enough to live by yourself then you should be grown up enough to say you are going. It isn't as if you will be able to stuff pillows under your duvet every night and pretend you are in bed!
Original post by Ladybird78
I don't have anyone else?

Too bad. But anyways if your not going to be an adult and tell them your running away from home. Just forward your mail to a different address.
I'm sorry but to me you still come across as a teenager trying to escape home. Why not openly do something than stab your parents like that? Parents will always be parents regardless of what age you are. Have you not thought for a second what they would go through to see a loved one disappear out of the blue? It angers me to hear people advise you and say 'you're 24 and worried about parents?'. People grow old but still have love for their parents. So what if they're being nosy? The least you could do is respond back to them instead of cutting them off like that, grow up.
Reply 8
Too bad. But anyways if your not going to be an adult and tell them your running away from home. Just forward your mail to a different address.

Its not 'running' away from home. I am leaving and there is a difference.
Its not 'running' away from home. I am leaving and there is a difference.

No. An adult would be "leaving" home by being honest with their parents.
A child would be running away from home when their parents aren't home and leaving a note . <--- you. lol.
Reply 10
Original post by Leukocyte
I'm sorry but to me you still come across as a teenager trying to escape home. Why not openly do something than stab your parents like that? Parents will always be parents regardless of what age you are. Have you not thought for a second what they would go through to see a loved one disappear out of the blue? It angers me to hear people advise you and say 'you're 24 and worried about parents?'. People grow old but still have love for their parents. So what if they're being nosy? The least you could do is respond back to them instead of cutting them off like that, grow up.

Salute to that. His mother had to put up with his foolishness for 9 months and then on top of that another 18 years, along with his father. His parents seem over protective but thats because they care for him, yet he wants to abandon them. Asian culture taught me to respect my parents and take the punishments/ over protectiveness as ultimately, that will shape me to be a civilised adult. He should just approach them and say he respects their decision but its time he makes his own. Maybe they will be a bit angry, but they may also want him to say that, as it shows he is capable of being a man.
Reply 11
A child would be running away from home when their parents aren't home and leaving a note . <--- you. lol.

Thanks for nothing then?
Thanks for nothing then?

How can you say that.

Anyway, to get to the point, I want to 'leave' without them knowing.
If I rent a flat, I will have to provide my current address (i.e. parents home). Then they may send some correspondence home which could get me busted?

Can anyone advise me on this? I don't want my parents to get any information on where I possibly could be.

Thanks for all your help guys

Just forward your mail to a different address.

The only advice you have been given on this thread other than talking to your parents.

I want a sincere thanks because that's the best advice anyone could've given you with the limited information you provided us.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi all,

I have decided to leave home now that I have finished uni. Though I have expressed this to my parents and they would never be happy about me leaving. Also my parents are sort of 'stalkerish' they like to know where I am, who my friends are, where I would be working etc and check up on me.

Anyway, to get to the point, I want to 'leave' without them knowing.
If I rent a flat, I will have to provide my current address (i.e. parents home). Then they may send some correspondence home which could get me busted?
If I apply for a house share, I may need a guarantor (i.e. parents)- this is another dead end. Though I will have a job before I apply leave home and I am 24, though I have been told I may still need a guarantor.

Can anyone advise me on this? I don't want my parents to get any information on where I possibly could be.

Thanks for all your help guys

If you really want to vanish, then you are going to need to think this through properly and it will take a lot of planning.

You also need to be committed. as its not an action to take lightly.

It will involve cutting yourself off from social media and friends.
You should probably change your name and you are going to have to prepare yourself a new life to switch into.

If your parents really want to come after you then they will inform the police and maybe even a private investigator, so you cannot leave a trace of where you are.

This touches on some of the issues

http://wish.co.uk/blog/disappear-completely-never-found/

You dont know what her situation is. She might have very good reasons for wanting to leave and cut contact.

If the parents wont leave her alone, then thats a good enough reason for her to wnat to get away. Nothing wrong with leaving a note and starting fresh. Some people you cant chat with and they wont change their ways.
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
You dont know what her situation is. She might have very good reasons for wanting to leave and cut contact.

If the parents wont leave her alone, then thats a good enough reason for her to wnat to get away. Nothing wrong with leaving a note and starting fresh. Some people you cant chat with and they wont change their ways.

That does not sound like a good enough reason to disappear from your parent's life forever to me. You would break their hearts, all because you didn't want to tell them where you went on Friday night.
Original post by HFBS
That does not sound like a good enough reason to disappear from your parent's life forever to me. You would break their hearts, all because you didn't want to tell them where you went on Friday night.

Where dies she say forever?
Its not about where she was on a Friday night though.
She's an adult, she can vanish if she wants to.

Not a measure to be taken lightly, but her choice all the same.
Reply 17
Where dies she say forever?
Its not about where she was on a Friday night though.
She's an adult, she can vanish if she wants to.

Not a measure to be taken lightly, but her choice all the same.

Yes their choice, but a pretty damn ungrateful one if the worst that can be said about the parents is that they are nosy.

I think we are getting half a story.

Ultimately though, I feel the OP should just grow the hell up and tell their parents that they will be moving out. As I said before, unless there is abuse that has not been mentioned, this would be the adult way for an adult to do what adults do. Repetition for emphasis.
Original post by HFBS
Yes their choice, but a pretty damn ungrateful one if the worst that can be said about the parents is that they are nosy.

I think we are getting half a story.

Ultimately though, I feel the OP should just grow the hell up and tell their parents that they will be moving out. As I said before, unless there is abuse that has not been mentioned, this would be the adult way for an adult to do what adults do. Repetition for emphasis.

I dont know whether she is pretty ungrateful I havent lived her life.

If she wants to vanish and has good reason to do so, then telling them in advance rather defeats the object. She can leave them a note explaining her decision. She shouild think it though, but still her decision.
Reply 19
I dont know whether she is pretty ungrateful I havent lived her life.

If she wants to vanish and has good reason to do so, then telling them in advance rather defeats the object. She can leave them a note explaining her decision. She shouild think it though, but still her decision.

Last time with the circular argument. A bit nosey is not good reason to let your parents wonder if you are still alive.

OP has not specified a better reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending