The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE BIOLOGY UNIT 1 Predictions!

What main topics do you think will come up on the exam paper?
and for the 6 marker?

I think the 6 marker is going to be about:
* homeostasis or Genetic engineering.

Scroll to see replies

What kind of things would you have to talk about for genetic engineering?
Reply 2
Original post by Bethan Louise

Methods for making a GM crop
Original post by Bethan Louise

probablyit will give you an extract on a specifc gm plant/ etc...
and you have to evaluate the advantages/disadvantages of using it.
Original post by shohaib712
probablyit will give you an extract on a specifc gm plant/ etc...
and you have to evaluate the advantages/disadvantages of using it.

Okay! Thank you and good luck 😊
Reply 5
Perhaps the stages of a drugs trial? Or vaccinations?
Original post by MBK14
Perhaps the stages of a drugs trial? Or vaccinations?

I hope its drug trials - that topic is easy!
Reply 7
I hope its drug trials - that topic is easy!

I know it would be a very easy 6 marker
Reply 8
I'm really hoping for something to do with the hormones involved in the menstrual cycle, but I doubt it'll come up as a 6 marker :frown:
I believe Thalidomide might come up, because it's been in quite a few past papers (as far as I can remember), as well as natural selection, but they might change it up a bit
Reply 9
Original post by KaiaLe
I'm really hoping for something to do with the hormones involved in the menstrual cycle, but I doubt it'll come up as a 6 marker :frown:
I believe Thalidomide might come up, because it's been in quite a few past papers (as far as I can remember), as well as natural selection, but they might change it up a bit
The specification is ending soon so I'm thinking they might choose areas that they haven't really tested before instead of sticking to the same old thalidomide and natural selection - I feel they've exhausted those. I might be wrong though.
Reply 10
Original post by MBK14
The specification is ending soon so I'm thinking they might choose areas that they haven't really tested before instead of sticking to the same old thalidomide and natural selection - I feel they've exhausted those. I might be wrong though.

It sounds like a pretty realistic thing to do, so I imagine that you're right^^ (It's a shame though, I don't mind those topics :tongue:)
Original post by KaiaLe

There isn't much to talk about thalidomide so i really doubt it would come up.
probably a 4 marker about the pros/cons of increasing fertility drugs?
Reply 12
Since this is one of the last examinations of this specification, I think they might steer clear of topics they've examined in the past and cover areas of the specification that haven't really been touched upon. Consequently, I doubt thalidomide, adaptions, auxin in plants and impacts of an unbalanced diet will come up, as well as evolution. Instead, I'm thinking drugs trials, homeostasis, menstrual cycle or the differences in sexual and asexual reproduction?
Reply 13
There isn't much to talk about thalidomide so i really doubt it would come up.
probably a 4 marker about the pros/cons of increasing fertility drugs?

Ah, I meant the 1/2 mark questions about thalidomide, but yeah, I agree :h:
Which part of homeostasis is in B1?
do you think there will be questions about graphs etc like last years paper?
Reply 16
Original post by haniyasaeed
do you think there will be questions about graphs etc like last years paper?

these questions come up every year, its part of the spec
Reply 17
I think homeostasis is unlikely. That's more of a main topic in B3 and there's not much they can ask about it in B1.
homeostasis is very brief in B1 so I doubt it will come up. As someone said, B3 is where homeostasis really comes in.
If "describe what is meant by natural selection" comes up I will actually kiss the paper :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending