The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by anonymouus1
Hi, just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

How much would salary of a consultant working in a private hospital & the NHS?
and what do GP's earn if they have their own private practice?
thanks.

GPs I think they earn between £75,000 and 150,000 pa.
Reply 2
Original post by M14B

Is that if they own their own private practice or an NHS gp?
Reply 3
Is that if they own their own private practice or an NHS gp?

NHS
(my grandma is a GP in Kent)
Reply 4
Original post by M14B
NHS
(my grandma is a GP in Kent)

Alright thanks, do you have any idea of the salaries of private practice GP's?
Reply 5
Alright thanks, do you have any idea of the salaries of private practice GP's?

Sorry I do not, but I would imagine the earning potential is higher for good doctors.
Reply 6
Original post by M14B
Sorry I do not, but I would imagine the earning potential is higher for good doctors.

Yeah, it's ok, thanks for your help.
Original post by M14B

:facepalm:

Hi, just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

How much would salary of a consultant working in a private hospital & the NHS?
and what do GP's earn if they have their own private practice?
thanks.

This is all very googleable. If you're keeping up with the news you'll be aware that the details surrounding junior doctors' pay and work contracts are all very up in the air at the moment. Consultants could very well be next.

In other words, by the time you become a consultant everything will have almost certainly changed. Probably several times. Still, if you're interested:

http://www.bma.org.uk/support-at-work/pay-fees-allowances/pay-scales/consultants-pay-england

http://www.bma.org.uk/support-at-work/pay-fees-allowances/pay-scales/general-practitioners-pay
Original post by M14B

Because we allow bad doctors to practice, but only on the cheap...

For the love of Christ :mad:
Reply 9
Original post by Democracy
:facepalm:

This is all very googleable. If you're keeping up with the news you'll be aware that the details surrounding junior doctors' pay and work contracts are all very up in the air at the moment. Consultants could very well be next.

In other words, by the time you become a consultant everything will have almost certainly changed. Probably several times. Still, if you're interested:

http://www.bma.org.uk/support-at-work/pay-fees-allowances/pay-scales/consultants-pay-england

http://www.bma.org.uk/support-at-work/pay-fees-allowances/pay-scales/general-practitioners-pay

Ok, are you a doctor yourself?
Reply 10

Keep your hair on.
:biggrin:
Ok, are you a doctor yourself?

I'm a medical student.
I'm a medical student.

Cool! which medical school to you attend?
Cool! which medical school to you attend?

BMS, the Best Medical School :wink:
BMS, the Best Medical School :wink:

Awesome, on par with Oxbridge that is.

Could have meant private health. :wink:
Original post by champ_mc99
Could have meant private health. :wink:

I'm sure he did. But it's still nonsensical to speak of "good" and "bad" doctors and to correlate that to career progression and salary.

No medic would ever talk that way, it's oversimplified and meaningless. Leave it to the tabloids tbh.
I'm sure he did. But it's still nonsensical to speak of "good" and "bad" doctors and to correlate that to career progression and salary.

No medic would ever talk that way, it's oversimplified and meaningless. Leave it to the tabloids tbh.

Sorry for keeping this going... but it can mean...

Good doctors = More Exp = More pay
Reply 18
GP salaries are highly variable because each practice sets the wages for their GPs independently. GP surgeries are in places with different costs of living, have different levels of desirability, staffing requirements etc, so it is hard to generalise for a whole country. Anecdotally though, a brand new GP in Birmingham will make 60-80k, and that will only increase with time. It's not a way to make megabucks, but GPs certainly aren't poor

Asking about private practice is pretty much impossible though. For a start, most doctors don't really publicise those figures for obvious reasons. Secondly, like any business it really depends on your area, reputation, and experience. I know of some eminent surgeons who are so in demand that they rack up their prices to stupid levels just to decrease their workload, and people still pay. You've got to remember though that this is only achievable after working for 30+ yeard and if you are VERY good

I wouldn't think too much about the salary though. Doctors can, by and large, afford a comfortable middle class lifestyle. Those who don't - either rich or poor, are generally the exception. If you want to be rich, do business in the city
It seems odd to be looking at private general practice. That is a niche market and outside large cities with a lot of tourists and wealthy people you would struggle to earn as much as an NHS GP. In the future there may be only private GPs but at the moment there are very few although most NHS GPs do some private work but that is mainly insurance medicals and reports and letters people want their GP to write that aren't NHS work. I've worked as a GP for over 20 years (mainly in Scotland) and only met one private GP and he had to do some NHS locums to supplement his income.

Latest

Trending

Trending