The Student Room Group

GMP apologise for allowing mock terrorist to shout 'Allahu Akbar' during simulation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolatmaths
Point is, it can be argued that hatred against muslims can be considered as racial hatred and is recognised like this in a court as well.

This is utter nonsense. Hatred against Moslems would be considered religious hatred in a criminal court, not racial hatred.
Youve basically dismissed it because ' the social construct sociology has contrubuted to is ********'

There are too many assumptions in that link for it to hold any sort of weight at all. "Othering" people is not necessarily a bad thing. People don't have to have exactly the same labels as myself for me to like or respect them. Why can't we just celebrate the positive differences between each other and also condemn the bad things. Which is what I do when I say I dislike Islamic culture. Disliking a culture is one's prerogative.
Original post by Good bloke
This is utter nonsense. Hatred against Moslems would be considered religious hatred in a criminal court, not racial hatred.

Google it. And dont bother demeaning muslims, makes you look like a fool
Original post by Jebedee
There are too many assumptions in that link for it to hold any sort of weight at all. "Othering" people is not necessarily a bad thing. People don't have to have exactly the same labels as myself for me to like or respect them. Why can't we just celebrate the positive differences between each other and also condemn the bad things. Which is what I do when I say I dislike Islamic culture. Disliking a culture is one's prerogative.

I agree that its arguable, but there is grounds at which you can make the claim. Its widely considered racial hatred in the media and in the law too. The article wasnt eloquent but the main point is fairly reasonable, as well as its justification
I agree that its arguable, but there is grounds at which you can make the claim. Its widely considered racial hatred in the media and in the law too. The article wasnt eloquent but the main point is fairly reasonable, as well as its justification

Simple appeal to authority fallacy. One can very easily point to some extremely major flaws in the media and law's take on certain issues, this being one of them.

The colour of a person's skin and a person's religion have next to no relation. Especially in Islam where your typical "brown Arab" that you seem so certain we are racist towards don't even make up the majority of.
Google it. And dont bother demeaning muslims, makes you look like a fool

I have no need to google it. Rather than being the same, they were not even originally made illegal by the same legislation. The Public Order Act 1986 made inciting racial hatred a criminal offence. This act was then amended by the (very short) Racial and Religious Act 2006, which amended it to add the incitement of religious hatred as an offence. The latter legislation even has the following opening sentence:

An Act to make provision about offences involving stirring up hatred against persons on racial or religious grounds.

from which is is obvious that the two grounds are different.

I don't understand what you mean about demeaning Moslems. How does citing legislation, or otherwise correcting an incorrect statement, do that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending